Chinatowns in Major Cities, Good place for import vcds, dvds?

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Shannafey, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    So, I just came back from working in Philadelphia, and when I had some spare time, I walked around Chinatown. In one shop, they literally had hundreds of vcds and dvds from Asia. A lot of Region 3 stuff, but also, All region and vcd. A lot of U.S. releases from HK, but also Asian films. Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared and couldn't think of any films I really wanted except Jui- On and The Eye. They had Jui- On, but it didn't have English subs. I went through their selection for at least an hour, but came up with nothing I wanted, which was very discouraging, especially since they had a section of $3 vcds.

I was wondering. Do any of you live near a Chinatown in a major U.S. city? Do they have good sources of vcds/dvds? Especially New York, since I go there occasionally to visit family.

2. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Which store did you go in? If you say it had "hundreds" then I'm thinking it could only be one place and they just went out of business. :confused:

I don't buy any dvds from chinatown anymore though. It's just too expensive. I could get them online for much cheaper. The only cheap dvds are the anime ones and they are all boots.

3. poorlogic

poorlogic Guest

2D4EVER is correct, Chicago's Chinatown has a good selection, but I can get much, much better prices online.

In Chicago, there's a place we call "Little India" (Western & Devon), where I've bought my last 3 region-free DVD players, excellent prices and a great selection of DVD titles. I picked up "Don" for $6 (classic Bollywood flick, a must own!), and the transfer was awesome. I also bought a couple of floor rugs in "Little India" for $30, compared to $160 for the same damn thing at Ikea.

Just buy from Poker Industries, the prices should be much cheaper and they have a 20% discount code out now.

4. Shannafey

I didn't buy any of the dvds for that exact reason, too pricey!! I was mostly looking for vcds, which were $3 - $8. And 2D, I am so sorry, but I don't have the address, and don't know the city well, but it was a store that was a bookstore, for the most part, I just stumbled on it. I think their sign mentioned videos too, but can't remember. Wish I had gotten a card or something, but as I said, nothing I wanted, so it didn't matter much to me and this was the first time I had been in Philly in 7 years, and probably won't be back for that many, at least until my kids are old enough to appreciate the history!

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Every once in a while I go to boston chinaton. prices are usually $5 for VCDs and $10 for DVDs with brand new releases being a bit higher. prices may be expensive compared to online but they're still dirt cheap compared to domestic releases so i don't complain too much. There's five stores I can think of that sell movies. Only two of them have what I'd consider great selections though.

6. Hammerfan

Hammerfan Guest

At least in Chinatown in San Francisco, you can find vastly different prices if you just walk a few blocks. Some places will have the same thing but for double or half the price. I've browsed but never bought.

7. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

I was thinking of someplace else. I know where you're talking about though. All their dvds are in paper sleeves and are all or mostly bootlegs.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I think there's a Chinatown up in DC. That's about a 20 minute drive from my house so maybe I'll check it out one day.

9. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Guest

In NYC, go as east as you can on Canal St. and if you turn left, you should see 3 different stores on Bowery St. I buy my R3 discs there exclusively, they don't charge tax if you pay in cash, and I got stuff like Dark Water there for $6, Battle Royale was about $11 when I got it more than 2 years ago, along with a bunch of other bargains.

Wait, don't tell Burgos that I might live in New York City, he might get ideas. :nervous:

10. Shannafey

Thanks for the recommendation Stu!

11. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    Here in Montreal VCDs are damn expensive which average about 20$CDN, about 14.60$USD. In Toronto's Pacific Mall located in China town has VCDs at 10CDN = ~7$USD no tax I believe

If you even decide to come up here TO's China town is better than Montreal

12. H0MOSareGAY

H0MOSareGAY Guest

San Fransisco's China Town is real good. I haven't bought much from there, but the prices are fairly good (maybe 1 or 2 dollars over online prices)