Arrow Video US / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I wonder why Arrow's New World titles are going OOP? CHUD, The Stuff, Creepshow 2, House, House 2, etc.

Seems weird, especially when labels like Kino, Vinegar Syndrome, and Code Red are all digging into the catalogue.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I knew that CHUD had gone OOP, which was surprising... but wasn't aware those others had as well.

It is weird, and the only thing I can think of is that Arrow somehow lost the rights to them. Otherwise I can't think of a good reason why they would all just suddenly go OOP.

3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

While Arrow seems to be licensing UK rights to New World titles directly through Lakeshore Entertainment, they seem to be sublicensing US rights through RLJ Entertainment (Image Entertainment). All the other companies seem to be going directly through Lakeshore for titles that aren't part of Lakeshore's licensing arrangement with RLJ.

RLJ's license with Lakeshore dates back to 2011, when they started putting out those awful "Midnight Madness Series" releases. I have no idea what the terms of that license were, but this article just came out last month:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/lakeshore-entertainment-selling-film-library-1203158645/

This leaves me wondering if RLJ's license with Lakeshore is coming to it's conclusion. RLJ did just announce a June steelbook release for Children of the Corn, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's a last ditch effort to move some of their "Midnight Madness" inventory while their license is still active. While most of their previous Midnigh Madness Blu-Rays and DVDs seem to be available, it appears their DVD for The Stuff has gone OOP.

Katatonia likes this.
  4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

^^ that makes perfect sense zbinks. I had forgotten they licensed most of those from Image/RLJ, so that could very well be the case here.

zbinks likes this.
  5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

That may also be why some of their more recent New World titles (Heathers, Elvira) wound up being UK only.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Also Arrow might be hedging their bets and not ordering another production run on products they may not have the time to push. In case the back catalog is bought by another company that decides not to continue their distribution deals with Arrow (however their contract works).

So this may simply be a "wait and see" approach by Arrow.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

So... which of the 4 versions of Torso on Arrow's blu-ray am I supposed to watch?

x666x likes this.
  8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Perhaps a conversation better suited for the Asian Horror Forum, but the reason One Missed Call works so well is the director, Takashi Miike. It's still a Japanese-scary-girl-ghost movie, but with Miike's unmistakable style. I compare it to a Fulci-made Giallo, of all things; he follows the rules of the sub-genre, but knows when to break them too.

9. sinister

sinister Active Member

10. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

Their site is slow as a snail.

chancetx likes this.
  11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Please tell me it's better than the American remake. That shit was atrocious.

12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

^ never saw the remake, but the Miike original is easily one of the better films in the sub-genre.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

You may not be seeing the sale prices. They come and go for me even from my cart. Try logging in, then click Shop from the top menu, and select Members Only Easter Sale from the pull down. See if that sticks. Prices are pretty good.

I kept an eye an Elvira and it came back in stock. So I rushed an order in and it looks like it went through. So fingers crossed. I have a lot of Arrow points and so I applied them and only had to pay shipping and handling! If I had known that I would have bought more but I pulled the trigger as quick as I could so I didn't miss my Elvira window.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Iv'e just looked, not what I'd call a sale prices are more than the 'normal' price shown on Amazon for example, a major pass from me, I was only looking at blu rays so their might be some good deals on the other merchandise?

17. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

The sale only works when you log in with your account on their site and then choose the option 'Members Only Easter Sale', otherwise you just get to see the regular shop with regular prices.

X-human likes this.
  18. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Yeah I gave up after a few minutes

19. sinister

sinister Active Member

It does seem a little inconsistent at knowing you're logged in on your account to show the sale prices. To check, look at the price of the Narcos season 1,2,3 Blu-ray, normally £40 but only £25 in the sale.

Or if it's showing the sale prices in the shop listing it'll have a line through the regular price and the sale price to the right.

20. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Thank you, I think there was a problem previously, I thought I'd logged in, but was still getting the normal prices, sorted now.