Bonus Features WTF?

Discussion in 'General' started by Copyboy, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Sorry if anything about this has already been posted. Just did a quick search and wasn't able to find anything so thought I'd ask.

I watched a movie I rented from Netflix last night and after the movie wanted to check out the special features as all of them were listed under BONUS. Everything I clicked on brought up a screen that said something about all of the bonus material being unavailable on the rental copy but if I wanted to see these features, I should buy the movie.

WHAT?! Is this something new? I've NEVER seen this before.

When I ejected the disc, I noticed that it said "RENTAL" across the bottom of it, which I hadn't noticed when I popped it in. Has anyone else had this happen? Has this been going on for a while but I hadn't noticed because I'm living under a rock? What's next? If I rent a movie it will have no sound and tell me if I want to hear it I will have to buy it? WTF?!

2. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, this seems to be the standard now for rentals with netflix or redbox, especially for big studio flicks. Studio's are hoping more people will buy the DVD for the extra's cause they cant see them if it's rented. All about that $$$$$$$$.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I've been seeing this a lot as well, and I don't hardly ever even rent, never used Redbox or Netflix. What sucks is these discs are creeping into the used stores already, it was bad enough when Blockbuster started carrying R versions of unrated titles, this is even worse. Thankfully I've yet to get anything from the library that says rental version on it yet!

4. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I want to say that they announced this plan about a year ago, and I'll admit that I was a supporter, or at least that I understood the logic behind it.

But, the rental places should be telling you that the disc doesn't have extras. Otherwise it's false advertising.

And, I never thought about the discs making their way into used sales. Are they clearly labeled as "Rental Versions"?

5. bigdaddyhorse

Most I've seen do say Rental Version or Rental Exclusive on a banner on the bottom of the front cover, but not all.
    I can't remember what I picked up and got no extras for, but it was something where the normal dvd and blu have lots and the rental had none...

Oh yeah, Alexandre Aja's Mirrors. Nothing on the front cover about rental, no extras when the normal versions have tons. At least it has both versions of the film like the normal discs. Only bought it cuz I hadn't seen it and it was 49 cents during Hollywood Video closing sale. Since I've seen copies in used stores and thought about upgrading for extras, but it was the same featureless disc I have.

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

I actually sort of like this idea. I'd compare renting to going to a theater - you're paying for a time sensitive experience. If you'd like to keep something and fully experience it whenever, then you buy it and have access to everything. We've seen it here with Code Red and other companies balking at sales while rentals on Netflix are very healthy (with profit they see little to nothing of). With it so easy to copy a disc I'm sure there are many out there who rent, burn and "backup" forever. At least this provides an incentive to give back to the studio if you really like a movie and want the full experience.

It's tough to really complain, too, when the cost to rent from Netflix or Redbox works out to a couple bucks. About 5 fold cheaper than going to the theater...

7. bigdaddyhorse

Good points, and of course I've "backed up" a few rentals in my time, but if I like something enough and it's available I will still buy it. Makes perfect sense for the studios. It also makes Blockbuster a worse and worse deal. They still want at least $3-4 for every rental, but it's always rated versions without extras, so I have to gamble with Dimiension Extreme titles if I want to see them uncut.:( Besides a few Redboxes, BB is the only place left to rent around here. Someday I'll join Netflix.

The real question is, does the cost of making multiple master discs offset the estimated losses of those renting and not buying? It's got to be close.

8. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I haven't run into this problem yet, but it seems pretty lame to me. There are going to be movies that I'm curious enough about to want to check out some bonus features, but it doesn't necessarily mean I want to plunk down the money to actually own the disc.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I agree. Wouldn't say I "like" it but it is understandable. If you want the premium package you have to pay premium prices. Everyone wants something for nothing.

10. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

My question then is what happens if you want to buy it previously viewed? You're now getting shafted with a rated/no extras disk.

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

wasn't there an issue with the initial release of slumdog millionaire? that some rental versions were accidentally packaged as regular versions and shipped to retail stores? another cost to the studio, having to recall and replace all those discs. as someone who never rents, im not too affected by this. about the closest i've come was buying a used blu of watchmen at BB, then realizing that the video supplements were all on a second disc. i went back and asked for it, and they said that they'd never had the second disc to begin with. i thought about it, and decided to keep it. it was only $6 i think, and its got the PIP commentary thing, so that is probably enough for a movie that i was "meh" about.

12. rhett

rhett Administrator

Which is another reason that would encourage you to spend your money on a new retail release. Like with rentals, studios get nothing from the used market, so it only benefits them if such a possibility exists to dissuade people from giving anyone but the studio their dollars.

13. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Which I can understand but unfortunately some of us are on a budget & when buying blu it tends to get a bit pricey... Or have a just opened up another can of worms entirely?

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Agree with this 100%.

15. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I think that depends on how you look at it. Another way would be to say that there are now two used options. You can buy the full version used or the rated/bare-bones version used. I'd expect the bare-bones version to sell pretty cheaply. As long as the rated/bare-bones versions are labeled, I don't think there is a problem.

16. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Rhett has a good point which I hadn't considered but it totally makes sense. I guess I was just really surprised and let down when I wasn't able to access anything.

17. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you Rhett. I know some folks may be on a budget, but dvd and especially Blu Ray prices have really come down. I don't think that it's asking too much to shell out an extra 10 dollars...hell..sometimes, even less, to buy the disc with all of the bells and whistles. If companies cannot make money on their releases, you will see and end to dvds altogether. Then you will have to download movies at a higher price because the studios will have you by the proverbial balls. We've really come to expect everything for nothing. I used to be one of those consumers who had to have all of the special features and would pay even higher prices for the two disc set instead of single disc edition. Now..I must admit, I wait and I'm more careful with spending my hard earned money, but I still always buy my own copy to add to my collection. I don't even watch that many special features anymore but I still buy the disc so If I get the time, I can always watch them.