Bob Clark Killer Sentenced

Discussion in 'General' started by VideoViolence, Oct 17, 2007.

1. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

It might be pointless, but how does that make someone an asshole for doing it? Plenty of people drink for a buzz, for the feeling it gives. You might call them drunk, I say they're just drinkers. People smoke pot to get high, are they assholes?

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah I agree, it's always easy and convenient to criticize others for doing something you don't enjoy.

3. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

this entire thread is turning into a car wreck :lol: , but continue , it's just nice to see others causing ruckus instead me as per usual...:D

anyway on a more serious note, this day and age if u get behind the wheel with even one drink in you, u r a fool....just because u may feel ur not inpaired , it doesn't mean u aren't....,...your reaction time is slower, reflexes, depth perception, ect..,ect..become hindered once alcohol hits ur blood stream, even if u think ur fine at the time,. ur not!!!..
    knowing that u r at a potential risk of hurting and maybe killing someone if u drink and drive and then u do just that and then kill somone , you should be in jail, that's all there is to it...

anyway..carry on people

4. highclassrob

highclassrob Member

Wha?!

Only 6 years for killing 2 people?! Jesus! With good behavior he's out in 4. what the fuck kind of bullshit sentence is that!

5. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

so take alcohol out of the equation, is being in the unfortunate situation of causing a fatal accident in your car (through lack of experience, distraction, whatever..) the same thing as walking into someone's house and unloading a gun into some person's head?

i think the issue here is that some people have an issue with alcohol and are unable (or unwilling) to accept that people make mistakes when they are under the influence.. and they may be intentional or they may not be.. i'm not saying that we should be patting these people on the back and offering them sympathy and letting them off for manslaughter.. but to say that all drunk drivers are criminals and have intent to kill other people on the road is very shortsighted and people who think they are one and the same have a distorted view of the world.

6. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I've drove my car after 3 or 4 beers before, I'll admit it. However, I don't quite remember thinking "well, I gets its time to MOW SOME FUCKERS DOWN". Thats just bizarre logic.

Also, I didn't know they extended amnesty for illegals in murder cases too. Just sayin'.

7. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Why would I take booze out of the equation? That makes no sense at all Nemesis.

Driving drunk is a crime, so yes, drunk drivers are criminals. It's very simple and clear. They are also all gambling on the lives of others. Simple and clear. If you think that means I have a distorted view of the world then I am good with that. People make mistakes all the time, but driving a vehicle while impaired is most certainly not a mistake. It's an intentional decision which you should be held completely responsible for should your decision lead to the death or injury of another person.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2007
  8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Well said. :)

9. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

You are drifting from the point (or maybe i was?) i am not talking about crime and irresponsibility. I am talking about intent to kill someone. and i think you have a distorted view if you think that all drunk drivers are intent on killing someone.

10. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

If they're adults, they should know the likelihood of being dangerous behind the wheel when they've been drinking. Although they don't directly intend on causing harm, they do intentionally commit a negligent act which can lead to people being killed. I don't favor it being as harsh a penalty as for first-degree murder, for example, but six years is very light. I'd say it should be a 10 year minimum.

I wonder if some of it is due to the prisons being so overcrowded in California.
    Prison will likely not be a picnic for him, but six years is still too few, even assuming he serves all six [which is unlikely.]

11. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

in a california prison 6 years means 3- automaticly due to over crowding. add on good behavior time and that will strike off another 25 percent so the guy will be out on parole in about 2 years and 8 months.

12. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Actually, this is an excellent point. We all know alcohol makes people do things they wouldn't ordinarily do - it's a drug that confuses the brain. So there is some merit here. And while the end result might be the same, it's not quite the same as waking up one day and saying "Think I'll go shoot some people at the mall". We might feel they should get the same sentence - that there should be a standard sentence for the taking of a life - but since in the real world that's not how the law works, Nems has an important point that explains the apparent disparity in sentencing. News is talking real world, others seem to be more embroiled with their moralistic viewpoint. Which is interesting, but isn't quite the same topic.

13. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

i agree, well put..

14. Luna

Luna Guest

I really don't feel like getting into the drunk driving debate but to answer your question, I can safely say that nope, I have never done that. Not everyone drinks and drives and it has nothing to do with sainthood... just using the ol' noodle.
    You may not even have to pay that much depending on where you are. Some cities have car services for people who are too drunk to drive. I believe there's something like that in New York and it might possibly be free. I could be wrong though, heh. Hey, here's one in Florida and here's one in California.
    *KABOOM*

Er, anyone who's drinking knows they're gonna get drunk to some extent, whether they're guzzling Absolut and crying to themselves in their mom's basement as they post on a forum, sipping on a girly, fruity drink socially or just kicking back and having a couple of beers with friends... or else they'd be having a healthy glass of water or a nice mug of hot cocoa instead. It's a matter of degrees, really... In other words, nobody's having a PiƱa Colada purely for the taste or they'd order a Virgin Colada instead.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2007
  15. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

So basically - you're out for a night in New York and you only have $20 in your pocket. The cab ride is $20. It's early. Brain kicks in - "Shall I spend my last $20 on a cab home, or shall I go into a bar and buy a couple pitchers and get blotto - calling on a free ride home? " Tough call. :lol:

Just saying. Of course, doing such a thing makes me an asshole. :D

16. I would venture to say that the percentage of incidences of people driving with a BAC three times over the legal limit that ended in someone being injured or dying is far, far less than the percentage of incidences of people actively trying to kill someone that ended in someone being injured or dying. Just a guess, but I'd wager it's a reasonable one.

17. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

for the record, to confirm again, i am not condoning drink driving or not saying it is a heinous crime.. but i think it is different to 1st degree murder.. this doesnt mean it deserves a weak sauce sentence (i personally think 6 years is too short, but at the same time i do believe in the death penalty for murderers)

18. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Drunk drivers will never learn. I'm starting to think there's no point. Certainly, there's no hope. All we can do when we get in our car is pray. Pray that there is a God and he or she plays favorites. And that you're one of them. Because acting tough is not going to keep you safe on the highway.

When you accept your Driver's License and all the responsibilities that come with it, or in this guy's case- you just get in a car on U.S. roads, you should accept that if you drive drunk, regardless of whether you meant to or not, you're taking a risk potentially killing someone and the law should put you away for life.

But... good luck with that. Our law system doesn't give a damn unless you're caught doing something naughty with a child. Pretty much all law in the U.S. is forced by the level of sensationalistic attention it draws. People are way tougher on sex crimes than they'll ever be on drunk driving. Even though we know there are more victims of drunk driving.

19. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Thanks. I'm in Minneapolis, so before the seasonal ice age sets in, it's easy for me to wander home. But if I'm ever out/need to go to St. Paul, I keep that cabbie # close.

And I hear ya, dwatts, about having $20 and deciding between a ride and a few drinks, but lots of cabs take credit cards, and there are ATMs all around me when I go out. Not the same for everyone, though.

20. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I agree with you there. You could get six years in prison for waving your wiener in public. Not that I'd know anything about that. :eek2: