Asteroid-based movie

Discussion in 'General' started by Franco, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Franco

Franco Weekender

Hey, do you remember 70s/80s a movie about an asteroid that is about to crash on the Earth? What's the title?

Here're some guides (spoilers sadly) but maybe you've already seen it on TV:

The government decides to launch nuclear missiles at it. I guess some hit it and at the end the remnants of it crash into some cities. And at the end before the credits, a text appears about a "real" project of the government to put nuclear missiles in orbit to destroy such menaces.

Don't know if it's a TV movie but was good I guess when it was released.

2. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

3. Franco

Franco Weekender

You're right. Thank you! ;)

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I remember seeing the ad for it in TV Guide at the time, but not the movie itself.

5. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

you're welcome. :)

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

There was also the tv movie A FIRE IN THE SKY,released around the same time,though that,technically was about a comet striking the Earth.Richard Crenna starred in that one.

7. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Meteor also was the basis of a GREAT pinball machine!!!

8. MrVess

MrVess Guest

Hmm, I wonder if Uwe would like to adapt "Asteroids" to a film? He could do an "Armageddon" version, only with Billy Zane.

[​IMG]

9. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

10. JohnIan

JohnIan New Member

A good production was a CBS TV movie, Without Warning. It aired on October 30th, 1994 and is on DVD. A bit hard to find, but it's out there. I have my copy.

It was a mock-live broadcast about meteor which just impacted and the enigma surrounding it - it's making noises. Later more large rocks fall, ready to impact the capitals of America, Russia and China.

If you're looking for resolution, look elsewhere. Things happened that have no closure. There's a midwestern town that disappeared. Suvivors of the impact site that should've been killed instantly by the fire ball. The ending was sweet, I didn't see that coming.

When it aired (only once) there were these odd sponsored spots, which by the end of the movie it's understood, the spots were actually foreshadowing the aftermath. In short, we were visited by aliens that night. We f**ked it up.

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, it's a great TV movie. Quite realistic being filmed much as a live news broadcast. Madacy released the DVD, and while not easy to find, it should be easy to order from most retailers.

The ending was unexpected and worked well, but you should have used spoiler tags! :evil: