Arrow Video US / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I am in Toronto Canada and many of my packages also hit Jamaica NY as well. So, I will have to agree that this plus it being Christmas will cause delays.

2. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Nothing strange, it's just the post office in December. Most PO facilities are gong shows this month.

3. sinister

sinister Active Member

Thanks all, I think I was just being paranoid what with this set being "irreplaceable". :D

It's now moved to "NEWARK INTERNATIONAL, NEWARK, UNITED STATES" so is at least making progress again. Just thought it was a bit weird being stuck in one place for 11 days before even leaving the US, I've seen incoming customs clearance take up to 3-4 weeks over here before but there's not usually a major delay on export.

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

5. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

That's my image from the thread over there, I meant to post it here as well but I forgot, so thanks for posting it! Vampyres is cool, never seen the other two, but I remember The Coming of Sin's poster with the girl sitting inside the ass end of a horse. Hopefully Edge of the Axe is coming soon.

6. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I'm not too keen on buying Vampyres again even though it's a decent movie, but I'll probably pick it up for the other two as I'd love an upgrade from my old Pagan DVD of The Coming of Sin and I've never seen Whirlpool.

edit: I didn't know this until now but apparently the Pagan DVD of The Coming of Sin is cut by over a minute. Hopefully Arrow does this uncut, otherwise no sale! Then again I don't see UK ratings on those pics so maybe this is not something I need to worry about since those cuts to the DVD were from the British Board of Film Censors...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

The BBFC have relaxed their ratings considerably, if these were censored a long time ago, then most likely now released uncut.

Only self harm, excessive sexual violence and real animal cruelty get's cut now.

f.ramses likes this.
  8. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I know a lot of stuff that previously didn't pass uncut in the UK now does but I'm always pessimistic about that happening until it does because it's messed up that this organization even exists in the first place.

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I will probably pass on the '70s boxset, but I'm 110% sold on the '80s boxset! Take my money now!

Hopefully these will be US as well, since Arrow seems to be UK only region-locking their best releases anymore. Since it was in Rue Morgue (Canadian), I imagine the '70s boxset will be US at least.

10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I think they are miles better than the MPAA with their 2 frames removed here or there lack of guidance on what cuts are required when they give a movie an NC17.

The BBFC have moved with the times, the MPAA have not.

11. sinister

sinister Active Member

^^ There's one critical difference though... in the UK it's *illegal* to release a movie on video without BBFC certification, so if they won't pass an un-cut version then only the censored version can legally be released in the UK. Whereas the US system with the MPAA allows anyone to release an un-rated version on video without any certification at all. To me, as a fan of uncensored movies, the US system is clearly superior as censorship is optional and voluntary on the part of the movie company , in the UK it's mandated by law.

russweiss likes this.
  12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah the MPAA is definitely a better system than the BBFC. At least you have the option of releasing a movie uncut. Canada is similar to the MPAA. We have G, PG, 14A, 18A and R. Most R-rated movies (in the states) get 18A in Canada. You can still go see an 18A movie in the theaters if you’re underage, so long as the person you’re with is over 18. R is like an NC-17, can’t get in if you’re under 18 regardless of whether or not you’re with an adult.

Every film has to have a rating in Canada too I believe, but the R rating is basically anything that goes beyond 18A.

~Matt

13. sinister

sinister Active Member

In the UK they can show un-rated movies (without a BBFC certificate) in a private cinema, but with home video they claim the risk of the movie being seen by kids means that an official certificate is compulsory. And the reason things have become more liberal here over the last 18 years is that we adopted the European convention on human rights into UK law in October 2000 and the clause it contains regarding freedom of expression is quite restrictive on what's allowed to be censored, so rather than face a series of embarrassing court defeats the BBFC quietly started passing stuff un-cut that was previously heavily cut. If it wasn't for that we'd likely still have the most heavily censored movies in the western world, as was the case prior to 2000.

I tried to import an un-cut laserdisc of Evil Dead in the mid 90's and it was confiscated by UK customs as it was literally considered too dangerous to own a copy of that movie for personal viewing in your own home. After 2000 it was released un-cut and you could pick it up on DVD in any supermarket.:rolleyes:

Matt89 likes this.
  14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

That’s really interesting. It was around the early-to-mid-2000s that I remember a lot of stuff was finally being passed uncut on DVD in the UK (I remember people on this forum specifically making a big deal about it), so this all makes a lot more sense now. I just thought times had changed and the BBFC was finally becoming more lenient. Lol you learn something new every day.

And funny about Evil Dead, it’s crazy how much of a panic there was in the UK in the ‘80s and ‘90s regarding horror films. When you look at it now it was all so ridiculous. Your LD was confiscated by customs??? That’s CRAZY. That being said, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cut version of Evil Dead, it’s always been uncut over here. I have it on an old HBO Video VHS tape (with a copyright of 1987) and even that’s uncut.

~Matt

15. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

True, but when a US movie gets censored by the MPAA, you usually find that this becomes the version shown around the world, Total Recall, Cliffhanger and maximum overdrive being three that come to mind, I believe if the original uncut negative had been reviewed elsewhere (Including UK), these movies would be available uncut now, unfortunately the chances now of seeing these uncut are fairly slim.

in the 80's getting hold of uncut copies could be difficult with the internet as is, if it's cut in the UK, it's not difficult to get an uncut copy from another region.

16. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

It's also the fact that James Ferman stepped down, he was the president of the BBFC in the 80's and 90's and was the instigator of most of the extreme censorship, he was the burden on the UK for many many years.

17. zbinks

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'm both surprised and excited to see Kolobos in their line-up! That's easily their best US announcement in quite some time!

19. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I’m in for Larraz and Strip Nude. Also intrigued by the Ring, though I wish it included the Korean version as well. But admittedly, that’s nitpicking.

20. zbinks

The official announcements:

UK-only:

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/photos/a.157131957654140/2260112604022721/

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/photos/a.157131957654140/2260116490688999/

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/photos/a.157131957654140/2260118964022085

US / CAD only:

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/photos/a.157131957654140/2260122300688418

US / UK / CAD:

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/photos/a.157131957654140/2260129977354317

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/photos/a.157131957654140/2260133650687283

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/photos/a.157131957654140/2260136437353671

Workshed, Body Boy, russweiss and 4 others like this.