April Fools Day (1986) blu ray Aug 28th

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by thing, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

They sometimes still do for TV airings. The Star Wars films (and similar) are often cropped to 1.78:1 when shown on the networks for instance.

Why they would do it for a legit Blu-ray is just perplexing however... especially when we know there is a good existing HD source in the correct ratio.

buck135 likes this.
  2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Interesting, here in the UK they show pretty much all movies in correct ratio, can't remember the last time wasn't.

For a blu ray there is no excuse.

buck135 likes this.
  3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

To be honest, I think the main networks here just figure most of their viewer base are idiots. 1.78:1 has really been the new "Fullscreen" on them since the conversion to HD. On the "no commercials" movie + paid channel networks, they generally always show them in the correct original ratios.

buck135 likes this.
  4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Honestly might as well own the fucking VHS.

~Matt

buck135 and Katatonia like this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well I'm just going to hang onto my DVD and wait. Trust Cinema Cult to screw up a release like this.
    Hopefully if Scream Factory is going to release this they don't actually wait until April (which they shouldn't anyway with the 1st being April Fools, you'd think they'd release it before then).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    buck135 and Katatonia like this.
  6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'm so glad I didn't order this. I wisely cancelled my preorder for The Tenant blu-ray as well.

Matt89, Zombie Dude and Katatonia like this.
  7. Jamie

Jamie Member

It's kinda cool this discussion veered to The Burning and Friday the 13. I had F13 on the brain yesterday. Part 3 is my favorite. Remember that big thread here ranking them all 2-3 years ago? That was really interesting to read peoples opinions (actual discussion about the movies themselves!).

Anyway, I really like The Burning. I'll probably watch it again in the next couple months. Im kinda suprised the canoe scene isn't getting any love here (the trimmer in the neck is pretty memorable). Bonus points for having Leah Ayers in it (BLOODSPORT!).

Matt89, buck135 and Steel76 like this.
  8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I love the canoe scene, even though it is a bit stupid. It’s so wonderfully brutal :D

9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

The Canoe scene is a fucking riot.

Steel76 likes this.
  10. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Screenshots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

baggio likes this.
  11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

The cut elements for part 6 are from a VHS workprint no?

That would....look pretty terrible spliced back into the film.

~Matt

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah they are. They don't look too great in a HD age. Would be cool to see this film get an uncut release someday though.

14. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I would assume it would resemble how Scream presented Silent Night Deadly Night. They could do it the same exact way and present both versions. Of course, this is all assuming they have the ability and desire to release the Friday the 13th films, which I'm going to say is probably unlikely.

15. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Didn't someone go through the Paramount vault looking for materials for that big Friday the 13th set a while back and came up emptyhanded? If there are workprint materials or even VHS footage out there, it would take a dedicated label AND Paramount's willingness to provide access to the materials and allow re-cuts. I don't know if Shout is dedicated enough. Their bread and butter are slipcovers. Those Nightbreed and Creepshow sets were one-offs

16. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I doubt that we will ever see part 2-8 uncut.
    Paramount probably burned all the footage. Someone would have found the footage by now, if it still was hiding in their vaults.

Lionsgate was lucky though, when they found all the uncut footage of My Bloody Valentine.

17. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I would like to say, never say never, but the chances are pretty slim at this point, I think the deleted gore footage that was presented on the special edition dvd/blu rays are the best we are ever going to get.

With regards to my bloody valentine, they didn't find all the uncut footage, there are a few bit's still missing.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I also think the footage is long gone. Paramount obviously junked the footage but are unwilling to admit to it. Like others have said, if it was in the Paramount vaults, they would've found it when they were given access when they made the deluxe edition DVDs. I mean they found other deleted scenes, alternate endings, gore outtakes, bloopers, but not the actual gore scenes that were cut from the film? That's a red flag. I'd love to see uncut versions of all the films, but at this point it's probably never going to happen.

And it wasn't so much that they found the footage for My Bloody Valentine in the Paramount vaults or anything, the producers just so happened to keep the snippets that were cut out.

~Matt

19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

The footage sourced was from the film's Producer John Dunning's storage facility in Canada. Not Paramount. And something close to 6 minutes of addition footage is completely gone. But that footage had nothing to do with gore or violence.

Back in 2009

George Mihalka

“Everyone knows how it got truncated by the MPAA” “They asked to cut even one frame. That’s 1/24th of a second. We basically spent two and a half weeks working around the clock pulling frames and fixing the mix. At the same time we had to cut the negative. Every decision had to be final. You could cut, but you couldn’t put anything back in. It was quite the challenge.” “At one point they asked us to take one more frame out and we told them there are no more frames left there! It’s just the sound that’s making you feel that way. Now [with this DVD] we have it back to 80% of the image back and 95% of the impact back.”

“There was a scene with the two kids in the mine and they’re joined together forever” “There was a whole set up scene to that. They’re just necking and Tom’s lying on top of [Harriet] and the miner comes in and puts the [drill bit] through him. She’s got her eyes closed and thinks he’s just being a little frisky. She opens her mouth and her eyes just as he bleeds into her mouth. Then the miner goes whoomp! And [skewers] them both . That scene had to be taken out totally. It has disappeared and we’ll never see it.” “We went through the vaults and found out all of that negative has corroded or disappeared.”

20. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

So chances are that April Fool's Day has suffered the same fate (junked excised footage)? I guess pretty much anything horror-related made by Paramount that was cut is lost forever. Damned shame.

Zombie Dude likes this.