Arrow Video US / CA / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Speaking of spoiled... I'm getting so soft in my advancing age: I just re-watched Tobe Hooper's The Funhouse... and it was kinda good. Never thought I'd see the day. (Who am I becoming? I don't recognize this person anymore.)

Yeah. (Oh, and the answer is The Beast Within. Not a slasher, I know. But...)

2. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Stephen Thrower had this to say on Facebook:

...which is not only reassuring, but downright exciting, if you ask me! :) As for the three selections on the first set, each is distinctively eccentric, which I think sets the tone for the project nicely. They show a breadth of inventiveness. They aren't simply three low budget regional horror movies that Arrow happened to be able to secure the rights to. I enjoyed all three (Malatesta and Witch the most), though I wouldn't mind seeing some more formulaic (or accessible) movies included in future volumes. I'd be more excited to see The Child, Honeymoon Horror, or The Prey than Death Game or The Mafu Cage, but the curative importance of the project obviously trumps my enjoyment of any individual movie included.

None of the announcements did much for me, but some of the responses were downright rude. One guy commented on the lack of exploitation and slashers and concluded that Arrow had lost their way, so I had to point out that in the space of three months, we have gotten C.H.U.D., The Burning, The Hills Have Eyes, Driller Killer, the Herschell Gordon Lewis set, The Initiation, and Slugs. :cool:

3. TheWZA

TheWZA Active Member

I can relate to this sentiment as I've always felt like The Funhouse was a little off. Some of the staging is strange and I'm still not sure if I love or hate the rubber mask look of the killer. But the years seem to have sanded a lot of the rougher edges, and I now enjoy it mostly for its carnival atmosphere, alternately carefree and dangerous. The movie succeeds in establishing the location as a threat your parents would warn you about.

Natas and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

getting my copy of CHUD from grindhouse video probably end of the week

7. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Final specs for Creepshow 2!:

"***CREEPSHOW 2 FINAL SPECS***

Time to reveal the final specs for Creepshow 2! Check them our in full below and order copies via the following links...

US pre-order links
    Order the Limited Edition set (Limited to 3,000): http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/...(Blu~Ray).html
    Order the Special Edition: https://www.amazon.com/Creepshow-Spe...ds=creepshow 2

Canadian pre-order links
    Order the Limited Edition set (Limited to 1,000): https://www.amazon.ca/Creepshow-Limi...ords=creepshow
    Order the Special Edition: https://www.amazon.ca/Creepshow-2-Bl...ords=creepshow

-----------------------------------------------------

WHEN THE CURTAIN GOES UP THE TERROR BEGINS

Horror titans George A. Romero and Stephen King deliver yet another fiendish selection of blood-curdling tales in Creepshow 2 – now newly remastered in 2K!

In “Old Chief Wood'nhead”, a group of young hoodlums face retribution from an unlikely source after looting a local hardware store. Meanwhile, “The Raft” sees a group of horny teens wishing they’d read the warning signs first before taking a dip in a remote lake. Finally, an uptight businesswoman finds herself with some unwanted company following a hit-and-run incident in “The Hitch-hiker”.

Whilst retaining the EC comic book flavour that made the original such a hit, Creepshow 2, this time directed by long-time Romero collaborator Michael Gornick, is a decidedly darker and grimmer affair than its predecessor and remains one of the greatest horror anthologies of all time.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
    • Brand new 2K restoration from original film elements
    • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
    • Original Uncompressed PCM Mono 1.0, Stereo and 5.1 DTS-HD MA Surround Audio Options
    • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • Creepshow 2: Pinfall – Limited Edition Booklet featuring the never-before-seen comic adaptation of the unfilmed Creepshow 2 segment “Pinfall” by artist Jason Mayoh
    • Audio Commentary with director Michael Gornick
    • Poncho’s Last Ride – a brand new interview with actor Daniel Beer
    • The Road to Dover – a brand new interview with actor Tom Wright
    • Screenplay for a Sequel – an interview with screenwriter George A. Romero
    • Tales from the Creep – an interview with actor and make-up artist Tom Savini
    • Nightmares in Foam Rubber – archive featurette on the special effects of Creepshow 2, including interviews with FX artists Howard Berger and Greg Nicotero
    • My Friend Rick – Berger on his special effects mentor Rick Baker
    • Behind-the-Scenes Footage
    • Image Gallery
    • Trailers & TV Spots
    • Original Screenplay (BD-ROM Content)
    • Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by festival programmer Michael Blyth
    • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Mike Saputo

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
    • Brand new 2K restoration from original film elements
    • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
    • Original Uncompressed PCM Mono 1.0, Stereo and 5.1 DTS-HD MA Surround Audio Options
    • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • Audio Commentary with director Michael Gornick
    • Poncho’s Last Ride – a brand new interview with actor Daniel Beer
    • The Road to Dover – a brand new interview with actor Tom Wright
    • Screenplay for a Sequel – an interview with screenwriter George A. Romero
    • Tales from the Creep – an interview with actor and make-up artist Tom Savini
    • Nightmares in Foam Rubber – archive featurette on the special effects of Creepshow 2, including interviews with FX artists Howard Berger and Greg Nicotero
    • My Friend Rick – Berger on his special effects mentor Rick Baker
    • Behind-the-Scenes Footage
    • Image Gallery
    • Trailers & TV Spots
    • Original Screenplay (BD-ROM Content)
    • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Mike Saputo"

8. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Now amazon is selling the initiation for $22.19,

9. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Glad to see the updated Creepshow 2 specs. It now includes all of the special features from the Divimax DVD and the U.K. Blu from 88 Films.

10. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Plus a 5.1 remix like the Image disc (guess we can throw that out officially now!).

11. DVD-fanatic-9

Again, things like this make me wish most interviews were put together into one doc, one main featurette. I know I'm not buying this. I know I shouldn't say anything... but separate interviews are literally the reason I almost never watch bonus features anymore. So...

12. RJ Fielder

RJ Fielder Member

A heads up regarding C.H.U.D. Received this a few days ago and discovered Arrow's Theatrical cut is missing almost all of the "humorous" voice overs which were a part of this version. It seems their theatrical cut was actually reconstructed using the better PQ of the longer "Integral" cut, unfortunately also using that version's audio (which doesn't have the extra dialogue).

Ironically, these voice overs are talked about and given their own paragraph in the included booklet! Disappointing...

fceurich39 likes this.
  13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

So you have a long attention span, and not a short one? I don't understand... Even is something is related with an overarching theme (ie. Creepshow 2), not every interview is going to cohesively work together with other interviews if you combined them. And it also takes a lot longer to produce a long-form doc then separate interviews from a production standpoint. Even if you said they should just slap them all together one after another in a single video that would just point to laziness on your part for not being willing to pick up your remote and press a button after it automatically routes to the next special feature/interview option on your DVD menu.

Natas likes this.
  14. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I prefer the shorter ones. I like to be able to "snack" on extras rather than being forced to eat a full meal.

15. fceurich39

oh well just happy to have the integral cut on blu-ray

16. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

CHUD was kind of a staple for me growing up--VHS and TV airings--but I don't remember any voice-overs. I haven't seen it in well over a decade, so my memory is not exactly crystal clear.

17. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I don't remember the voice overs either...

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

19. fceurich39

20. DVD-fanatic-9

Hey, New Line did that with the Nightmare on Elm Street Platinum Series boxset. Which grouped interviews by subject. Why? Because they knew typically Wes Craven and Robert Englund were more interesting people to listen to for minutes at a time than a lot of the cast members.

It's not the size of the interviews that I object to. It's the content. It's the value of having to listen to everyone solo... There are a boatload of people who are not good interview subjects. That is- as long-playing interviews. And, thanks to this format, you get them in every package. See what I'm saying? And it's not even just: either interesting or boring. There's a rainbow of interesting, boring, interesting one minute, etc. A lot of these solo interviews are repetitious. Etc. I can't tell you how many times I've run into an interview where one of the participants won't stop saying "like" or similar words or they just don't have anything to say. Or maybe every person is being asked one or 2 similar questions and I'd rather see those questions answered together because that's a topic I really find interesting. Like: when casts and crew discuss their experiences with the film coming out in theaters. Etc. I hate clicking on multiple interviews and sitting through a ton of fat to get to that topic specifically.

Docs are better at combining topics. See, again, what I mean?