Arrow Video US / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Eesh, yeah that looks dogshit. I'm surprised it doesn't look exactly the same as Scream Factory's, like the Director's Cut does. It's unlike Arrow to have inferior transfers these days.

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Maybe they had some contract limitations as per shout did with the theatrical print? It certainly doesn't look great looks more like an SD print.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Picked up the C.H.U.D. reissue and am happy to report its the 2 disc version with booklet.

satans-sadists likes this.
  4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Well I caved!!!! Amazon UK are currently doing the limited edition American Werewolf for £15, crazy price, it won't be that for long and I'm sure this will be deleted soon, and its worth it at that price for the poster, postcards and the book!

shape22, fceurich39 and Steel76 like this.
  5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I placed my order, too. Less than $21 shipped to the USA!

6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

My pleasure.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Loved the extras on The Prey. I like that they got all three leading ladies, but none of their interchangeable boyfriends who fail to leave an impression.

Anyway, if you've ever had Gayle's BBQ sauce, which is the BBQ sauce used at TGIFridays and California Pizza Kitchen, that's the business owned and started by the actress who played the wonderful side-pony-tailed Gail in The Prey! She started the business in 1984, the year The Prey was released! How fun, I love little trivia like that!

[​IMG]

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

chancetx likes this.
  10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The Pyjama Girl Case is one of my favorite "later" Giallo films, one that makes you immediately want to re-watch to pick up on what you saw. Highly recommended.

gobad2003 likes this.
  13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Evil Ed and Brain Damage rereleases are coming Feb 2020!

14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ The extras on Evil Ed are outstanding, even better than the movie itself. I'm glad I went for the Limited Edition when it was available.

gobad2003 likes this.
  15. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

Same here, I'm glad I went for the LE :D

16. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

17. shape22

My AAWIL Limited edition arrived today. Jesus, what an upgrade! Screenshots don't really do justice to the improvements. Both previous blu-ray transfers made it look like a low-budget, poorly-lit hack job, but it finally looks like a moody, skillfully shot horror film. Blacks are deeper, contrast is much richer, and color saturation is vastly improved. The digital sharpening that made the grain levels look insane in the original transfer is completely gone, and the texture that was scrubbed away in the second release is fully apparent here. This release looks organic, like film. It's a dramatic change.

Anyone still doubting that Universal ALWAYS goes overboard with filtering and DNR should really compare this release to the second Universal transfer. To my eyes, that disc has very similar levels of noise reduction to the classic Universal monster releases. I would love to see Arrow get their hands on the Goldern Era Universal films. The scans on those are awesome, but they were clearly "de-grained" according to Universal's standard operating procedures. I'd love to someday see them looking as filmic as AAWIL.

Arrow has really set a high bar. Every time Shout gets a title I want I die a little inside. They do NOTHING on Arrow's level.

Matt89, hots4, Steel76 and 3 others like this.
  18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I finally got my American Werewolf in London SE last week. Surprisingly I didn't find myself enjoying it as much as I thought I would. I can't actually remember how long it had been since I'd seen it last. I think I just didn't like it's balance of comedy and horror. The transformation scene is rather disturbing for example and almost feels a bit out of place. The effects are still great and I like things like the scene were David tries to get arrested but can't. Still, this is one I can live without.

19. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I watched American Werewolf in July on blu-ray. The last time I saw the film was in 1995. When I was younger it was in my top 10. It was one of those films that I had to sneak into when it played in the theater. While I wouldn't put it in my top 10 today it still is such a well made and enjoyable film that I wouldn't want to live without it. I purchased the Arrow blu-ray and after seeing several reviews raving about the quality increase I'm looking forward to viewing again.

Matt89 and buck135 like this.
  20. shape22

I've always liked AAWIL without loving it. I still feel the same way. It has pretty much everything you could want (a great cast, awesome practical effects, a witty script, great setpieces), but I find it strangely uncompelling in some undefinable way. I have much warmer feelings about movies that aren't nearly as good on an objective scale. I concur that the schizophrenic mood is probably part of the problem for me.

sinister and Zombie Dude like this.