Blue Underground going Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Crystal Plumage, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Not to pee in your Cheerios, but ten bucks says you were the only respondent to that trivia contest.

I was selected to a horror trivia contest at Comic-Con a few years ago, and I was like Cliff Clavin on Jeopardy. Actually got to the point where I stopped buzzing in, because I didn't want to be a dick to the other contestants. I let them ring in, but they either didn't know or got it wrong, so I answered the questions after they all failed. It was fun. Frodo shook my hand and everything.

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I can't believe it's 20 years...since the experience. I probably wouldn't have gotten anything if it was in the "Click Here to Enter" era.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

There are several things in life I regret not attending (for example, not driving to L.A. to see a show featuring 999, The Dickies, D.I., and the Angry Samoans). One of them is not going to our local arthouse theater the summer of '98 when the weekly midnight show on Friday was the 35mm Grindhouse print of The Beyond.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow, I was picturing a ping pong ball kind of thing. But that's real cool!

Damn that takes me back. I had a toy like that in the 80's I'd forgotten all about. I probably broke it open to see what made it work because that's just the way I was back then. They don't really make gross shit like that for kids anymore sadly.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You mean those rolling eyeballs that always point up?

[​IMG]

6. wago70

Yes! Sadly the water inside is slowly dissipating.

7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Speaking of Zombie newspaper clippings. This is from the San Diego newspaper when the film first played theatrically. From the late 70's - mid 80's I cut out lots of horror movie ads and being the collector I am I still have them.
    Zombie 1 lobby newspaper ad.JPG

Myron Breck likes this.
  8. wago70

Wow - that is an awesome ad! My local newspaper rarely run that classic image - we got the Manhattan bridge and Menard's hospital zombie line-up art.
    I also LOVE the triple feature ad. That's when I first saw those films that fine October Saturday. We got to watch The Boogeyman twice. Thanks for posting!

9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

What a triple feature!

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Exactly. And it may have even had a stitch pattern between the eye with the iris offset to look Frankensteined. May have even been a green iris. A little like the Roger Corman Frankenstein posters (but not different irises; it was the same shade). Pretty damn cool.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I had one too, a long time ago. Was trying to figure out what happened to it, and Wago's post reminded me that they didn't last forever. I think I saw that the fluid had dried up so I just tossed it.

12. wago70

Oh yah - but imagine showing up and being told, "...ZOMBIE is not part of our program" (according to the ad).
    In my hometown, we showed up on time according to our newspaper ad but when we got there, The Boogeyman was already showing. It was the scene where Lacey is running to the house and her shirt is being shredded by the spirit. I remember Blood Beach looking just ragged with almost no color. After Zombie, we to watch Boogeyman all over again but we had to leave right after - parents just don't understand the value...
    ZOMBIE was really glossy and professional looking (to my 11 year old eyes). Quite a contrast to another viewing two years later in 1983 (playing with Gates of Hell) where the film was faded, scratched to Hell and basically KILLED my (then) fond, vivid memory of that 1981 viewing. The Wizard VHS didn't help matters when I rented it (later buying it) and invited all my curious friends over to watch it...and nobody really getting why I loved it so much. The VHS picture quality (as we all know now) was just ghastly.

hots4 likes this.
  13. russweiss

Well it sounds like you need the remastered Blue Underground version that just came out. It's getting stellar reviews all around.

14. wago70

I had to go with the Splinter cover as that is the one scene that shocked the heck outta me when I first saw it. Nobody at school believed me when I described that part.
    I wasn't really thrown off by the zombie vs. shark moment. After the big guy in the opening (the late Captain Haggerty) fell into the water, I was thinking it made sense since zombies don't seem to need air to survive. My question is - was that shark fightin' zombie originally part of Mr. Bowles crew on the way to NYC??????

15. russweiss

MorallySound likes this.
  16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

17. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

I still have the Shriek Show 2-DVD set of Zombie and am mightily tempted by buying the new BU disc

But I'm trepidating a little thinking if Arrow might do a lavish box (like they did with City Of The Living Dead) of the film, anybody heard any rumors on that?

18. russweiss

Even if Arrow does decide to release it again you really can't go wrong with the BU release (unless you think it is too expensive).

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Steel76 likes this.