Arrow Video US / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/photos/a.157131957654140/2809638289070147/

https://www.facebook.com/DiabolikDVD/posts/10157785523723530

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yuck, Diabolik exclusives are the worst. Just do a regular slipcover.

f.ramses likes this.
  3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

If they are thinner like the Scared Stiff Slipcover was, I agree. Hopefully they do a standard thicker Slip this time around.

Regardless, gotta have it and it's really no more than the Arrow UK one from their site. I've been waiting on this to be released forever...and I seriously doubt 500 will last too long there, so pre-ordered! It should ship earlier than elsewhere at least...

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So is Edge of the Axe worth a blind buy?

6. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Agreed - pre-ordered!

7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Picked up and currently watching The Stuff reissue bluray today.

8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Capaholic comparisons between the new arrow release of America Werewolf In London are up, here:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=3576

I've brought this title many times and my most recent upgrade was the uiversal restored release.

I was debating another upgrade, but for me after seeing the comparisons the difference it's negligible, I'm sure people will say the arrow will look better when playing, but I think the difference will be that miniscule, that for I'm sticking with the universal release.

9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The Arrow version IS better.

Not only is the Universal disc suffering from DNR, it's also contrast boosted.

The details in the flames are crushed by the boosting:
    https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=13516&d2=8867&s1=135884&s2=85264&i=5&l=0&a=0

But if your satisfied with the one you got, then save the money for something else.
    I'm a big fan of the movie, and I didn't bother "upgrading" to the Universal re-release, so it's worth every penny :)

Zombie Dude and Katatonia like this.
  10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I am a big fan of the movie, but I've upgraded around 5 or 6 times, if the deleted gore scene was there I would be purchasing in a heartbeat, but it's not and at this point I need to be a bit more restrictive with my purchases, If this was night and day (like the original universal release to the re-release), then Defo, but it's not, so down the line if I see it uber cheap, hell yeah, I'll purchase, but for now, I'm happy with it and will stick with it and spend my cash on something I've not had previously.

Steel76 likes this.
  11. Katatonia

...and as expected Diabolik have sold out of the Edge of the Axe Slipcover Limited Edition per their Facebook post:

Arrow have also now sold out of their "UK" Slipcover Limited Edition.

12. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

Thanks for the heads up Kat or I would have missed out on this, You the Man :D

13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Yep, thanks, I jumped on the Diabolik one as well.

14. Mutilated Prey

Yeah thanks for the heads up Kat!

15. Mutilated Prey

fceurich39 likes this.
  16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Did you ever get yours from DeepDiscount?

I had pre-ordered from DeepDiscount (which was cancelled), then from Target (which was also now cancelled). DeepDiscount doesn't even have a listing for it anymore, same goes for Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, Family Video, etc.

It appears the only retailers that have it in stock are Amazon, HamiltonBook, and Bullmoose. I finally caved and ordered it from Amazon.

Looking into it, it appears to be limited to 3000 copies. After that, it will be reissued without the 2nd disc, slipcover, and booklet. Which is fine, they did the same for Blood Rage, however, if this was essentially going to be an Amazon exclusive, I don't understand why Arrow is allowing retailers like DeepDiscount, Target, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, etc to be even taking orders in the first place? Had I known that, I'd have just ordered from Amazon in the first place and had it a month ago.

Even ordering Arrow titles from Amazon, there was a time they couldn't even fill orders on the limited editions of Bride Of ReAnimator and Creepshow 2 (I got mine elsewhere, fortunately). So where is the reliable place for US customers to order these Arrow limited editions? I know they're a UK company, but still...

17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Picked up American Werewolf in London LE Arrow Video release at my record store they also had most of the rerelease titles like Chud, hellraiser house etc.

18. Mutilated Prey

My deep discount order was canceled as well. I too caved and ordered directly from Amazon. It appears the limited 3000 copies of the LE is dwindling fast.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  19. Katatonia

Bullmoose or Diabolik are the best to order Arrow releases from. I generally receive them before the release date from Bullmoose and they also ship them in small boxes, unlike Amazon, etc.

I've pretty much stopped ordering from Deep Discount period, as their billing practices have changed. If you use a debit card there, you often have triple authorizations for different amounts for the same item — one when the order is placed, another (for some reason without the tax added) when it ships, and then a finalization charge with the tax added – and that finalization is often long after it ships or is received! Why they started that crap all of the sudden is just screwy.

They really pissed me off when they started also recently charging county and city taxes. Before that, they were only charging state tax. I can understand the state tax, but tacking on county + city tax in a state they have no physical presence is is a load of bull. Now unless it's a great price to begin with...even their 10% and 15% coupons are a joke.

20. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Screen caps for Nightbreed are up at caps-a-holic: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=13522&d2=10926&s1=135993&s2=106796&i=0&l=0

Arrow's director's cut largely looks the same as Scream Factory's release, except that's it's letterboxed to 1.85:1 rather than open matte at 1.78:1.

Arrow's theatrical cut... looks horrible. They don't seem to have any caps of footage unique to the theatrical cut, but I suspect that Scream Factory's theatrical cut, while advertised as an IP transfer, is actually the OCN transfer with IP inserts. Arrow's theatrical cut, on the other hand, seems to be 100% IP, and it looks awful.

Zombie Dude likes this.