Arrow Video US / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

American Werewolf is something that I’d likely pick up at next year’s 2 for 1 sale, but it’s nothing that I need. Already have it on blu.

2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Yeah, I like the movie. And I’ll likely get it, but it’s not a first day purchase or anything.

3. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

At least we'll finally know what it's supposed to look like. The first blu-ray was digitally sharpened into a noisy mess, and the second was substantially DNR'd. Arrow is almost as reliable as Vinegar Syndrome when it comes to preserving a film-like appearance. With a new 4k scan completed, their transfer should be head-and-shoulders above both of the prior blu-rays.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Exactly my thoughts. Already have this one pre-ordered. I find this to be the best Werewolf film I've seen and have wanted to have it in my collection but was never happy with the look of the previous two transfers.
    I think I sold my copy of the first release hoping the second one would look a lot better. Sadly that didn't happen so I'm glad I just held off. This new set looks great.

Steel76 likes this.
  5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I wonder if it's safe to delete the TCM HD broadcast version from my DVR yet...?

8. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

I guess that depends on what was broadcast. The Mondo Digital review covers the minor differences between the standard release and the "director's cut" that was on laserdisc. Arrow is releasing the standard "uncut" version. I think it's a safe bet that TCM broadcast the same cut that Arrow went with since the direct has the copyright for his edited version.

9. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    The TCM HD broadcast was an edited version but it looked so good. I felt the color and overall tint was better than the 88 Films blu ray - especially with the actors' make up (seemed way to pancake-y).

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Damn those screenshots from the new disc are incredible. These two shots especially, the new transfer absolutely obliterates the 88 Films release:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look at all that grain on the new transfer! It’s glorious. Not to mention the framing and the colours are much better as well. Accurate skin tones finally.

~Matt

Kim Bruun and Zombie Dude like this.
  11. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Wow. Big difference. Good to know that, at the very least, the Arrow release will look fantastic.

Matt89 likes this.
  12. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Geez. Huuuuge difference. Wow.

Matt89 likes this.
  13. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Blu-ray.com review of The Chill Factor: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Chill-Factor-Blu-ray/241513/#Review

I just watched it, and I will say that I enjoyed it, but it isn't quite as heady as Scared Stiff or Trapped Alive. The story is standard popcorn fare, and the actors are good enough for the material. Particularly the guy referred to in the alternative title Demon Possessed does a lot with his eyes and nostrils alone when the evil takes a hold of him at a rather intimate moment. No real makeup is involved for the scene, but the dude channels a bit of Andrew Stevens, and it's quite menacing. Gore effects are decent, but one death hints at more splatter than is actually shown, and you can't help but wonder if they just didn't have the time and money to give you that spectacular scattering of viscera. The one aspect that I feel lets the movie down is the soundtrack. Apart from a goofy country ballad, it's a bit lacking in energy and never really pushes the drama when it needs to. Still, The Chill Factor is a keeper for me, and I'll no doubt watch it again at some point.

Mutilated Prey, chancetx and CPT HOOK like this.
  14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I received the Alice Sweet Alice Blu-ray from Bullmoose today. :) Gotta love 'em, even with free shipping they always send things Priority or 1st Class, and in small white boxes for protection now.

Beautiful transfer, easily smashes the 88 Films Blu-ray in every single way possible. You really do see things in this new transfer that you've never even noticed before, the transfer is literally that good in comparison to all else before.

The Slipcover looks quite attractive, and there's also a fold-out poster inside the case. Yay!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  15. Katatonia

MVD are currently having an Arrow sale on select titles, all for less than $10: https://mvdshop.com/collections/arrow-video-summer-sale

Not a lot included, but some nice prices on some.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    X-human likes this.
  16. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

17. Katatonia

It was just a double link error. Try it again now.

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Property Is No Longer A Theft is at a real good price. I just made a note of that film because I hear Daria Nicolodi is very good in it. Hard to come up with $40 to get free shipping though...

Katatonia likes this.
  19. Katatonia

They do have a pretty massive catalog here. I'm pretty sure free shipping works on anything, not just the Arrow sale.

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Sure but none of their other releases seem competitively priced (if they're discounted at all). Which is par the course for many distributor's own websites.

Same thing happened to me with their Christmas sale. A couple of items were dirt cheap I could have splurged on but then when you threw in shipping it no longer seemed worth the doing.

I'm half tempted to double up and perhaps I could still possibly break even if not do better selling it later. But at $9.95 I'd need six items total. And I've got enough crap I'm trying to sell off anyways.