Arrow Video US / CA / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Jumped on the Django LE in case the rights kerfuffle leads to it being a higher priority for people and a fast sell out.

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Amazon Prime has Hagazussa available to stream in a nice quality print. The film is light on dialog and heavy on atmosphere. Unfortunately I found it slow and tedious. At least it saved me buying the Arrow blu-ray.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It's on Shudder too. And like you, I saved myself some cash by watching it first.

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I guess I wasn’t paying attention, but what’s up with the the Beyond the Door Blu? Seems like it came and went a little quickly.

5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

It seems to have sold out and is already selling for much higher prices on Ebay. Kind of surprised as this didn't seem like a popular title and it had already been released on blu-ray previously.

Zombie Dude and Mutilated Prey like this.
  6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's sorta been in and out of print since even before its release day. It keeps showing back in stock at stores, so it could again. I think it's mostly just one of those weird Arrow stocking titles...it's happened before.

Of course I could be wrong and it is indeed OOP on this side of the ocean... but people were panicking even before the release date. Then it showed up again healthily in stock at various places, etc.

Arrow's UK edition of the title, which is basically identical except for the ratings logo and UPC is still readily in stock at Amazon UK and Base.com.

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  7. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I actually own the old Code Red DVD. and watched it for the first time recently. Enjoyed it enough where I’d certainly upgrade to the Blu, and to my surprise out of stock everywhere and 100% markup on eBay. I agree @Katatonia that’ll be back in stock soon enough.

Any major quality differences between the Code Red Code and Arrow Blu’s?

Katatonia likes this.
  8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I revisited this as well recently. I really didn't remember it at all. I enjoyed it for the most part but I felt it sort of looses steam towards the latter half. Although I think I got the most enjoyment out of the kids dialogue lol. Anyway, I was happy I skipped buying the new edition. This isn't something I'd watch again besides some clips I think.

Mutilated Prey and Katatonia like this.
  9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Arrow transfer and encode look a lot better, and it includes the US theatrical cut of the film as a bonus. The Arrow release also includes the full-length "Italy Possessed" documentary on Exorcist ripoffs along with the other new extras.

The movie itself though isn't that grand, but if you had to pick between the two versions the Arrow release clearly wins in all areas. I definitely wouldn't pay any Ebay prices on it though...

Mutilated Prey and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

"Beyond the Door" blu is also still available on Amazon.ca... although the price has gone up...

11. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

Thanks for the heads up on "Hagazussa." I think I enjoyed it more knowing what I was getting into, so the slow burn and ambiguity didn't bother me as much.

Katatonia likes this.
  12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I received the Canadian exclusive of The Woman + Offspring today. Haven't had a chance to open it yet, but it's a single case with a slipcover.

IMG_20200520_150207.jpg
    IMG_20200520_150218.jpg

m@ggot and fceurich39 like this.
  13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

14. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

15. fattyjoe37

Extras for the Gamera set from Arrow's site are up. Long story short: all previous supplements carried over, dubs & subs on all 12 films, and several alternate cuts. Blows the Criterion Godzilla set out of the water, shame it also has big unwieldy packaging though.

GAMERA: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION
    COLLECTOR’S EDITION BOXSET CONTENTS

Limited collectors’ edition packaging, housed in a large-format rigid box, fully illustrated by Matt Frank
    Casebound, fully-illustrated disc book containing eight Blu-ray discs
    High Definition (1080p) versions of all twelve films, with lossless original Japanese audio and a complete collection of English dub tracks, including classic American International dubs on the Showa-era films remastered from original MGM elements
    Hardback 130-page comic book including a full-colour reprint of the four-issue Gamera comic series originally released by Dark Horse Comics in 1996, and the first-ever English-language printing of the prequel comic The Last Hope by Matt Frank and Joshua Bugosh
    Perfect-bound 80-page book including a new retrospective on the series by Patrick Macias, an archive interview with Noriaki Yuasa by David Milner, kaiju X-ray illustrations by Jolyon Yates, Fangoria set reports on the Heisei trilogy by Norman England, and a viewers’ guide to the English-dubbed versions of the films
    Double-sided four-panel poster of “Gamera’s Map of Japan” in both Japanese and English
    Collectors’ artcards for each film, featuring new artwork by Matt Frank

DISC ONE – GAMERA THE GIANT MONSTER

High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gamera the Giant Monster, with lossless original Japanese and dubbed English mono audio, and optional English subtitles
    Commentary and newly filmed introduction by August Ragone
    High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gammera the Invincible (Blu-ray premiere), the American theatrical version of the film, with lossless mono audio and optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
    Remembering the Gamera Series, an archive featurette from 1991, including interviews with director Noriaki Yuasa, writer Nisan Takahashi and others
    Interview with Noriaki Yuasa, filmed by Jörg Buttgereit in 2002
    Gamera Special, an hour-long best-of compilation supervised by Noriaki Yuasa in 1991
    Alternate English credits
    Trailer and image galleries

DISC TWO – GAMERA VS. BARUGON / GAMERA VS. GYAOS

High Definition (1080p) transfers of Gamera vs. Barugon and Gamera vs. Gyaos, with lossless original Japanese and dubbed English mono audio, and optional English subtitles
    Commentary on Gamera vs. Barugon by August Ragone & Jason Varney
    Commentary on Gamera vs. Gyaos by Stuart Galbraith IV
    Newly filmed introductions to both films by August Ragone
    High Definition (1080p) transfer of War of the Monsters, the shorter American edit of Gamera vs. Barugon, with lossless English audio
    Alternate English credits for both films

DISC THREE – GAMERA VS. VIRAS / GAMERA VS. GUIRON

High Definition (1080p) transfers of Gamera vs. Viras and Gamera vs. Guiron, with lossless original Japanese and dubbed English mono audio, and optional English subtitles
    Choice of three different versions of Gamera vs. Viras via seamless branching (72-minute Theatrical Version, 81-minute Director’s Version and 90-minute US Extended Version)
    Commentary on Gamera vs. Viras by Carl Craig and Jim Cironella
    Commentary on Gamera vs. Guiron by David Kalat
    Newly filmed introductions to both films by August Ragone
    New featurette with actor Carl Craig showing his souvenirs and props from Gamera vs. Viras
    Highlights from the G-FEST X convention in 2003, featuring Noriaki Yuasa and Carl Craig
    The 4th Nippon Jamboree, a promotional film for the Boy Scouts of Japan directed by Yuasa in 1966
    Alternate English credits for both films

DISC FOUR – GAMERA VS. JIGER / GAMERA VS. ZIGRA / GAMERA SUPER MONSTER

High Definition (1080p) transfers of Gamera vs. Jiger, Gamera vs. Zigra and Gamera Super Monster, with lossless original Japanese and dubbed English mono audio, and optional English subtitles
    Commentary on Gamera vs. Jiger by Edward L. Holland
    Commentary by Gamera vs. Zigra by Sean Rhoads & Brooke McCorkle
    Commentary on Gamera Super Monster by Richard Pusateri
    Newly filmed introductions to all three films by August Ragone
    Alternate English credits for all three films

DISC FIVE – GAMERA THE GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE

High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gamera the Guardian of the Universe, from a 4K restoration by Kadokawa Pictures
    Original Japanese and dubbed English DTS-HD MA 5.1 and 2.0 audio, with optional English subtitles
    Commentary by Matt Frank
    Newly filmed introduction by August Ragone
    A Testimony of 15 Years: Part 1, the first in an epic three-part documentary interviewing cast and crew of the Heisei Trilogy
    Interviews with director Shusuke Kaneko and SFX director Shinji Higuchi, filmed by Jörg Buttgereit in 2002
    Extended 90-min interview with Shinji Higuchi from 2001, focusing on the trilogy’s special effects
    Behind the scenes featurettes tracing the film’s production from announcement to release

DISC SIX – GAMERA 2: ATTACK OF LEGION

High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gamera 2: Attack of Legion, from a 4K restoration by Kadokawa Pictures
    Original Japanese and dubbed English DTS-HD MA 5.1 and 2.0 audio, with optional English subtitles
    Commentary by Kyle Yount
    A Testimony of 15 Years: Part 2, the next part of the documentary interviewing cast and crew of the Heisei Trilogy
    On-set footage from the shooting of the film’s main unit and special effects filming
    Behind the scenes featurettes tracing the film’s production from announcement to release
    “Lake Texarkana” comedic dub track

DISC SEVEN – GAMERA 3: REVENGE OF IRIS

High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris, from a 4K restoration by Kadokawa Pictures
    Commentary by Steve Ryfle & Ed Godziszewski
    A Testimony of 15 Years: Part 3, the final part of the documentary interviewing cast and crew of the Heisei Trilogy
    Newly filmed interview with Kaho Tsutsumi about the DNA Tokasatsu exhibition in Tokyo, by kaiju historian Edward L. Holland
    Deleted Scenes
    The Awakening of Irys (Remix), a montage of behind-the-scenes footage and work-in-progress special effects footage
    Spoof commentary by “Gamera” & “Soldier No.6”

DISC EIGHT – GAMERA THE BRAVE

High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gamera the Brave
    Commentary by Keith Aiken & Bob Johnson
    How to Make a Gamera Movie, a featurette hosted by director Ryuta Tasaki
    Behind The Scenes of Gamera the Brave, an all-access on-set documentary
    The Men That Made Gamera, a documentary looking back at the series from start to finish, featuring interviews with cast and crew
    Opening Day Premiere, a featurette showing the cast and crew presenting the film at its first showing
    Kaho’s Summer, an interview with the film’s young star
    Special Effects Supercut, a montage of effects shots overseen by FX supervisor Hajime Matsumoto

Nailwraps, wago70 and russweiss like this.
  16. fattyjoe37

Actually a note on those Gamera features: I'm not 100% positive all the Mill Creek Blu-ray bonus features are carried over (they could've been renamed), but all U.S. DVD features from Shout, ADV, and Tokyo Shock are.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  17. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Happy to see them diving into 4K.

Just need some catalogue titles in 4K.

Nailwraps, Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/posts/3307471575953480

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

It's great to see Arrow are now doing 4k releases. Shame it has to be Pitch Black. I hate that movie lol.
    Flash is ok and I'd be curious to revisit it but it's nothing I'm over excited about. I've been hoping we could get a 4k release of Return Of The Living Dead from someone soon.

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping Shout Factory goes UHD with their Scream Factory line. I mean it's only a matter of time considering they put out The Deer Hunter. I'm just thinking some of their more recent 4K stuff like Carrie, Creepshow, Halloween II/III, The Thing, etc. Those ones I think have the best chance at getting a UHD release when it comes to Shout. They all recently got 4K remasters and they're very popular titles.

Surprised that Arrow's first horror UHD is Pitch Black, but whatever. At least they've finally gone UHD, and I'm glad I no longer have to import the StudioCanal 4K edition of Flash Gordon.

~Matt