Brightburn - James Gunn produced

Discussion in 'General' started by Cooperkill, May 15, 2019.

1. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

[​IMG]

This doesn't open until next week, but I managed to see it early. In all, this could have been epic, but it's rushed and never forms a point. There is some gore to hold attention, but the characters are dopey enough that they deserve to die. In all, it's okay. Quick review: http://splattercritic.com/2019/05/brightburn/

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

The trailer just screamed Superman to me. It's rated R and stars Elizabeth Banks so I'll still go see it but I don't have my hopes up. It's kind of funny you say "they deserve to die" as I feel that way about a lot of characters I see on TV and film these days.

3. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

The whole movie reeks of comic book fans sitting around wondering what would happen if Superman was evil. Which is why it could have/should have been awesome, but it's too underdeveloped. You basically see the whole movie in the trailer.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Apparently this was already released in Singapore / Malaysia and has already leaked online, which is how so many people are seeing it already. I'll wait the extra week and see it on the big screen. I already saw an advanced screening of Booksmart a couple weeks ago, so this is really the only theatrcial offering for the holiday weekend.

I think it looks fun. The second trailer is a much better sell than the first. Plus, it's R-rated and only 90 minutes, which are two major selling points for me. Gotta support that. I might dig out my Slither blu-ray for a rewatch the night before I go. Looking forward to it.

Natas likes this.
  5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I was looking forward to this, but in the UK, it's been cut to gain a lower rating, no way I will support a title that's been cut, so I'll wait for an official US home video release.

f.ramses and Zombie Dude like this.
  6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

From the trailer it looks exactly like Man of Steel. Even the text font they use during it is the same! Not to mention the style. I'm surprised they could do that without getting in trouble.

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

It's called parody, which is what I always assumed this movie/trailer was doing in the first place. Not in the slapstick comedy-sense, but in the flipping something on it's head - in this case the supervillain rather than superhero.

8. Zombie Dude

But they've had Superman be evil in comics numerous times, so this seem less like a parody to me.

9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I'm actually pretty excited to check this out over the weekend. Keeping expectations in check but it's looks cool, man.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  10. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Went to the first showing today. Only five other people in theater. The trailer (second of the two I saw) gave away a lot of the plot but fortunately there were still a lot of surprises. Is it a great film? No, but at only 91 minutes it goes by quickly enough and it did earn it's R rating. Worth a matinee viewing. Michael Rooker appears in the film but it kind of seemed like an afterthought. Still I enjoy his body of work so I was happy to see him.

11. CPT HOOK

I also caught the noon matinee today and I really dug it. I got stuck in traffic on the way and thought I was going to miss it, but got there just as the Once Upon A Time In Hollywood trailer was ending and the movie was starting.

They're really selling this as a superhero movie to get butts in seats, but I thought it was way more of a "child from hell" movie with the superpowers aspect used solely to make him more dangerous. In fact, I found it INCREDIBLY similar to The Prodigy from earlier this year, especially in pacing and tone. So if you liked that movie, you'll probably be a fan of this one as well. I don't know if I could say which I liked more, that's how close they are.

I have to agree that the trailer gives away way too much, especially the diner scene and Elizabeth Banks in the house. Can't say I'm surprised though, that's pretty much the norm these days. I will say I was impressed by the brutality of the kills! Between this and Slasher: Solstice, I've seen some pretty vicious gore in the past few days.

If there's a flaw with the movie, I'd say maybe it's a little overly simplified? On the other hand, I loved the mercifully brief running time. The movie is well-paced and didn't overstay its welcome. I was in, out, and then on with the rest of my day, which for me is the ideal trip to the movies.

So yeah, I had fun. Of the holiday weekend's theatrical offerings, this is easily the best choice (I saw Booksmart a few weeks ago and found it overrated, and Aladdin just looks zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz). Then tonight I get to watch The Perfection on NetFlix, so it's shaping up to be a pretty great weekend for horror.

SPOILER:
    What happened to the little girl he was stalking and sneaking into her bedroom at night? They pretty much dropped that subplot once he killed the mom. Although I did enjoy the especially nasty discovery of the mom's body in the barn. Was not expecting this to be so vicious, especially since Sony's genre offerings over the past decade or so have been extremely tame.

12. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I planned on seeing this today, but my AMC wasn't playing it for some reason. I live in an area with a large Indian population and there's a new Indian movie called Photograph that's out today so I guess they decided to play that instead. Hopefully, they play Brightburn next week, if not I'll have to head a couple of towns over and catch it at the good theater when I see Godzilla.

I saw Booksmart today instead and I think it's one of the funniest comedies I've seen in years, so I'm happy I got to at least see one of the movies I planned on seeing this weekend.

13. CPT HOOK

I got dragged to see this again last night, and it definitely won me over this time. However, I still don't think it's worthy of the 10-out-of-10 100% Rotten Tomatoes "the greatest teen movie of our generation" acclaim that it has been getting. It's fun though.

I did prefer it to Brightburn this time.

14. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Brightburn is one of those films that is important sociologically in that it explores a nasty societal underpinning in the guise of pre existine pop culture trappings.
    Its looks like a superhero movie, but really it is a school shooter film.

15. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I watched brightburn last night and really enjoyed it,, it had me hooked for the duration of the movie, which a lot of recent movies haven't, yes there were minor issues but on a whole very pleased.

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Getting the bluray DVD combo pack Aug 20th release date.

17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

18. Zombie Dude

I finally watched this last week and it really surprised me. Quite a fun* horror that was way gorier than I was expecting. I'll probably end up buying it at some stage.

*Maybe fun's not the right word but I was giggling like a school girl at the gore scenes as they were just so visceral and surprising to me.

Steel76 likes this.
  19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, especially the
    glass splinter in the eye and crushed jaw
    scenes, which made me both laugh and cringe at the same time.

Love how it basically turns into a slasher movie at times :)

Seen it twice now, and was just as good on the second viewing.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. Zombie Dude

Yes, definitely those scenes haha. I think especially the glass bit too because it's the first really gruesome scene and it takes you off guard.

Steel76 likes this.