Arrow Video US / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Great we finally get a new transfer on Oldboy. Up till now I think they've been using the same master originally made by Korea for DVD. As an absolute favorite of mine this'll be a must have to see it with a new master delivered by Arrow:
    https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/oldboy--limited-edition-three-disc-bd-collection/FCD1921

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Question, is does Arrow not sell their USA release on their site? If they do I can never seem to find them.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

No. While they have US releases and a US site - www.arrowvideo.com - their base of operations is still in the UK so all their US releases are only sold through their US distribution channels and not direct. For instance: on the US site you can actually 'shop' their US titles, but all the Buy Now buttons refer you to purchase them through DiabolikDVD. Their UK site - www.arrowfilms.com - you can buy direct from their actual base of operations but of course it's only their UK titles available.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Seems odd to not have their own store to sell them from. Thanks for the info!

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched the disc, so just to follow up with it fresh in mind, I would say the blu-ray.com review for this is pretty spot on. In a lot of ways, the extras on this release are better than the movie. Arrow really did a terrific job on this, and the extras are loaded with great behind-the-scenes stories. As for the movie, it's very dark, taking place almost entirely at night either in a car or a mine. The horror stuff is maybe a bit sparse, but the movie as a whole is still kitschy and fun. I'm sure it will bore a lot of people, but I still had fun. The movie itself might be a hard one to recommend, but the one-two punch of the movie and the extras explaining where this movie even came from is great fun.

7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Thank you, I'll pick it up at some point, I'll probably wait till its in a sale mind.

8. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I just watched it and found it loads of fun. The thespianism on display is generally spirited if inexpert. Near the end, one character delivers an expository, overly long monologue that starts off badly and never quite recovers - it's almost heroic the way she just keeps going, even though she must have realised from the get-go that she wasn't nailing it. There's also a fantastic line that goes something like this: "Have you ever been down a mine? [...] You go down and down until you find a shaft." The line leads up to a heavily implied act of fellatio. Other delights include a faceful of glass shards, a partially eaten face and abdomen, big 80's hair and makeup, and a cannibalistic killer who looks like the subterranean cousin of Madman Marz. Cameron Mitchell also stars, but surprisingly, I found his scenes to be the weakest. Still, I'd unreservedly recommend Trapped Alive to anyone who loves 80's slashers.

Edit: Check out the trailer (unfortunately NOT included in the release):

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    fceurich39 likes this.
  9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

From the review:
    Uhm, what?

That said, I'll see the reviewer's preference for Alex Kubik and raise him Elizabeth Kent's overwrought performance as the caretaker's slutty wife.*

*I was hesitant to use this term, and do not think poorly of women - or men - with many sex partners. I just found it hilarious that she lives in the middle of nowhere, walks around the house dressed like THAT, and practically throws herself at the first man who pulls up in his car - all this while her husband is asleep in the next room.

satans-sadists likes this.
  11. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

For the most part this is not the venue to worry about using the word slutty.

And around here, we don't particular consider that (using the term or the behavior) to be a bad thing.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Kim Bruun likes this.
  12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

russweiss and Katatonia like this.
  14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, pretty good pre-order deals at an opportune time.

I did a pre-order for two American Horror Project: Volume Two sets earlier. I was surprised two of the same title worked with the promotion, but it does. There was really nothing else of near equal value I needed or wanted, so I'll just trade the extra one off. Added incentive if something should arrive "damaged" on one set also I suppose...

And then I grabbed Double Face and 52 Pick Up in a separate order.

I wish this would have been around yesterday, as The Sender and Def-Con 4 shipped from Amazon UK already! o_O Oh well... but it looks like The Sender went drastically down in price on there, so I should at least get a pre-order price refund as it only came out today.

There is also 2.5% cash back on Ebates/Rakuten (and Topcashback) at Zavvi. Just make sure you have your Zavvi account set for "United Kingdom" on the Region & Language setting. Otherwise it seems to automatically remove the Arrow promotion if it's set to the United States.

15. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

What’s their shipping cost to the US?

16. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Sorry I've no idea, I live in the UK

17. Katatonia

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    satans-sadists and russweiss like this.
  18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It’s £3.99 for shipping to the US. I got Matinee and Dr Phibes Rises Again, but then caved today and placed a second order for Lifeforce and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.

20. Katatonia

Hmm weird, it was free shipping on my order. My smallest order was $23.14 total. What was your total price?