Argento's 'Opera' in HD?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Paul_s, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I know we're talking Opera, but the issues on The Psychic are only in the Italian track? I haven't bought that title yet, but I loved the movie and the DVD's audio was horrendous. If it's only the Italian that is FUBAR'd, I'd probably still get it as I usually go with the English track for Italian movies, since they're all dubbed in post for any language.

2. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

Yep, The Psychic issues are only on the Italian track for about a half hour where it goes out of sync, but the English is great.

3. sinister

sinister Active Member

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I was very curious about the claims of dubtitles. The box explicitly states "Subtitles Translated From The Italian Track." So I payed closer attention to this when I finally watched my disk. (While slowly caressing my limited edition magnet between my finger and thumb... :p ) There are two English subtitle tracks. One is identified in the menu as "Subtitles for Italian." When selecting that option it goes to English 1.

While I was watching the Italian track whenever I saw odd word choices I'd rewind and flip back and forth between the two English subtitles. I did not find any differences between English 1 and English 2 with unique word choices like "cancel." This is usually how you can find discrepancies. There are some difference between English 1 and English 2 but they are very minor. At times English 1 subtitles deviates from what is said word for word compared to the English soundtrack. While English 2 subtitles will match the English soundtrack exactly. So perhaps the dub itself is relatively faithful to the original Italian. But...

What's interesting though is that there are times when characters are speaking in the English track but NOT the Italian track and these moments have text on both the English 1 and English 2 subtitles. I didn't make an exhaustive list but at 00:37:37 the subtitles have Betty saying "-Ah." which is very pronounced on the English soundtrack but not present on the Italian soundtrack. At 1:26:12 when the raven is circling the audience there are moments when in the English soundtrack you can tell what is being said in the audience. This is captured in text on both English 1 and English 2 identically. On the Italian soundtrack the crowd's noises are less distinguished; I doubt a translator could pick anything out. Additionally at 1:33:36 when the killer first has Betty aiming the gun in the Italian soundtrack the killer does not speak until you finally see his mouth in a low medium/wide shot (1:33:44). On the English soundtrack he is speaking off camera during the close up of the gun and as the camera pans out.

Finally when the Narrator speaks at 1:22:58 and 1:43:32 on the Italian track the wording in English 1 and English 2 is all in first person. This narrative is delivered by a male voice. Dario Argento's in fact. So he'd be aware of how this plays. It should be in third person. On the English soundtrack this is Betty's internal dialog using the actress's voice. It is in first person. :rolleyes:

I wanted to believe that with English 1 it may be the translator used the dub track's subtitles as a guide and when they felt the Italian was different enough made some changes. The left over words from the English track could be excused as someone inexperienced not wanting to remove extra information; this amateur effort is re-enforced by the spelling mistakes, punctuation errors and missed capital letters of English 1 (I did not notice any on English 2). But the Narration could be the most damning piece of evidence as the pronouns are clearly wrong as coming from a male speaker. It's just too glaring for doubt even if we grant that that someone translating Italian to English had pronoun problems of their own. (Word gender maybe. Pronouns? Not likely.) I would like to know if anyone who speaks Italian can confirm that this Narration is in fact first or third person.

One last thing I noticed is that in the scene where the gloved killer takes the knife to the TV when he first opens the box and the camera pans over the knife the tip of the blade is cropped at the top right (00:24:23). In a second close up it's more in frame but still tight (00:24:31). This framing seems unlikely to me; the tip of the blade should comfortably be in frame. Combine that with the fact that Betty's panties are flashed at the bottom of the frame in the sex scene (00:28:27) and we can confirm bottom left too much / top right not enough. It would seem that the 2.35:1 matting should probably be adjusted a few ticks up to remove the panties and accommodate the tip of the blade. It looked fine otherwise but these moments suggest the matting could be tweaked. I took a look at the Anchor Bay DVD (my only other reference) and the blade is well within frame and there's no panties in sight; I noticed we do get less of her backside though on the DVD.

Also also I happened to noticed on AB's DVD the brain CU's are quite pink while on Scorpion's Blu-ray they are a blue to purple hue (00:22:23). Kinda interesting as the DVD is overall less colorful compared to the Blu-ray.

russweiss likes this.