Club Dread

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I'll be seeing this Friday. I thought Super Troopers was decent, but I think this has far more potential. Looks interesting and funny from what I've seen of it, and even if the film winds up sucking, at least there'll be some hot women to look at. Oh yeah, Bill Paxton is in this too. That's a definite plus.

2. latenite

latenite Guest

as far as recent comedies go, super troopers was a success. and from the looks of the trailer this definitely has potential, but i doubt i'll pay theatre prices to see it.

3. Revoltor

Revoltor Guest

This movie has theater hop written all over it.

OMG, great Passion of Christ/Club Dread doublefeature, no?

4. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Super Troopers was funny as hell so this one "should" be good. The trailers on tv do nothing for me however.

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Super Troopers was that good? I never picked it up thinking it sucked.
    I might get me a copy after all.

6. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

There's alot of blood in this film right? I saw pics of a severed head and whatnot. :) The trailers seem to be misleading... I read it has something to do with someone killing off people at the resort. It's really funny though.

7. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

You can't beat my Dancer in the Dark/Dude, Where's My Car? double feature :lol:

I wasn't a fan of Super Troopers, so when i found out this was from the same people it made me not want to see it. And there's a few movies coming out next month that i'd see before this, so i'll probably wait until video.

8. latenite

latenite Guest

check out the trailer at apple.com, cuz i agree with you the tv spots do make it seem pretty bad but the full trailer looks pretty good..

9. Luna

Luna Guest

Haha, I just did a ROTK/Passion double feature today. Worked out well enough for me, anyway. ;)

Maybe I just wasn't paying much attention during these commercials, but it was slightly confusing. Next time, I'll make a point of watching the trailer.

10. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

the best double bill has to be Scooby Doo(movie)/Maniac.

11. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I'll definitely be seeing this one.

One of the members of Broken Lizard is a fan of My Bloody Valentine. So you know a lot of diverse early 80's slasher knowledge went into the making of this, if even only on a sub-consious level. :)

12. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

how things change...

I just got back from seeing this and surprisingly, it was hilarious. The characters were all entertaining, and it had a high body count with a lot of cool deaths. I think what I liked most about it was that even though it was going for comedy, it was still a slasher movie at heart. It never went over the top with the horror/comedy aspect of it. It was a perfect mix of both, IMO. The last few movies I've seen in theaters have been downers for the most part, so this was a nice break. Very entertaining.

13. poorlogic

poorlogic Guest

Thanks for the review life o petey, I think I'll go see it on Saturday.

14. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

This movie was fantastic! Seriously, I haven't laughed this much at a movie in a long, long time! Much better than Super Troopers IMO. The comedy was spot on. Everyone else in the theater seemed to be having a good time with it as well. There's also a decent amount of gore, and the film has the feel of a traditional slasher, just with all the far out situations and comedy included.

The cast is great. Bill Paxton is hilarious with his songs and funky 70s attitude. Jordan Ladd from Cabin Fever is perfect in her oddball role, and her nude scene is a major highlight. :sperm: Brittany Daniel is good as the main heroine, and the rest of the cast who play the island staff are truly downright hilarious, especially Ladd's love interest, Paxton's nephew, and the octopus-haired guy who has the hots for Daniel but can't have her.

Seriously, I had an outstanding time with this film! This has to be one of my new favorite comedies without a doubt. I really wasn't expecting this to be as good as it was, but damn, it rocked!

15. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

How dare you make me want to see this! :lol: Thanks for the brief heads up as I'm sure I'll enjoy this too when I get a chance to see it. :banana:

16. rhett

rhett Administrator

I saw it tonight too, and it is about on par with SUPER TROOPERS. It begins well, and then just starts running out of ideas. The last 20 minutes are tedium. Still, it did deliver its fair share of laughs, especially the campfire story with its abundance of pubic hair. Jordan Ladd's rack was indeed most impressive, I'm glad she finally decided to let those kittens out of the bag. It has a lot of fun with the slasher conventions, and some of the jokes, like the endless parade of suspects at the start and the "it must have been the wind!" quip were funny, but others, like the criminally overused "friend jumping out of the bush" gag got tired fast. Overall, the Broken Lizard gang has a good stock of actors and a unique brand of humor, even if the jokes do tend to be spotty at times. I'd marginally recommend it, if you liked SUPER TROOPERS then you'll like this just the same. Others not in with the "Lizard" brand of humor should just save their money, however.

17. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Has its moments but it loses steam real fast. Paxton was funny though. Thats all I gotta say about this. :sleepy:

Nick

18. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Damn, I was pretty disappointed in this. I laughed my ass off at SUPER TROOPERS, but this was pretty lame IMO. There were some funny moments and decent gore (and boobs), but overall it was a little bland.

19. I thought it was a great film...

Great classic comedy in the sense that there weren't any "Airplane" style gags...it was a full story that happened to have funny moments.

...and playing Pac-Man with people was a great idea. :banana:

20. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Haha, yeah, that Pacman game was one of the funniest things in the film! Hilarious.