Black Sunday Arrow Blu-ray Release 01/28/13

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by X-human, Oct 26, 2012.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

From Amazon.co.uk:
    Looks like it'll include both the European and AIP US version in HD. There's some controversy over the Kino HD transfer so I'll be interesting what we get here (probably the same one with even more tampering as Arrow is known to do). I Vampiri will probably be in SD so I didn't toss that into the topic.

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

this is cool. the inclusion of I Vampiri has me sold, even if it is just SD - I never got around to picking that one up. The only Kino Bava title I got was Hatchet for the Honeymoon. But I love Arrow's packaging, so unless they really bugger up the transfer, I'll be grabbing this.

As much as I love Black Sunday, what I really want is Black Sabbath in HD. With the English audio track.

3. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

This sounds like a good release to keep my eye on, anyone know if Arrow is releasing region free?

4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

While I tend to really like Arrows packaging most reviews say the U.S. transfers are better quality so I'll stick with the domestic release.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Arrow's releases are usually Region B, and since Kino has them as well I highly suspect that it will be region locked.

Yes, Black Sabbath with Karloff's voice is a must. It's bizarre to see him talking without it.

6. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Yeah but Kino's version doesn't have I Vampiri does it?

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, I hate hearing Karloff in Italian. And the English version is basically a very different film in many ways beyond the language. Totally different music score, different editing and the stories are also arranged differently.

Intrada just released a CD with Les Baxter's original score of the English version of the film, so here's hoping...

Kino's version is labelled as the full Italian cut, but the audio is only in English. Same running time as the old Anchor Bay DVD.

8. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

Will both versions be in 1080p? The wording of the release seems vague.
    Even if not region free, and it likely will be, Arrow DVD content is usually in PAL format not compatible with US players. The inclusion of a movie DVD suggests to me that might be the case. Getting both versions of Black Sunday and I Vampiri in 1080p on region free would be too insane.

9. deepred

deepred Member

This will be Region-B locked.

Source
    http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/current-upcoming-arrow-video-titles/9832-arrows-q1-2013-announcements.html

10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

11. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

It sucks that this release is region locked as the Arrow seems to be the one to get.

12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It may seem a bit sacrilegious to the purists out there, but I enjoyed the AIP cut of Black Friday a lot more than the Italian language original. I didn’t fall asleep during it and the Les Baxter score works well.

Erick H. and wago70 like this.
  13. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

All of the older members here grew up on the AIP cut so it's probably not all that surprising. While I do own the Arrow blu I haven't watched it yet so my only experience is with American International.

14. maybrick

I didn’t grow up on it. The only version I have ever seen until this week had been the Italian cut.

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I have to admit I’ve only really discovered Bava’s filmography (with the exception of Bay of Blood) over the past 5-6 years so I’ve actually only seen the Italian cuts of his films. Luckily the Arrow editions include all versions, but I’m curious to check out the AIP cuts. Just haven’t had the time yet.

~Matt

16. maybrick

Actually, I was probably first introduced to Black Sunday via the AIP cut when Tim Burton hosted it on TV in the 90s, but the only version I had seen since then was the Italian cut I bought on DVD 20 years ago. I don’t remember much about that initial viewing.

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ha! I'd like to see Tim Burton host Black Sunday.

I don't think I've seen the AIP version. The first time I ever saw it was on DVD when it was the European cut. And when I got the Arrow discs that's all I watched. Usually I like the native language tracks because the inflections seem a better match to the production as a whole. The English tracks always seem less appropriate somehow.

18. maybrick

It isn’t Black Sunday but I believe this is from the same year.

X-human likes this.
  19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ah cool. Too bad there's not more of these up on YouTube:

Conclusion of Return of the Vampire:

The Haunted Palace:

Promo:

He does a pretty good job on here when he can otherwise be really awkward in interviews. Perhaps talking about other people's movies is easier for him.

On a similar note Penn and Teller did hosting duties on an Outer Limits marathon on TNT's Monstervision in 1993 that's pretty fun too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6VpjJkJWy8

And I did watch Black Sabbath in the original AIP cut because I wanted to hear it with Karloff's original voice. But it did seem off somehow to me. I'd almost like to do a mix where it's the Italian cut/soundtrack with Karloff's voice to be my "just right" version. But that'd probably be pretty weird too.

20. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

As I recall ,it's not only Karloff's real voice in the A.I.P cut, it's Mark Damon's too. As to the "original language" situation, that gets tricky as, with most genre films from Italy at that time, the actors, a multinational lot, were actually speaking English on the set (even though many were just speaking phonetically).Most of them later had their voices overdubbed for the films release in English speaking countries by dubbing artists but the lip synch (generally) lines up. The films often had a mix of actors who spoke different languages, English ,Italian, Spanish, German etc. , but English was a language most people could speak at least a bit of and the English speaking market was the one considered the most potentially lucrative. Often when you see a film like this in Italian it is simply Italian dubbing artists speaking over footage of actors who were saying their lines in English. Natural sound was rarely used on these films, dialogue and sound effects were dubbed in later.

It's well worth seeing BLACK SABBATH in both cuts though as the versions are quite different." The Telephone" segment has been totally reworked story wise , the scores are different, there are different takes with different lighting , the Italian cut has a bit more gore (just seconds), the Karloff segments are different, the coda is different, even the pan the water is dripping into in A DROP OF WATER is different.