Cache' (Hidden) Dir. Michael Haneke

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by aoiookami, Jun 10, 2006.

1. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

[​IMG]
    I figured after my very positive review of Haneke's Funny Games (FG), I'd offer a 'other side of the fence' look at his next film Cache, since it hits DVD later this week.

The story focuses on a family's struggle against an unseen predator; Father and tv star Georges has lately been plagued by a steady stream of creepy video's delivered directly to his house. The video's start by showing nothing more than hours of unedited, un-interuppted video of the outside of their house, filmed in a near-by alley. Eventually the subject matter of each video changes to hints dealing with Georges' past -- a shot of the house where he grew up, a shot of an apartment hallway where his long-lost adopted brother lives...etc. Each videotape is wrapped in a crude and violent drawing, that looks like it was created by a 10 year old with crayons. Georges follows the hints given in the tapes, and tries to track down the Hidden stalker.

[​IMG]
    Unlike Funny Games, this movie is SLOW, with a captial, underlined and highlighted. 'S'. I havnt been this bored since Syriana. I watched it late at night, and it was a serious struggle to stay awake. There's no action, no violence (all but 1 very brief scene) and the plot moves at a snails pace. The story dosent play out very well and end's SUDDENLY with next-to-no resolution. Not only this but Haneke uses an overabundance of his 'long, unmoving, no-cut' shots which only seemed to make an appearance once or twice in FG.
    This really bogs the movie down, and turns it almost completely away from being a horror, and more into a drama, or a watered-down thriller. Don't let the 'bloody slash' across the cover art fool you. I honestly dont even know why it's there aside to draw in the horror crowd.

Also unlike FG, the acting was simply average, same thing you would see in any other movie, and nothing that jumped out and smacked me in the face like FG. A bit of family drama-type bickering between the family members, a little bit of Georges trying to be intimidating to his suspected stalker(s) makes up the gist of it all.

But the thing that made this title a definate thumbs-down for me, was that the story literally goes nowhere. Literally.
    For a movie based on someone being haunted by being sent video tapes, we never find out who is actually sending them, and any possible interactions between those characters is non-existant. We're given hints, of course, that it might be the two sons sending the tapes, but this is never made 100% clear, which I'm usually fine with in movies, but the fact the movie ends so abuptly with zero resolution negates this. Any history that is brought up between Georges and his addopted brother is just thrown away, the director 'hints' and things but never completely brings them to the viewers attention, which imo was really needed for a story like this. The creepy drawings attached to each tape arent dealt with AT ALL; aside from a few hints they are to do with his adopted brother's past, we never learn who draws them and why.
    Basically, no 'Why???'s are answered in this movie.

Like me, you'll probably be surprised by how quickly the ending comes up. It seems to appear out of nowhere, when there's really been no resolution to the story (the premise of the movie is not brought to a close) and the relationship between the characters are left up in the air as well. It's similar in tone to 'In My Skin', where it seems there could be another 2 or 3 hours. But this movie is even worse in that respect..

By the end of it, I felt; why didnt he just direct a family drama movie and leave out the entire video-tape subplot
    since it's never dealt with in the end anyways
    It really felt like Haneke was trying to make a drama, but needed to put in some horror-esque ploy to draw in audiences, but then past the halfway point of the movie, just says 'Nah!'.

Imo, avoid at all costs. Even if you're a fan of Haneke and FG like I am. Also avoid if you like resolution, and answer's to questions the plot brings up in your movies. This movie goes nowhere, and dosent have enough fun,thrill, humor, or ANYTHING that helps a stinker be 'watchable' in any way. Thumbs down!

2. broadwayrock

broadwayrock Guest

Watch the last scene very carefully:

You will see two characters (who never meet during the film) greet each other like their were good friends

I have PM'd you a interesting link about the film.

3. aoiookami

I did see the two son's in the last scene, as I stated in my first post. Still dosent change anything imo. Thanks for the link tho, seems every comment on that blog seems to have a different take on it as well.

4. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I've never been letdown by a Haneke film, so I already have this on preorder and expect it to be pretty good. Will post my comments later on in the week :)

5. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I watched this movie just last night and I have to disagree with you that the acting is avarage. Juliette Binoche, for example, was amazing. I thought the overall acting was way above avarage.

However the pacing was a bit too slow for me (or maybe that's just because I started watching slightly after midnight ...) and I just didn't find the "mystery" all that enthralling. There were some intense scenes, however, like when Binoche confronts Daniel Auteuil about the thing he refuses to tell her. I didn't notice the last scene either, but my flatmate was kind enough to mention it to me this morning. Apparently, it's hard to notice unless you're in the cinema or seeing it on a big screen.

So I'd say I liked it well enough, it was definately a well made film, but never hooked me quite enough and the mystery aspect wasn't really that exciting.

The videos and drawings, imo, were simply a big fat McGuffin, used to put the family into a very uncomfortable situation that forces them to reevaluate their lives. The father must come to terms with his past, but doing so he ignores his wife who becomes bitter and seeks comfort from her friend Pierre, which then leads to further astrangement from their son. There is resolution, just not concerning the McGuffin (because the McGuffin doesn't need to be resolved, it's unimportant). The family eventually breaks down. Auteuil takes responsibility for what he did as a child (or that's how I saw it, anyway) and Binoche realizes that her husband is perhaps not the man she thought he was. It's not a happy conclusion by any means, but a conclusion nontheless.

Whether or not it's the two boys who did the tapes is unimportant. It doesn't really change anything. The film isn't about the tapes, but the reaction to the tapes and the reality that anybody could be watching you. But then again, this is a film clearly designed for discussion and debate, so feel free to disagree vehemently! :p

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  6. aoiookami

Oh no, I agree completely, it really is... That's why my stance on it was it seemed like a family drama, and the video-tape thing was just a throw away sub-plot. But because of it I think people going in expecting a flat out horror or thriller -as it's kind of being marketed as such- will be very dissapointed.

But in the end, as I mentioned in the review, there still wasnt any thrill, humor, etc etc. I didnt feel scared, I didnt laugh or feel excited, it was just boring...

looking forward to your stance on it, as a fellow fan of FG. I think now that you know what to expect it could be more enjoyable for you

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006