Blue Underground going Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Crystal Plumage, Mar 1, 2008.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched it last night. I like a little grain, and I love Blue Underground because they usually keep the grain structure intact. Unlike some of their other releases like The Prowler or City Of The Living Dead, the grain on the Zombie blu-ray is so subdued it isn't even noticeable. Not a complaint, just an observation. It looks terrific. I'm no expert on evaluating transfers though.

Another thing I loved about this release is that the original Italian audio with English subtitles is included. Most Italian horror films on DVD and blu-ray only offer the English dub, so it was nice to have the option here.

I watched the second disc as well. There are 8 featurettes, four each on two pages. It didn't take too long to get through them, I think the longest one was 22 minutes.

Like fceurich39 mentioned, there is an easter egg on the second page. If you highlight the "All In The Family" featurette and press Left, there is a little 5 minute story about the filming of the shark scene, and Auretta Gay not being able to swim.

2. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Thanks for spoiling the hunt... :cry:

3. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Pleased but not entirely impressed with BU's transfer of Zombie, I posted my thoughts over in The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread.
    I've only previewed House by the Cemetery, but so far I am thoroughly impressed with the video transfer but not as impressed with the audio (though the audio, despite being only stereo, does seem somewhat better than the 7.1 audio in Zombie.)

4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Can any of you guys comment on the Zombie Blu-ray color timing? It appears that the new transfer is dramatically different. Check out the comparison between the new BU DVD and the 2002 Anchor Bay DVD.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/51737/zombie/

I know Sergio Salvati supervised the new transfer. But the differences really are striking.

*** I'm of course assuming the color timing is the same for the new DVD and Blu-ray releases. If that's not correct please set the record straight. Thanks.

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

DVDBeaver has a much better comparison between releases, featuring the original Anchor Bay DVD, the Italian Shock DVD, the Blue Underground DVD, the Media Blasters DVD, and the Blue Underground Blu-ray.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare3/zombie.htm

The whole film was re-timed for the Blu-ray release since it was created from a full 2K scan of the original camera negative and the new timing is probably as authentic to Salvati's original look as he intended it to be for the film since he supervised the new transfer. Previously posted in this forum, but here's a short video on the restoration process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzcDDgU8WK4

I still need to pick up this set, but I'd guess the new DVD is the same transfer as the Blu-ray.

6. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I don't know how I missed that DVDBeaver comparison. Has any film ever looked so different from one release to the next?

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

8. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Damn...color me disappointed. Zombie was a release I was heavily anticipating, and after watching both discs, I was rather let down. I thought I would have been "wowed" like I was after watching the Shriek Show SE for the first time. I remember the water and island setting just looking so beautiful... BU's transfer was rather lackluster...DNR-laden (almost Predator-esque at points) very soft, little detail, and the audio was very quiet. The extras were OK, but they were rather short and didn't really go into any depth. Guillermo del Toro's interview was by far the most interesting/entertaining, which isn't saying much since he had nothing to do with the film.

The BD will probably still be my preferred way of watching Zombie, but I just wasn't really "wowed" by BU this time around. Its a real shame, because I thought The New York Ripper and City of the Living Dead both looked superb, and what BU has done with Argento's catalog is damn near breathtaking...that's probably all the more reason to be let down by Zombie's release because this one deserves better.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  9. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I really don't understand how anyone can not be pleased with this edition. This is the best the film has ever looked, period.

Sure, the Shriek Show and Blue Underground DVD releases were "wow" material back then because the best edition we had of the film was sub par in terms of quality at best. I believe at that time the, what Japanese edition of the film had the best picture quality, so it's not a shocker that any work that went into the transfer would "wow" us.

I didn't expect a dramatic, super clear version of the film given it's age and the budget under which it was shot in. There have been other films that have gotten amazing Blu Ray releases, THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE springs to mind but that's another film that we never really had a great release of until the HD restoration which of course was awe inspiring because it was the best the film had ever looked. There's also THE EVIL DEAD but as I recall, the transfers from that came from Raimi's personal negative which I'm sure were kept in great shape from the day they left the can. To be perfectly honest, that was one Blu Ray that didn't blow me away - sure it was an improvement over the standard DVD, but aren't most Blu Rays???

None of these films were ever intended for high def or were thought to be around 30 something years from now, they're not going to send folks into submission with their breathtaking clarity because honestly, some of the softness issues this film has are more than likely a reflection of the negative itself than anything else. They could have DNR'd the hell out it, sharpened edges, etc. and then we would've ended up with a flat, overly worked transfer that would have been overly disappointing. I feel here we got the best representation of the film itself in every way.

I am in no way disappointed with this release, at all.

I'm not criticizing you for your opinion by the way, I just don't understand how a fan of this film could be disappointed in this release.

10. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I'm with chrismac87, I love my Zombie Blu and could not be happier. I am also thankful that there are a bunch of you out there who are analytical of each release and pick it apart. It is helpful for when we need to know if a release is worth double dipping or not. In this case, I have not owned Zombie since the AB VHS and only once watched the AB DVD once when my fiance rented it years back. It has been a long time waiting to reintroduce Zombie back into my personal collection. I have probably seen this film at least 10 times in my life, most being a second gen copy on Beta as a tween back when there was no such (lame) term. So for me, this Blu is just an insane way to watch it and is probably at least somewhat of an improvement to any dvd version out there.

For those of you who have the SS or BU dvd, I can see why this info is all the more crucial in buying this release yet again, so good luck on your decision.

11. Chomp

Did you fall asleep during the office scene? It was DNR'ed to hell...a good chunk of the first half of the film looked like melted wax....maybe not that bad, but there was DNR applied which made scenes look softer than they were intended. The transfer looked better as the film went on,...but it just didn't do anything for me. Like I said, the BD will still be my preferred way of watching Zombie.

I can't understand why you WOULDN'T expect a bigger improvement...especially given BU's BD track record (excluding The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue). I understand not every release is going to be a winner...Maybe it was in fact the negative because House By the Cemetery looked fantastic, as did The New York Ripper and City of the Living Dead...to me Zombie looks the worst of the Fulci Blue Underground BD catalog....which is a shame because it's probably the best and most well known.

I know the Italian company that does the BU masters has been suspect, but like I said, I've been pleased with the rest of Fulci's BD catalog, I just don't know what went wrong with Zombie.

Yea...I'm not buying this argument anymore...especially when time after time older films with even bigger budget restraints are looking infinitely better than they have ever looked before.

Dick move man... don't insinuate I'm not a fan because I'm not praising the release.

12. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

It makes zero sense that one scene would be heavily imposed with DNR, and others wouldn't. Again, the scenes that are presented as "soft" were probably soft from the get go. A lot of the stuff shot in America - which is a portion of the scenes you are referring to - were shot on the quick. In a best case scenario, they got three takes and had to move on. Hell in the office building they shot the scene in was currently in use and they could've been kicked out after the first take they were able to get.

I really don't see anything wrong with this transfer, it's as good as the film will ever look.

And it's not an argument, it's a fact. Films were not shot back in 1978, before or soon after that were intended to be presented in an ultra clear format. Hell, look at what that did to the infamous death of Kevin Bacon in FRIDAY THE 13TH??? Talk about flesh tone problems, problems that we never caught before or were less noticeable because of dark and murky transfers/screenings which is probably as far as most of these filmmakers thought the films would get.

I am more than satisfied with this release and THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE which was just gorgeous in my opinion.

13. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

:d

14. Chomp

Well, I'm not the only one questioning the use of DNR on this release, I can point to three respectable review sources that state the same. Mondo-Digital mentions it, as does DVDActive, as does another independent reviewer. Maybe they don't have all their facts right? Or maybe they're just not fans?

Look little fella...its sounds like you think I'm lambasting the transfer...I don't know how many more times I have to state this... its definitely an improvement, it just doesn't showcase Blue Undergrounds capabilities in the HD market very well. It didn't "wow" me they way, say, the Deep Red release did. Verstehen?

Not for me...its plagued with the same issues I have with the Zombie release. It's definitely an upgrade to previous formats, but no where near one of Blue Undergrounds elite releases.

15. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Ganda bicholas este Chomp.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Preferably they don't just press a button and everything is DNR'ed. They'll go scene by scene and even shot by shot to evaluate how much DNR to apply. And well, in my book at least, zero DNR is the amount I'd apply. ;)

There's a difference between "will ever look" and "could ever look." There is very definite proof that they're scanning on a HD CRT scanner in Italy and this is introducing unnecessary analog noise. Comparisons of the French Wild Side transfer of Tenebre to the UK Arrow Video transfer is clear evidence of that. This is separate from the inherent film grain. This is just bad scanning, not bad filming.

I don't think this is the last chance we have at Zombie, or most any of these Italian horrors, because in reality we got multiple transfers on SD-DVD before we ever got to Blu-ray. Three here stateside (Anchor Bay, Media Blasters (although not utilized) and Blue Underground) at least. So in five years HD masters will be cheaper and maybe someone without their head straight up their ass will do the transfer all over again.

17. NIN

NIN Member

Do you have any proof that they work this way?

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

20. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I never got around to checking out Baba Yaga. I'll gladly take Strip Nude for Your Killer, though. Not a top tier giallo, but definitely a fun one. I hope they will eventually release The Fifth Cord on blu. It may not have quite the same replay value, but it's technically superior and one of the most enjoyable in their giallo catalogue. :)