Coherence (2013)

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Aug 10, 2014.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Last weekend, the local film festival was going on. I wrote about most of the genre films I caught (The Babadook, Creep, Zombeavers, Cold In July), but there were a couple I never got around to. Now that things have died down a bit, I thought I'd chime in on two others I caught during the festival...

[​IMG]

Coherence is an entirely dialog driven science fiction thriller about a rather bizarre dinner party. As a comet goes by overhead, the power goes out. Only one other house down the street has power, so when a few of the group go to investigate... they find themselves, having a dinner party.

Turns out the comet has opened up two parallel timelines, allowing two different variations of the same event to occur. However, once the comet passes, the two timelines will merge together, meaning one of the timelines will collapse. And our dinner guests want to make sure that they're the ones who continue on after the comet passes. But with the doppelgangers crossing back and forth between the two houses, it becomes increasingly difficult to tell who is who and if anyone is even who they say they are.

The movie is actually very good, keeping you thinking while still being easy to follow. There was another movie with the same concept recently called +1, but while that one is all style and doesn't make a whole lot of sense, this one is actually quite gripping and well-thought out, easily the superior of the two films.

My problem with the film... mumblecore. Ugh, I hate mumblecore. I guess people enjoy how naturalistic it makes the movie feel, but to me, it just says that the screenwriter was too lazy to do their job. Fortunately, the movie is fast paced enough to where it doesn't really suffer from it. But a lot of the dialogue is clearly improved, especially early on with characters rambling on and talking over each other. Nicolas Brendon (the only recognizable face here) randomly blurts out that he's a TV star from the show Roswell. The grey haired woman was by far the worst. Everything she said was simply a plot device. It's been a week since I've seen it, so it isn't exactly fresh in my mind, but for example, if someone asks if they have a flashlight, she chimes in "you know... I think we have a flashlight... in the garage... where the cars go... in the garage... is where the flashlights are..." Ugh, I hate mumblecore! If the movie had a script, this wouldn't be a problem.

On the topic of mumblecore though, Creep was also mumblecore, but that one actually does it very well. This one, not so much. Although the plot here is quite focused, so I appreciate that they put the thought in there.

Mumblecore aside, I would definitely recommend this one. Just don't expect explosions, action scenes, and special effects. If anyone here has seen The Man From Earth, that should give you a decent idea of what to expect tonally, although this film is a lot darker.

2. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Sounds like something I would like to check out sometime. Thanks for your review and input.

Looks interesting. Cheers

3. CPT HOOK

No blu-ray for Coherence here in the US I'm afraid. Shame, because it's a really good little movie. Oscilloscope is releasing the film on DVD only on January 20th.

Although it looks like there are blu-rays in Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden should you choose to import.

4. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Its free to stream from Amazon Prime.

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Just watched this one now and thought for the most part it was excellent. I agree about the mumblecore which is pretty pointless and boring during the first 15-20 of the film. I get why they wanted to use it though as it creates a very real to life feeling that I think amps up the weirdness that follows as the film goes on.

My main gripe with the film is I felt like it was all leading to a twist or big wtf moment which didn't really happen. The ending definitely left me a little disappointed as there wasn't much of a twist or shocking revelation that I was anticipating. Maybe it was because the character they chose to end it with starting doing things that I felt was out of character for them.

That aside though I'd recommend this one for a watch for sure. Once it gets going it becomes quite interesting and trippy at times too.

6. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

I got around to watching this over the weekend. I thought it was really really good. And I thought the ending was well done. But I wasnt expecting a "twist" so maybe thats why.

7. CPT HOOK

...but
    was it really her?
    :eek2:

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well yes, I guess you could argue that it wasn't.

Considering moments before she was aware that her and another guest weren't from that reality I found it a bit surprising she'd just up and leave without him. Any time we saw her she'd been pretty level headed about the issues at hand so sneaking off by herself and then killing a version of herself seemed like risks her character (or any version we'd seen of her prior) would have avoided.

9. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I put this movie recently on my list after seeing some others with similar situations. It sounds good from what I heard.

10. thrashard76

thrashard76 Thrash or be Thrashed

I haven't seen a good mindfuck movie in a while. This should be right up my alley.

11. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

I had a similar reaction to others. The technical aspects of the movie are low (the first 15 minutes are tough to get through) but once the plot kicks in the improvisation, bad lighting, bad framing can be ignored. For a change we have a "mind bending" scifi movie that moves the plot along at an appropriate speed. Just fast enough to get ahead of our expectations while still keeping us engaged and not overly confused. And the ending is great.

***/****

12. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Another one where I'm late to the game. It was the mumblecore aspect that kept me away. But, man, I really regret not giving this a go back when it was floating around the theaters. Yeah, the shooting style is annoying and really does wear for the first 15 minutes or so. But, on the early positive side, the characters are mostly interesting and the general dynamics of the group are pretty efficiently laid out. And, once the plot really kicks in, it becomes one excellent film. My biggest complaint with most mublecore films is that they get rambly. Not this though. This is the way improvisational films should be put together. They may be making up their lines as they go, but the story is so tightly structured and paced and the atmosphere of dread and claustrophobia so well handled that it really becomes quite a wonderful ride. There were a couple of bumps with some of the side plot points early on - they really didn't sell that bit with the ketamine. But, overall this is solid, high-concept, low-budget film making. And, it's definitely a masterclass on what can be done with little money and a lot of imagination and creativity. I'm really surprised this didn't get the same level of hype that "Primer" did as I would say this is just as good.

And I didn't have any issues with Em's actions/motivations in the end...

as it was dropped earlier that she is from one of the realities where they are the bad people. That's dropped both as a line and apparent from the other character's actions. So I thought her attempts to sneak into one of the other realities were understandable, just not sympathetic

This is definitely a film that I will watch multiple times and one that I would recommend to pretty much anyone who is looking for some creative, thought-provoking, intelligent science fiction

soxfan666 and CPT HOOK like this.
  13. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Good to hear! I have stayed away due to the mumblecore aspect, but this review will get me to watch. Thanks!!