Argento's 'Opera' in HD?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Paul_s, Jun 2, 2014.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Listing Update:
    https://roninflix.com/collections/coming-soon/products/opera

I was considering just waiting it out for an eventual sale, as I suspect that this will be around for a little while, but that magnet has me thinking about pulling the trigger. Simply put reselling on eBay has been pretty successful for me when something comes with its original magnet. So even if a big/better edition comes along (UHD at the minimum) I'll probably still make money selling this off when it includes the magnet. Only question is will I be one of the first 450? If I'm not and the order goes through I'll wish I had waited.

2. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

[​IMG][​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/scorpionreleasinginfo/posts/1148757248617058

Nailwraps, f.ramses and sinister like this.
  3. sinister

sinister Active Member

It's available on the roninflix site now but still no sign of it appearing on diabolikdvd for those of us outside the US.

zbinks likes this.
  4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Ronin were about 5 minutes late in getting it up to actually order, and the magnet completely sold out within a few minutes.

I got my order in just in time apparently... and then it showed up as like "10 left in stock" and then it was "sold out" until they relisted it again without the magnet.

I'm amazed that it went quite that fast. Scalpers are a possibility, but at $50 a pop just to get the magnet? o_O

zbinks likes this.
  5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Magnet or not. $50 .... ahhh. A little rough imho.

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I don’t give a fuck about the magnet but what’s madness is the 5+ pages on blu-ray.com of everyone saying they got their fucking order in. Jesus Christ.

~Matt

wago70, Zombie Dude and zbinks like this.
  7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You should check your IQ before reading a Blu-Ray.com forum thread, and check it again after. Bet ya get a lower number the second time.

Zombie Dude, Myron Breck and Matt89 like this.
  8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah, that shits ridiculous. No one gives a fuck that you placed a bloody order. Tell me about the content when you receive it. Next it'll be pages upon pages of people writing in how long they had to wait for it :rolleyes:

9. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Ordered mine today. Been waiting a looooong time. :)

10. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I almost pulled the trigger on this last night, but decided to go to Diabolikdvd and get one of the "found" copies of Neon Maniacs instead.

11. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

Picked this up yesterday about 10 minutes after the store opened so I think I missed the magnet which is fine. It's essential Argento so it's a no brainer picking this up :D

12. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

I admit, I'm part of that nonsense. While I see nothing wrong with it in theory(it is a site built on fandom and fans get excited about their things), what tends to happen is that actual content and discussion gets buried in a wave of largely meaningless posts. If you ever want to get a live rendition of first-world problems, check a given thread right after a label has a massive sale, usually coupled with a couple of LE releases. No matter how clear the terms were prior to the sale, no matter how many times "We're a small operation processing thousands of orders" or "We have one person packing and shipping and are processing thousands of orders" gets said, within mere days, folks start posting about how their order hasn't shipped yet. Maddening. And how embarrassing if they actually pestered the label with an email. Ugh.

Katatonia, Matt89, gobad2003 and 2 others like this.
  13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

So it's been confirmed, the Italian audio on the new Scorpion is indeed mono, not stereo as it should be.

REALLY shitty of Scorpion to approach the release this way, completely ignoring customers' questions regarding the issue. Fine, they fucked up, I can accept that. However, Walt just made this whole thing 10x worse by actively ignoring customers' concerns.

It just goes to show how little he respects the customers that keep his business afloat. This was so shady how he went about this, and at this point that's worse than not including the stereo soundtrack. Expecting customers to pay $50 for this and then leaving them in the dark has seriously made me question whether they'll ever get my business again.

~Matt

Katatonia likes this.
  14. Katatonia

It is really, really lame. The entire Humongous error and silence really soured my opinion and thought it was really poor how it was handled, or not handled. If there's going to simply be the silence treatment given to this one again I'll probably cease buying Scorpion releases without seeing some reviews first to confirm the quality. I've already done that with Dark Force releases, and Scorpion might be the 2nd company I do that with. The prices are just too damn high for second rate products.

Get some serious quality control going already, ESPECIALLY WITH THE AUDIO TRACKS. This had such a long wait and high price tag...and we end up getting friggin' Mono for the Italian tracks. And they obviously knew about this before they even began selling it. The Opera Blu-ray menu has "Stereo" listed on it, and the Ronin description was changed from Stereo to Mono also. There could have been some kind of official statement to the myriad of questions that were placed about it beforehand, but there was nothing.

Matt89 likes this.
  15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I also just found out there’s a 30-min section of The Psychic where the audio is out of sync. I have it and haven’t opened it yet so I’m especially pissed knowing that yet another one of their releases has fucked up audio.

I’ve had it with them. This may actually be the last title I buy from them. And it’s not because of their screw-ups. All studios experience them every now and then. However, it’s the way they go about dealing with this and ignoring customers’ questions and concerns thinking they’ll go away.

Maybe Walt isn’t that different from his brother after all.

~Matt

Katatonia likes this.
  16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Man, I wish people cared a tenth of the uproar Opera's gotten about including the original mono and stereo tracks on other releases (and not making it a surround down mix). I'm curious what happened because it's rare that a mono track gets dusted off at all. Finding a mono track is seemingly so problematic in this century Walt probably would have been better served if he directly asked for the mono track; he'd probably be told there isn't one and get sent the stereo and we'd all be happy. o_O

It's an oversight that becomes more and more likely as a release adds more bells and whistles. And I have to agree at some point you must cut bait. With all the other money spent fixing the "wobble" and including a 1.77:1 version this seems minor. And I'm going to be listening to the Italian as my preferred audio track (and I'll check out the Cannes track for fun).

But it's nice to see that the subtitles on the Italian track are not dubtitles but is a direct translation of the Italian track. That does more for us to enjoy the Italian track than anything else.

17. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

The final specs, out days before the movie went up for sale, clearly list the Italian track as mono. The issue, as I see it, is that Walt remained silent on the clarification throughout the "is it or isn't it?" back-and-forth online.

Maybe I'm too forgiving, but I mostly don't care. But, for $50, people have the right to be irritated.

As for the overall QC at Scorpion, some kinks need to be worked out for sure.

Matt89 likes this.
  18. Katatonia

The fact that the Italian audio has always been STEREO on every other Blu-ray release is the main issue. The Scorpion release is going to be the odd one out with the Italian audio. People were hoping it was a listing error, and Scorpion even indicates "Stereo" on the actual disc set-up also.

Scorpion remained entirely silent when they obviously could have provided more information, and that is what people are most pissed about.

19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Obviously this can happen to any company. But seeing what they have been charging on these releases, it's best people just wait until several reviews come out. I understand people want to get their hand on the product, but unless it's a small limited number (like 500), just sit back and wait.

20. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

The disc error is meaningless when considering that no-one could have seen it prior to purchasing the LE, in my opinion anyway. The issue should just be Walt's radio silence on the matter; even if he was personally flabbergasted that people weren't reading the specs on Ronin and thought we were all dipshits, he could have popped in and said "Mono." and been done with it.

My set is being delivered today. Very curious to see how the picture looks.