Childs Play remake....(did we lose thread?)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Natas, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Pretty sure we lost the thread for the Childs Play remake. Unless I'm blind? Anyways....

Anyone else as excited as I am to watch Chucky on the big screen again this weekend?!?!?

Last time this was a reality was Seed of Chucky which I'm not a fan of. The only other time for me was Bride which was amazing as a 14 year old kid........ Anyways, matinee this weekend for me! Couple beers, hopefully most of the theater crowd will be seeing Toy Story this weekend.....should be a good time. 2 hour running time has me a little concerned though.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

3. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Well that's good to hear. Both my local theaters have the run time of 2 hours flat on their websites.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for reviews to come in with this one. Now that it's out I kinda want to see it even though I haven't been keen. If people are saying it's bad I'll just wait till I can see it for free.

I did hear that you see a lot more of the friendship between Andy and Chucky which makes you feel bad when it all goes wrong. I actually really like the sound of that and think it could be a real interesting dynamic for this movie.

5. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I'm trying to keep expectations in check, but I honestly think it looks great. And I mean it's a horror villain icon, man! In the theaters! Michael Myers 8-9 months ago was fan-fucking-tastic. Fingers crossed I enjoy this one half as much as Halloween...

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I caught the early matinee of Child's Play today while the masses were all flocking to Toy Story 4. Only 4 people in the theater.

I thought it was extremely FUN! The pacing is similar to Child's Play 2, only with the macabre gallows humor of Bride Of Chucky. The three leads easily won me over, as well as the Detective's mom, so we definitely have likable characters. The kills are especially gory, although sparse and mostly relegated to the second half of the movie. They definitely go big for the kills, and even bigger for the finale. The pace is super fast and the running time is mercifully brief. There's a lot of humor, but just enough to charm without crossing the line of being obnoxious.

There's no Charles Lee Ray or anything like that. This time he's a robot who was made defective by a disgruntled toy factory worker. Basically, he's Fatal Attraction-ing his best buddy Andy. It reminded me of the 1994 movie The Companion, about a romance novelist who is being terrorized at a cabin in the woods by her sex robot who has become obsessed with her. Only without the sex. Also worth mentioning, one of the things that makes him snap is seeing an '80s Cannon horror film we all know and love (although the clips are played out of order).

If I had complaints, it would be really petty stuff. Like sometimes the doll looked silly. Or that 80% of it takes place in an apartment building (to be fair, you could say the same about the original). So I can't say I have much to complain about. I was grinning for most of the movie.

Disconnect from Mancini's continuity and just treat it as a silly slasher sequel or a fun killer doll movie. Aside from character names and the apartment setting, it's radically different from the original and mostly just does it's own thing. If you approach it that way, I'm sure you'll have fun. It's the best theatrical horror film I've seen since Us back in March.

Natas, Myron Breck, chancetx and 2 others like this.
  8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Me and my girlfriend loved it!!

It’s not the same Chucky, but Hamill made the new version fucking awesome!

I love the original, but even though this is a remake/reboot, this is the ”sequel” I wanted, for almost 30 years.

I prefer Chucky’s old design, but still, i warmed up to the new look.

This is a 4 out of 5!

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Hold up....THE CRITICS WERE WRONG?????

10. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

I thought it was a lot of fun. One of the critic reviews I read is that it fails as a Child’s Play film and I disagree. I think disconnecting it from the Don Mancini films was the smartest thing the filmmakers could do and they pulled it off well. It’s a totally different take on Chucky and that is really what the series needed after the last couple direct-to-video films. Go see it and you’ll probably have a good time seeing an entertaining and gory R-rated horror film.

Steel76 likes this.
  11. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I agree, it was a lot of fun. The 2nd half was a lot better..... I definitely prefer the older doll design but I didn't hate this new one. The mother's boyfriend had some really funny moments. I don't have much more to add that hasn't been said above. Solid.

Steel76 likes this.
  12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I went ahead and tried my luck tonight--it was fine. I doubt I'll be adding it to my collection but it wasn't bad. We've all seen a lot worse in the Remake department.

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Caught this last night and thought it was a lot of fun, and pretty much agree with the positive feedback everyone here as said so far. It ain't perfect, but I really really enjoyed the direction/take of this remake. Laughed out loud quite a bit too. One thing though I do gotta fault it for is the final act felt far too rushed - sure, it's action packed but it could have used a bit of breathing room here and there to elevate the tension. All in all, worth checking out!

Steel76 likes this.
  14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Completely agree.

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Glad you all had fun. I'm not completely won over by his "Thunderbirds" inspired new look but the movie looks fun.

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I was hesitant at first from the trailers, and there's no way they can copy it exact because of the copyright of the original look as part of the Don Mancini-backed properties, but after seeing it I actually think the new look really works quite well for this specific scenario of the remake, as it's supposed to be a mainstream-level animatronic smart doll so it's going to be a bit cheap and janky looking as it's a mass-produced product, and so it is quite creepy looking without having to do much else because of that so when they get to play with the more sinister expressions that gets heightened.

17. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I really enjoyed it. It's been a long time since I've watch Child's Play or anything from the series so my mind was unencumbered. It was full of black humor, had a good amount of gore and got in some rather clever moments. There's a lot of little things to like about it and not much big to complain about:
    I think my biggest complaint was having Andy driving the knife in Chucky's heart (after being unable to bring himself to do it early in the film) only for Chucky to come back to life and have the detective shoot him then have the Mom decapitate him. It seemed to harm the character moment Andy had there. It wouldn't be surprised if that was done in reshoots because the lighting, framing and even location details (or lack there of) seemed different from the rest of the shots of the climax. But this my biggest let down and isn't that big of a deal. Everyone gets to take a final whack at Chuck that's all.

I also laughed a lot during the scenes with the leather face head on a water melon. I had to stifle my laughter because people weren't laughing out as much as I was.

And the moral of the story? A boy's best friend is his mother. :D

Also... There's "A non-profit fan film" coming out? Called Charles... I just think if you have any real talent just make your own killer doll movie and not try to ride the coat tails of someone else's creation.

19. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Well it's a horror flick so one would hope their effects crew would so something of the sort.