carrie remake

Discussion in 'General' started by Gnaghi, Oct 31, 2002.

1. deepred

deepred Member

I thought the remake followed the DePalma version too closely (with minor changes here and there) and Chloe, while likeable, is just not convincing as Carrie. She isn't as creepy and doesn't feel as internally tortured as Spacek and seems almost too young for the part. I did enjoy Julianne Moore as I thought she did give an effective performance and it was different enough from Piper's characterization. When it's all said and done, it's not very good yet not really bad - just average and kinda pointless as it's missing the intense portrayal of Carrie to anchor it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  2. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Not seen it yet but I'm guessing the shower scene is nowhere near as graphic as DePalma's version. I miss the 70's :p

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Just came back from seeing it, Very disappointing. Everyone was miscast, no score worth anything and every scene was a poorer version of the original. I would even take the TV version with Angela Bettis over this.

4. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

It lost me at the radio and CGI blood.

As someone mentioned to me, it seems they turned it into a bullying PSA rather than a horror film, and that's why Carrie is no longer scary. That court 'explanation' at the close was useless and contrived. I thought I was going to walk away from this saying "that was decent for a remake" but the line now goes "at least it wasn't the worst remake I've ever seen". Useless. :(

5. deepred

deepred Member

I forgot about that part. The line reading in that scene made me chuckle to myself and roll my eyes.

6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I have to agree. There just wasn't enough her to recommend seeing it.

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

I usually give the remakes the benefit of the doubt, and coming in I was excited to have Kimberly Pierce directing - I think her BOYS DON'T CRY is one of the most haunting films about bullying ever made. Seemed a perfect fit. That's why I was so surprised this movie was devoid of any kind of directorial style or stamp - felt about as canned and generic as you could imagine. That's a really bad thing when you're following Brian De Palma's lead. Like Ash said, every scene was just a worse scene than the original, and the modern flourishes, like the cell phone and video camera stuff, didn't go far enough to be interesting or meaningful in any way. Carrie 2, which is now 14 years old, seems a more contemporary story than this one. I liked the characterizations of Tommy and the gym teacher, I thought they held their own against the original characters, and I think Julianne Moore did a good job stepping out from Piper Laurie's shadow by downplaying and internalizing her performance. Her Mrs. White seemed much more believable (albeit still not quite as interesting). Boy, was that end scene just dreadful. Terrible, nonsensical CGI instead of a jump scare. For shame. One of the most pointless remakes yet, it's the first remake I've ever seen where I just wanted to watch the original instead. And I've watch Prom Night and When A Stranger Calls. Big disappointment for me.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Oh, shit. <tosses free movie pass into trash can>

9. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

The original film stood on its own away from the source material much like The Shining did and is a classic. I love everything about the original. This, this was some bullshit... and that cgi gravestone scene ruined any fond feelings I may have had. This film was souless and full of missed opportunities. Hell, they even had one cool shot of Chloe getting nailed by the blood to where you could only see the bottom part of her face but then someone said, "that's too cool for this piece of shit, let's not dwell on that shot, let's just film the fucking bucket over and over again and then show some cgi looking blood." Still not as bad as 05's Amytiville remake but close.

Edit: That Harry Potter arm moving sucked compared to Spacek's blank stare too. Also, wtf was with the discriminant mass murder? Carrie is supposed to lose her shit, not pick favorites.

Also, as awesome as the original is, it left out one of the best scenes from the novel and would have been welcomed in a remake. Sue Snell and Carrie never have that final confrontation in De Palma's version like in the novel. The remake had a lame attempt at this but of course messed it all up as Carrie becomes the good guy. In the novel, Carrie latches on to Sue's nervous system and makes her feel what shes feeling up untill her death. She is a vengeful monster at this point and only spares Snell because she's pretty much about to die anyway. It pretty much was THE summation point of the novel (a literal demonstration of human empathy on Snell's part). De Palma's final scare would have been solidified had this scene been included. This remake would have earned a single redeeming value.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  10. rhett

rhett Administrator

Wow, really? The original Amityville is pretty terrible, the remake at least had some great set-pieces. Also, the Amityville remake tried to do something fresh with the story in blending parts 1 & 2 for a more dramatic arc. This Carrie remake was far less inspired.

11. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

I liked it well enough, but I can't disagree with this at all. I'd hoped that it was going to be a closer adaptation of Stephen King's novel but instead it clearly uses Lawrence Cohen's 1976 screenplay as its source. I liked Moretz and Moore. Everybody else is just kinda there, never distinguishing nor embarrassing themselves, though after DePalma's original and the 2002 TV miniseries, the convention is that Sue Snell has dark, curly hair. I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING ELSE. Also, Chris in the remake comes off as more of a brat than the truly vicious monster she is in the book, DePalma's original...just about every iteration of this story, in fact.

It's one of those middle-of-the-road remakes which, while not terrible, doesn't do nearly enough to justify it's existence. It is, however, Screen Gem's best horror remake to date, which is as dubious a distinction as I can imagine.

Now, after a book, two movies, a sequel, a TV movie and a Broadway musical I think it's safe to say that everything that needs to be said about Carietta White has been, and we close the book on this story and move on.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Naw, I'm holding out for the video game (suddenly, I'm imagining an 8-bit Nintendo version of Carrie sliding back and forth trying to avoid buckets of blood)

I just wish you all would realize that no matter how much you slam this movie on internet message boards, the studio got your money on opening weekend, and that's all they were looking for. They won.

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

Again, I don't bemoan remakes. I want to give them my money for reimagings of stories I love and grew up with. I just don't want them to be as bad as some of them, like Carrie, are.

And given Carrie's box office figures, I'm not sure they "won", anyway. The movie was shelved for a while, needed reshooting, double the advertising dollars because of the last minute delay and a pretty subpar BO finish given the strong cache of the source material.

14. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

Yeah, I felt the pacing and the constant jump scares ruined Amityville 05. I liked the subtlety of the original. James Brolin's character ark was also pretty unsettling. I feel on the whole, horror films are getting better since the mid to early millennial decade. The remake was just too CGI plastered and was a product of its time (there were a few good horror films but far more ADD laden special effect fests). The art of scaring with the recent films of James Wan seems to have come back.

Yeah, saw Carrie opening night and there were plenty of seats left. I haven't looked to see what it actually grossed however.

15. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I liked the remake but it wasn't as good as the original and it didn't have anything new to offer. Luckily the CGI wasn't over the top but it could have been toned down a little more. Julianne Moore was good as Margaret White but Piper Laurie had that true look of crazy. Chloe Moretz was better at playing Carrie than I expected but Sissy Spacek was perfect in the role. Still, I enjoyed it.

16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I hated this remake, but if you must, the blu-ray is only $4.99 at Best Buy. They even still had that holographic slipcover thingy.

They also had Stoker, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Predators, and The House At The End Of The Street for $4.99 each, if you're seeking to fill out your horror collection. Also the digibook of Wizards. Bunch of Fox titles.