Back in the game with a new player

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Dave, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Christy

Christy Active Member

Get it done dude!! ;)

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

So I've spent the Horrordigital down time getting acquainted with an old friend. Laserdisc.

Here's what happened: My film festival is doing their annual Spring Showcase next month (virtually, of course), and one old film they selected never came out on DVD or Blu, only VHS and LD. So they asked me if I could lend my player to generate a digital copy.

Unfortunately, my 704 is still out of commission, with a bad motor. I decided to shit or get off the pot, and finally replace the motor. NOT an easy job, I must say. I had to completely gut the machine (I have photos if anyone's interested), and for some odd reason the spindle clamp is GLUED onto the motor. The clamp must be glued on at a precise height, and my first few attempts were wrong. I finally got it put back together, but dammit the clamp is STILL not grabbing the disc (I had to replace the belt, too).

I have a non-working 703 coming today from E-bay, I'm either going to fix that (I think it's just the belt), or use it as a parts machine for my 704. Stay tuned.

Now in the meantime, because my film festival needed a working player, I found a super cheap non working 604 off of the Bay for just $75. Replaced the belt on that one too (this is a clue...I'm seeing that every LD player has a bad belt at this point...you don't need to track down the Pioneer replacement part, the "SCQ3.6" belt at electronics warehouses is a compatible replacement) and it was spinning great last weekend. Even watched Star Wars in it's original glory.

I bought my first laserdiscs in over 5 years: Two live videos by The Who. I think most of the discs I buy going forward will be in the music video genre.

I'm also considering buying up some more non working players off of E-bay, if I can find them cheap enough, and flipping them. E-bay lists 42 players having sold in the last week alone, so there's definitely a market, and working players go for way more than they should. One thing about tearing my 704 down to the studs, I've become familiar and comfortable with working on these players now, and as mentioned before the only thing wrong with a lot of them is a $3.95 rubber belt.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hey, I resurrected two more players!

Sadly, the only one I can't fix is the 704 that was my workhorse from about 2000 on. I may have to retire it.

The 703 that I got from E-bay did indeed have a bad load belt, and it works pretty well after replacing it. Not as good as the 604 I got a few weeks ago, but I'll keep using it and see if it gets a little smoother as the white lithium grease gets to all the moving parts.

Then there was this DVL-700 I've had for the longest time, but never worked. It was making all sorts of horrible grinding noises and nothing worked. Replacing the belt did nothing. Finally, I was watching a YouTube video on it, and the guy was pointing out that there are TWO lasers in the model: one for LD, one for DVD. They use the same shaft, and the side flip mechanism also acts as a "dock" for the laser not currently in use. What I finally noticed was that they were both on the same "level", when they should always be opposite. Removed the cover of the flip mechanism and rotated it so that they were opposite again. Son of a bitch, the thing works perfectly now. It's still a bit grindy so I may need to grease it up a little more, but it does work.

So yeah, LD is alive again!

X-human, Steel76 and f.ramses like this.