Attack The Block (2011)

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Jul 14, 2011.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

After watching the trailer I hope ALL (except for Nick Frost) of those annoying characters gets brutally massacred by the creature ;)

Might give it a spin though.

And yeah, a Hollywood remake is probably already in the making ;)

3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Saw this last night and absolutely loved it. My favorite horror movie of the year. The entire film is packed with originality in how it presents the plot, characters, and monsters. It's not perfect mind you, but I had a lot of fun with it.

4. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

5. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I KNOW!!! I was excited about seeing this until I saw the trailer and realized I'd be watching some losers fight for their life and might end up thinking they'd be better off dead! There are few directors that can make thugs seem compelling. Tarantino is one of them.

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Saw the film:

Hands down one of the best movies to come out this year imo. Anyone that had doubts about going to see the movie should give it a try you just may like it. 1 hour 30 min, in and out. It's not boring at all.

89% Rotten Tomatoes

I don't care I'll admit it I actually jumped at the first three "jump" scares in the movie. In fact there had to be at least five that I jumped to in total. And these weren't you run of mill cat leaps off a shelf type false alarms either. Haven't seen that in years. This director really brought the goods imo.

Not sure what opinions you get from the trailer about the quality of the movie, but for a 13 million dollar budget it looks like 75 million. The whole movie is shot a night (it takes place over one night). It's just plain gorgeous. So crisp and clean. Can't believe this is a first time "movie" director.

So lets get to the aliens. Absolutely superb. Don't even want to describe them to give away the impact. But I can tell you that how they are presented on screen is basically flawless. I swear at times you can't tell if if its CGI or a "guy in a suit" . And the guy in the suit is not a con, it's how the "movement" of the aliens, that look like they are really there opposed to drawn in. Basically on what I'm saying is that I never saw creatures like this in a movie before. There fantastic. I want there to be a part 2,3,4, etc.... just so I get to see them again. They are that good imo. Telling you, if you saw one these things in the street you would knock your own grandmother over to get away.

As far as the acting, some characters can be a little annoying at first. But I think it's due to the fast talking. It took me a little while to get used to the lingo & accents. The two little kids that are not part of the main group of teens are highly enjoyable.

And on the "rating" It start's off like it could be PG-13 , then wham it hits you with a scene that makes you go Oh! this is definitely Rated R, I didn't see that one coming.

I'm telling you guys , give it a shot, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  7. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

No doubt I'm picking this up when it releases--BD and DVD currently have a 10/25 street date. :glasses:

8. Severn

Severn Member

Saw it and dug it. Damn fun film (that's really well made). Really aren't that many of those.

9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I thought I was going to give the movie a chance, even though I wasn´t impressed by the trailer.
    I´m about 15 minutes in, and all I want is for those little shitheads to blow their fucking brains out.
    Not only are they annoying as hell, but you can barely understand what the fuck they´re saying, thanks to the heavy slang.

Does the movie improve? Do all those kids die horribly? Or am I just to damn old for this movie? ;)

10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

11. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

hated it, hated are so called (hero's) of the piece, just wanted them all to die, and the ending, god awful, i've not groaned that loud in such a long time.

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  13. cjg

cjg Active Member

Not impressed I couldnt understand a thing they were saying either

14. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

My guests wondered what I had planned for our Halloween viewing last night, and for the first time I was unprepared--yikes! We started off with the latest Treehouse of Horror, and then we moved onto homemade chicken tacos. I admitted that I didn't have anything interesting from Netflix, so we turned to Comast's OnDemand. I remembered this thread, so I suggested Attack the Block. Everyone was game and so we queued it up.

Success! What a fun film. My guests loved how artfully the film looked at times, the fun slang and unique take on the "invasion" film. Plus, the aliens--wow. Great way to make a limited design look scary. It was funny, and I actually cared about the characters.

MS is right in that it did have that Monster Squad feel, especially the insular slang. I loved The Monster Squad so much as a kid, because the characters talked like I did--not like how some producer thought I talked with my friends. And I bet AtB's kids speak to many contemporary early teens as well. Felt totally authentic. Loved it.

15. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

With lines like "Yo, someone should call Simon Cowell 'cause this aliens got talent" I'll pass.

16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Glad to hear this. Sounds like a great time you had. I've been saying, its a really nice film & definitely worth checking out.

+ Chalk up another in the aliens/monsters looking great column.

Can't stress this point enough.

17. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

LOVED it. 100% pure entertainment, one of my favorites of the year. The aliens were really cool, loved the look, movement, their sound effects. This really is akin to The Monster Squad, I can totally see kids getting into this the way we did with The Monster Squad back then.

18. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Finally watched this! The one qualm I had with it is what I thought would happen. I don't want to spoil much, but essentially the plot is a bunch of hoodlums defend their apartment complex in the UK against aliens. They start the film with these punks robbing some woman at knifepoint. Now as much as they made them look like kids who had a bad life handed to them and some you can symphasize with (this all comes out in the course of the film), I still had a hard time feeling for any of them, especially the leader after they robbed this poor woman (who becomes one of their group fending off the attack). I've worked with disturbed teens. I shoot a video for a school that helps them out, every year, but when it comes down to it, if you threaten someone's life, your life is over, end of story. If someone pulled a knife on me, kid, adult, whatever, I'd shoot them!

Now that I'm off my soapbox, the movie had great scenes, great effects and a fairly original story concept, when you realize why the aliens are attacking. I also liked the hip hop soundtrack and I'm not much for that kind of music. The accents are a bit hard to understand as well as the dialog, since it is UK street talk, but most of it you can figure out, especially once the movie gets going, but I still used subtitles.

All in all, the scifi fans here will like the film if they too can get past the fact that you're rooting for a bunch of hoodlums. I was actually rooting for the aliens!! :)

19. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

My feelings mostly mirror yours Shannafey. I could have really enjoyed this film if the "heroes" were actually worth rooting for. When I see "kids" roughing up women and robbing them at knife point I hope to see Charles Bronson materialize from the shadows and decorate the wall with their brains. These guys aren't mischievous but ultimately good-hearted teens. They're deplorable hoodlums who deserve rehabilitation at the business end of a Wildey Magnum. And no amount of bravery, semi-endearing goofiness, or cheeky dialogue was going to improve my opinion of them after that assault.

I'm sure the director was trying to be unconventional by making his heroes nontraditional. But my understanding of what he was trying to accomplish didn't stop me from rooting for all of the gang members to die. So I ultimately found the film unrewarding despite the fact that a lot of it is tremendously well done.

The fact that the 2 little kids are so endearing really shows how much more enjoyable this flick might have been if the main characters were roguish instead of thuggish.

20. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I thought the flick was a blast all the way through. I was worried it would be too much comedy and not enough scares from the trailer, but the blend is perfect. It looked great, flowed great and was just fun. Probably the best movie I've seen so far this year (2012). I just checked it from the library, but will grab it next time I see it on sale. If you're on the fence, give it a try.