Captain Marvel (2019) non spoiler review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Mar 7, 2019.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Two months before the final chapter (avengers endgame) to this long ass saga comes out, we have this film set in the pre-avengers 1990s. Brie Larson (The Room) plays Captain Marvel who will be a key character in the next Avengers film and this serves as her origin story. The film co-stars Sam Jackson as Nick Fury once more but now computer de-aged to make his appearance suit this earlier timeframe. This is the best use of the de-aging software I have seen and the first time it has been used on a character with an abundance of screen time. Still, there are many uncanny valley moments where it does not look right. You can kind of get away with it on one of these types of films, I just hope they can do a better job in the upcoming Scorsese film The Irishman where this uncanny look will be less forgivable.
    As for this film, it is definitely one of the lesser films in the MCU,l. It looks even blander than most MCU films. The special effects are a mixed bag and never carry any weight or gravitas, the direction is bad and the first half hour is a badly written mess.
    It does have some saving graces though, Sam Jackson is terrific and his interactions with Brie Larson and Goose are solid. The second half of the film is better that the muddled front end and it has a pretty good score.
    Overall this is pretty forgettable stuff but has some essential plot background to the larger story for this 20 film arc we have been following.
    5/10

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

There are so many fun movies out right now!

Fighting With My Family, Cold Pursuit, The Prodigy, Happy Death Day 2U, Greta (which I haven't seen yet on account of traveling, but I'm dying to!).

Why are people wasting their time seeing Marvel movies when there are so many better options?

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Because we like them? ;)

Sure, there are some turds, like this one, but most of them are fun and entertaining.

If I'm entertained, then it's not wasted time, no matter what movie or genre I'm watching.

russweiss likes this.
  4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Fair play to people who like them, me personally I can't stand them, so I stay away only looking at this thread out of curiosity, the market to me feels over saturated with this stuff, hopefully fans will start to get bored so time, money and resources can move onto something I may find more exciting.

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I actually had quite a good time seeing this. It was a fun movie to me. Not an epic like Alita but still a lot of fun. I actually thought Carol Dancers was a far better character than I was expecting and I don't get the hate.
    I got some good 90's vibes from certain scenes which I thought was fun and I really enjoyed seeing things like a young Nick Fury.
    There were a few twists I didn't see coming which was also a pleasent surprise.
    This at least made me look forward to what Captain Marvel will bring to the table in Endgame.

russweiss likes this.
  6. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I didnt have a problem with anvers or any of the characters it was more the writing, direction, effects. I thought all the players did the best with what they had, especially Goose :)

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Oh it definitely could have felt more epic. To me Wonder Woman felt more like an epic than this but I still had a great time with the movie nonetheless.
    My comment was directed more to Steel who called it a turd which I disagree with immensely.
    I fond the writing fine but I do agree the effects could have been better, though they didn't really detract me from the action much which was good. I loved it when she finally unleashed her powers and just wished there was a bit more of that.

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Went and saw it a couple of nights ago, and really enjoyed it. The first half felt a little disjointed, and I wasn't fully engaged. But the second half really clicked, and it made all the stuff that happened in the first half relevant. So in the end, I was happy that they made it the way they did. At least it avoids being a cookie-cutter origin story. It felt like it had something new to offer, which was nice. And I really liked the Danvers character. I thought they did a good job developing an emotional arc for her. As far as superhero movies go, it was pretty good. Looking forward to seeing her in Avengers, and whatever sequel business they get up to with her.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I also enjoyed this. I've seen all the MCU films in the theater and will continue to do so. I've also purchased all but one of these films on home video in either blu-ray or 4K format. Admittedly there are many other MCU films that I prefer to this one but it wasn't bad. The most surprising thing to me was that they didn't show the Endgame trailer prior to the film. Hook says he wishes they would stop making these films but when they pull in over a billion dollars (which this one seemingly will) it's tough to say that's it.

Zombie Dude likes this.