Awesome VHS cover art for movies that sucked...

Discussion in 'General' started by Anthropophagus, Mar 15, 2012.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I thought it was alright. Nothing spectacular, nothing to go to great pains in order to see, and pretty much a tired update to a story that's older than dirt, but it's still not even close to being among the worst the genre has to offer.

2. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Have to disagree with this one.This really isn't a bad movie.Pick up the double feature DVD it's cheap.

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Not to sound like Antro, but all those black folks in VT? Cmon. They're all playing with their ski's, snowmobiles and snow shoes in the front yard all silly sped up then smokin' blunts - haha. The CGI was terrible and you think based on the cover you're in for some good gore, but there is none.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that they were all visiting from other areas of the country. VT does sport the occasional black family. Not many, but a few do exist.

5. Mutilated Prey

I didn't quite understand what drew them all up there and how the "family" decided to impose their ritual, or whatever that was supposed to be, on them up there at that time. Yeah, NH, VT and ME I frequent but rarely come across Afro-Americans unless there's some sort of sports scholarship or exchange student program. But whatever, was just expecting more out of the movie. You can hold your candle for a sequel ;)

The IMDB discussions are funny - people are like "this movie seems like its all about blacks why do the dvd cover look like a white female then?". And someone else is like "There's a couple of token honkies but they get bumped off early on." :lol:

6. Korngold

Korngold New Member

I love this thread. Nothing like old school cover art.

7. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

[​IMG]
    I always loved seeing this VHS box art at the video store. The movie isn't exactly terrible but it's not great either.

8. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I actually like Xtro, but I guess my taste is different than others.

9. Mutilated Prey

I kinda had the opposite effect with Xtro. I always saw the box, but never wanted to rent it because I thought it looked kinda stupid. That kid with his lame turtleneck sweater looking all pip pip and the spaceship in the background - wasn't drawing me in. The monster/alien kept me somewhat intrigued but not enough to ever pull the trigger. I was actually pleasantly surprised when I finally watched it.

10. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

If you liked Creeps, definitely see Comet. It's PG but it's really good. Just ignore the awful 12-minute (or so) opening. I don't know why but they stuck in a really bizarre catfight for NO good reason. (I'm actually, somehow, not surprised it's on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ-9nRONJrQ .)

Evil Ed? Unless you really want to see a serious downgrade of what was energetic and exciting in Dead Alive / Braindead, continue skipping it.

11. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Yeah, you´re right! The movie isn't terrible not great... it´s awsome!

12. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

Interesting there are so many Xtro fans. :eek:

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I found Xtro boring (though there were some worth while effects). I also found Night of the Comet to be fairly boring.

14. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Xtro is awesome :banana:

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

:lol: thats hilarious! ok, i'm definitely watching this at some point, and soon! thanks.

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That scene is my favorite from the film. For me though I felt like the movie became less interesting and fun once they got to the radio station.

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

So I watched Night of the Comet, and I should start by thanking you for recommending it to me, since i enjoyed it quite a bit. that being said, i don't think i enjoyed it as much as ...Creeps. I think the reason is that in Creeps the main characters are central to the action and the plot, they have a role to play in the release of the creeps, and they work throughout the movie to battle and finally defeat them. The characters in Comet, on the other hand, spend the majority of the film just sort of randomly exploring the post-apocalyptic city, until the jumpsuit people enter the picture. That lack of direction made the action of the film a little less engaging. of course, the entertaining characters certainly helped to make up for that, and ultimately it was still a very fun movie. still like Creeps better, though.

18. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

I LOVE that ANTS VHS Cover!!:D I have that ANTS VHS Tape and the Big Box Video Cover sitting proudly on my shelf in my Movie Collection!! I had searched for it for years and finally found it at a Used Video Store in FL years ago!! There is something really Special about having and collecting those Big Box Horror Videos!!

Sure, the Movie ANTS doesn't live up to it's Great Cover, then again, how could it?! ANTS is still a Fun 'Nature Gone Bad' Horror Movie and Suzanne Somers looks Hot in the Film!! This was right around the start of "Three's Company" and Suzanne was really Sexy back then!! There is just something Wild about seeing a Semi-Nude Somers, clad in a bed sheet, wake up to be devoured by Killer Ants!!;)

19. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

JENNIFER is one more of many VHS Tapes that took me a long time to track down!! I Love that Video Cover Art for Jennifer and I enjoyed the Movie too!! I knew that it was a Made For TV CARRIE Rip Off so I wasn't going into it expecting it to be anything else and it is a Fun Little Horror Movie!! I think I paid $15 for it at a Used Video Shop years ago and it still is OOP and goes for Good Money today!! It sits on my Horror Movie Shelf and the Cover Art is still a one of my Favorites!! Even if the Movie turned out to be not what you expected, sometimes that Video Cover still made it all worth the hunt!!

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Agreed. Comet is good but Creeps is great. I found Comet a little boring at parts, but Creeps isn't perfect either. It seems like its' tone shifts all over the place, almost like it started out as three different movies before combining them into one. That said Atkins as usual owns his role with many excellent and quotable one liners!