'Blood Simple' blu-ray glitch?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Matt89, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Alright so I bought Blood Simple (on blu-ray) today and I noticed something rather strange. There appear to be no special features on my blu-ray disc. Looking at the screenshots on DVDBeaver, the main menu should have 4 options: Play, Set Up, Search, Extras. The main menu that comes up on the copy I have only has the first three. There is no "Extras" option. There is no trailer on the disc and the only audio track is English 2.0. The commentary is missing as well.

I'm gonna exchange it tomorrow to see if I can get a copy with the trailer and commentary. This is really strange, I've never bought a blu-ray that was advertised as having special features and then was missing the special features option once I put the disc in. This must have been an early pressing or some glitch or something. Glad I decided to watch it tonight, I usually buy movies and leave them unopened until I watch them (which can be several months sometimes).

Anyone ever have this happen? Or, did anybody buy Blood Simple on blu-ray and come across the same problem? This is fucking weird.

~Matt

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

That's very strange. I do own the Blood Simple Blu-ray, and all of the special features are there and choosable from the disc's menu.

I really can't recall ever having that problem occur on any DVD or Blu-ray that I've bought in the past.

I always open and check the discs right after I get them though. I've had my share of flawed discs in the past and it's best to resolve any problem(s) right after a purchase.

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Perhaps you somehow got an old screener disc packaged in a standard case.Screeners,which are usually shipped out to reviewers and certain outlets for advertising purposes generally don't have extra features.

I have bought a disc and found that the wrong film was inside and I've bought a multi disc set that had two duplicate discs in it but never one that had no extras when they were advertised.

4. drmindbender

drmindbender New Member

Hey Matt,

Just read your post as I had the same thing happen to me tonight, I bought Blood Simple at Future Shop yesterday, and after watching the film I went to listen to the commentary for a few select scenes and there was no option...what did you finally do? I'm wondering if I should bother returning it, perhaps all of the copies in Canada are somehow the wrong disc? Although DVDBeaver is based out of Ontario, no?

I have never had anything like this ever happen to me...I also find it strange that this was the only info I could find in relation to the problem.

Very strange...

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Are ypu sure the Canadian Edition didnt just get screwed out of the extras? Did Alliance, Maple, or E1 put it out?

6. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

No cause my version has the commentary & the trailer & I live in Canada.

7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Perhaps a rental version was accidentally put in the packaging?

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Exchanged it and yep...got another version without the commentary and trailer. I did notice this time around that the disc itself says 2010 and the packaging says 2011. Wasn't this initially announced then cancelled? I'm thinking maybe they pressed copies and then recalled them. Now some have accidentally been released. Gonna try again and exchange it. This is really fucking annoying.

~Matt

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I also have not experienced any issues with this release. That is very odd. Your firmware is in order though right?

10. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I don´t think it´s a case of firmware upgrade. If so, this would be the first time that I listen that a firmware upgrade fixes missing menu items.

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Nope, firmware is up to date. But can someone who has the correct disc confirm
    for me if the disc itself says 2010 or 2011?

~Matt

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I just checked my disc, and 2010 is displayed twice on the disc's label.

Also, the disc size is 29.9gb (dual-layered)

The disc ID is: 98396E31A5058BF2 [BLOOD_SIMPLE]

13. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

This definitely sounds like a potential firmware issue. Many people were unable to access the 2.0 version of Spider-man 2 due to firmware incompatibility. Can you try your disc on a friend or neighbor's player?

14. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I don´t think it´s a case of firmware upgrade.
    Old firmware does not "hide" menu items. He stated that his copy doesn´t have the extras option.

15. shape22

Blu-ray java scripts can cause a whole variety of issues, including menu malfunctions. I wasn't hypothesizing blindly. If you search around you'll find hundreds of forum threads devoted to odd glitches that affect only certain players--such as the one that made it impossible for some people to select the 2.1 expanded version of Spider-man 2. If you don't believe me, check around the net.

Matt, it appears that Canada got a different version of this disc. Check out the many comments at the bottom of the HTF review:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/314272/blood-simple-blu-ray-review

"I purchased this fine movie from Amazon Canada, and the special features are missing. No Kenneth Loring commentary, no introduction from Mortimer Young, and no trailer. The back cover has the audio commentary and trailer listed as special features. The menu on the BD has no option for special features."

16. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Yes, but I never heard of a menu entry missing.

17. shape22

So that makes the factual info that I posted somehow untrue? If you want to speak as an authority on all possible firmware and Blu-ray java issues you might want to establish some credentials beyond "I never heard of a menu entry missing."

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

FUCK. Alright, well I'm getting in contact with MGM and requesting a replacement disc. This is bullshit.

~Matt

19. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Man, chill... I´m not contradicting you or naming myself an authority... JESUS!

If you read my post the right way, I said "Yes" and an agreement on you post and that "I never heard of a menu entry missing" as a statement.
    You want me to lie??? It´s true, I never heard of a menu entry missing because of lack of firmware upgrade. I never said it couldn´t happen, just that I never heard.

20. shape22

Sorry Demoni. I assumed you were just being contrary. I was obviously wrong. Please accept my apology.