Can anyone offer assistance in getting cigarette smell out of my Sideshow statue...

Discussion in 'General' started by Azrael55, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Azrael55

Azrael55 New Member

I just received a wonderful Sideshow Collectibles premium format horror piece and couldn't be happier with it. It however, was purchased on EBAY and the original owner apparently was a smoker, something I thankfully don't have experience with.

Upon opening the box and removing the figure from the Styrofoam I was greeted by that musty smoky smell that I can only surmise is from months or possibly years of being around cigarette smoke. I'm planning on putting this out on display out in the open and NOT in a case or anything (although I might be worried if I did put him in an enclosed glass case with other figures the smell might linger or get on them).

Does anyone have any suggestions of anything that could be done to get the smell to subside. Is it just something that goes away? Would keeping it out of the house in a garage (it's a little too cold right now, but spring is on the way) help? As I said I've never encountered this problem, I usually order everything directly from Sideshow or other places, but couldn't pass this one up.

2. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Which PF is is? A little fabreeze might help. I have about 23 Sideshow Premium Format Figures displayed in Ikea Detolf cabinets. A little spray of fabreeze goes a long way ;)

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Airing out should help, maybe use a little light soap and water with a soft sponge to get the residue out of the small cracks, that's more than likely where the smell comes from.

4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing, worked well on some curtains I inherited that had that same smokey stink.

5. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I'm not sure exactly what kind of figurine you're talking about but I'd be reluctant to put Febreze on it for fear of the chemicals damaging paint or plastic or wood. Definitely air it out - much of the smell might have been stuck in the styrofoam packaging. Washing it carefully with warm water and a bit of Ivory soap would be the next step. Just dry it carefully and completely.

Some people swear putting items in the freezer for a few hours can kill odors. No guarantees but you could try - especially if you've got a bunch of baking soda in the freezer as well.

6. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Baking soda's supposed to be the bee's knees for destinking stuff. Could try just pouring it all over the thing, give it a few hours and then vacuum it off.

7. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

I received a Wicked Witch of the West Franklin Mint doll (don't ask - ha ha) on ebay and it arrived in mint condition except for the fact that it smelled as if someone had stored it in an ashtray. I packed it back in the box it arrived in with a bunch of dryer sheets and the next time I opened the box (about 6 months later) the cigarette smell was gone. Of course, it did pick up the smell of the dryer sheets, but that was much better than the smoke.

If it's hard plastic with no fabric, I'd go with what chancetx said and wash it.

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Try these two methods:

Put the figurine in a sealed plastic bag with baking powder. Coat the figurine with the powder. Leave for a week or longer.(Leaving it for a few hours will not do the trick) Keep changing the powder with fresh powder every other day.

It will definitely faint the smell at the very least. Costs basically nothing to try.

If that doesn't work and you want to just cut to the chase. Use this product. It will absolutely get rid of the smell. Cost about $20 bucks.

Anti Icky Poo

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  9. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'd also recommend you try packing it up coffee beans. They are a great way to get the smoke aroma out of a car. You'll have the coffee smell for a little while, but it will go away pretty fast. For some reason coffee beans absorb smells. Don't know the science behind it, but it has worked really well for me in the past.

10. Azrael55

Azrael55 New Member

Whoops ... sorry about not posting what it was. It's a Friday the 13th Jason Premium Format figure from Sideshow. I'm guessing it's made of polystone or something similar and it's hopefully mostly the Styrofoam like chancetx suggested that's holding the odor right now. Jason's clothes aren't the heaviest material but they probably absorbed some of it.

I've begun some dryer sheet tests and hopefully that will do the trick.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. It's funny when I thought about posting this question I immediately went with horrordvds since I frequent the message board so often, I'm what you would consider a "first time long time" kinda poster. I appreciate the suggestions and help though.

Attached Files:

11. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

I've got that bad boy too, Great statue. Are you getting the F13th Part III PF?