CAT PEOPLE, DIE MONSTER DIE, THE SHADOW & More from Shout Factory in January

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Oct 9, 2013.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Just got my copy of Cat People in the mail. As mentioned, the slipcover is sealed to the blu-ray.

2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I thought Shout (Scream) has said that they don't use DNR. Did I misread that or did something change?

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Universal is known to use it...heavily at times. The master was probably handed that way to Shout.

I never cared much for Cat People personally, but that HD transfer looks like smoothed wax!

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I see. Thanks for the clarification Kat.

6. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

every review keeps saying how bad the picture is. but in the screen grabs. it looks very good... iam just not a fan of this movie..

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I watched the German Blu-ray last weekend. It looks alright in motion. Colors are solid but they don't "pop". The DNR gives it sort of a glossy "silk scarf" look rather than "wax" in my opinion. I thought detail was ok, though I noticed artificial sharpening in the opening. There's a halo around the panther set against the bright sky.

As for the movie, I think its great.

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Why is this so hard to find? No stores in Toronto have this in stock and it's unavailable on amazon.ca. Also $25.99? Jesus. I like the movie but I just can't justify paying that much.

~Matt

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Are you viewing the Blu-ray.com review's screenshots in full 1920x1080 resolution? You need to be logged in there to see those, but they just look incredibly "waxy" and smoothed over to my eyes...not very filmlike at all.

They probably look better in motion, but you can clearly tell that DNR was heavily applied.

10. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Another company has taken over the distribution rights in Canada for Shout/Scream, Criterion, and possibly Troma. So they will all probably be pretty hard to find for the next few weeks, unless it is already on the shelves.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Good grief. Is it possible to make it any more difficult for Canadians to obtain movies? I'm annoyed and I live in the U.S.!

12. Drinkinstein

Drinkinstein Member

Yeah it's gotten pretty bad for Canadians over the last year or so, especially if you're one of those who can't stand the look of bilingual packaging like me. You end up paying almost double for a US import from amazon.ca compared to the exact same product with bilingual packaging! It's the bane of my existence :fuck:

I've got actually been ordering my scream/shout blu's from Futureshop for months now as their prices are generally about $3-8 cheaper than amazon and you get free shipping over $20. Sometimes you end up waiting for them but it's worth the savings when you're buying nearly everything they're putting out each month.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Unfortunately, the overuse of DNR is consistent across Universal's HD masters, consistent enough to indicate a decision made at the administrative level. For whatever reason, somebody at the helm in the technical services division either prefers the look of a DNR'd transfer or at least believes the customers do. Shout Factory is presumably using a master that Universal already had sitting on the shelf. Of course, for extra $$$ you could probably have them do a new, unmolested scan. Apparently that's what Criterion does when they license older catalog titles from Universal, as their Blu-Rays of Universal titles don't look anywhere near as waxy.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

AHHH that makes a lot of sense now. The Criterion of Thief is also nowhere to be found.

But yeah I absolutely fucking despise bilingual packaging. Hate hate hate hate it. It looks so ugly! Even the taglines are bilingual. The worst is the spine though. Nothing worse than two titles on the spine. The MGM blu-ray of Sleeper is one of the worst. The spine says "SLEEPER - WOODY ET LES ROBOTS". Ugh. But amazon.com charges so much for shipping that it's really not worth it. I usually order stuff off ebay from the seller import_cds. Shipping is only $3.99 (they unfortunately don't combine shipping) but you get stuff in about a week and their prices are really cheap.

But does anyone know a US online retailer that ships to Canada for a decent price? Amazon.com is so not worth the $7.99 + import fees deposit. Robocop was $7.99 but with shipping it came to almost $17. Still cheaper than the price on Amazon.ca but Jesus Christ, prices need to be THAT LOW on amazon for it to be even worth it to import. It's fucking bullshit

~Matt

15. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

16. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

17. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA