April Fools Day (1986) blu ray Aug 28th

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by thing, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah The Burning is a pretty solid slasher film. I’ll always have a soft spot for Friday the 13th, though, even if I do prefer some of the sequels over part 1. And it’s mostly due to its influence.

Friday the 13th set the standard for all slasher films that came after it. Where Halloween focused more on suspense in the Hitchcock tradition, Friday the 13th created the body count slasher, and focused more on shock value and gore. Yes, many slashers have taken what Friday did and ran with it and have definitely outdone it in the shock factor (The Burning is one of those movies and it does it so well) but F13 has such fantastic atmosphere and is paced almost perfectly, I think few slashers have it down as well as that film. They’re either inconsistent or just lack the type of mood that give these slasher movies longevity. The kills are also positioned in a way that never makes the movie boring. So often slashers have long stretches where there isn’t a single kill.

The only thing that kinda ruins F13th for me is that Mrs. Voorhees isn’t a realistic killer. It also makes the movie super campy in a way that sorta taints it (the whole “kill her Mommy!” is ultra cheese). Jason in part 2 is a much more believable/menacing killer, it’s no surprise they decided to capitalize on that.

~Matt

ImmortalSlasher and Steel76 like this.
  2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Although, I will say, watching Friday the 13th with someone who hasn’t seen it before, they’re always surprised when Mrs. Voorhees ends up being the killer. That part of the movie is still quite effective. That whole scene with Alice in the cabin after Mrs Voorhees arrives, people are always like “oh FUCK that’s the killer!” People who haven’t seen the movie always think she’s gonna save her for a brief second until it becomes obvious she’s crazy.

Oh and the ending with Alice in the canoe still gets EVERYONE.

~Matt

Myron Breck, Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

If there’s one thing I’d knock The Burning for, it’s that stupid raft massacre scene. Everyone I’ve watched that movie with thinks that’s the dumbest most unrealistic scene in the entire film. It happens so quickly and some of the kills just don’t make sense. Watch it shot by shot. It’s fucking STUPID. Lol.

~Matt

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The problem I have with the climax of the movie, is that the fight between Mrs Voorhees and Alice, is so terrible, that it becomes comedy gold.
    Though the beheading is awesome. That shot, the ending jump scare, and the death of Kevin Bacon's characters are the only thing worth watching, for me.
    And damn, is it obvious, that it's not Betsy Palmer, that walks around killing them :D
    So many stupid plotholes. Even though I'm not a fan of the original, it's still a classic.

Overall, I think Part 2 is much better, with characters that are more interesting. The ones in the original is so dull and boring, I would rather kill myself, than hang around with them ;)

Matt89 and Zombie Dude like this.
  5. Steel76

Sure, it's stupid as fuck, but it's also awesome :D

Also, I love the scene, where the killer leaves the hospital and kills the hooker. It's so wonderfully sleazy and brutal, in the same style as Maniac and New York Ripper.

Sorry for going off topic guys ;)

hots4, Matt89 and Natas like this.
  6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah that scene with the hooker is actually so great.

“Are you comin’ up? CUZ I’M GOIN’ IN!”

~Matt

Steel76 likes this.
  7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

lol a friend and I came to the conclusion that Friday the 13th parts 1 and 2 are the same film. Part 2 is a little glossier as it was produced by Paramount but you basically just swap Jason for Mrs. Voorhees and you have Part 2.

Parts 2 and 4 are my favs of the series.

~Matt

Steel76 likes this.
  8. Steel76

Yeah same here :)

Matt89 likes this.
  9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

The canoe scene is awesome, I love it, it makes me smile every time I see it.

It's super nasty and super gory.

Steel76 likes this.
  10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I agree with the canoe scene in The Burning being pretty bad. It doesn't even make sense that no one would see Cropsey in there before getting right up to it.
    It's an OK film but not one I care much for.

11. Zombie Dude

Don't worry, I don't care much for The Burning either lol. There's a few things I do like in that movie but ultimately I don't find it that good.

I'd give April Fools Day another chance but if you don't like the character's then you'll have a hard time sitting through it. For me they make the movie.

12. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I agree they should see him before hand, but sometimes you have to dispel logic and just enjoy.

How do you feel about the crossing sequence then in April fools day? I find this more preposterous, you would need a large amount of time, supplies and a mirror to fit the eye makeup so expertly, it would be impossible in the time given in the movie.

13. Zombie Dude

I agree that the gag they pull is equally as silly but I guess because it is so elaborate it makes it easier to accept. In The Burning, the fact that none of the people on the raft can see into that shallow canoe a few metres away just takes me out of the scene immediately.

14. thing

thing Well-Known Member

The opening credits are in 2:39. And then the rest of the movie is cropped to 1:78
    other than that bad news apparently it looks pretty good despite having some speckles

15. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

That's it. Youtube actually has it for free so I might check it out for the third time in October.

That final fight in Part 1 is funny. I love it. How Mrs Voorhees starts slapping her around and that pan hit. People knock Part 2 for having that fight sequence as a flashback at the beginning. But that's a bonus to me as I don't really like Part 1 aside from that fight. And that axe kill in the bathroom.

Part 2 and 6 are my favorites. I know I listed them around here. Then it is Part 8. But Jason X and Freddy vs Jason managed to get in my top list. And even Part 7 more recently.

I actually like The Prowler better than both of those. The Prowler has its faults. But I like the lead actress. And the kills go a few seconds more than the average horror movie to make it really disturbing.

Steel76 likes this.
  16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Wait wait wait wait....the film is cropped to 1.78:1? Are you fucking joking? Please tell me you’re kidding. Jesus, what a massive fuck up. How can you screw that up, it’s not like the movie was shot in Super 35 so there’d be an open matte version, the film was shot anamorphically in Panavision.

Ugh, what a fucking waste of time. I mean why even bother releasing this if it’s in the completely wrong ratio. Fuck.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'll definitely pass and wait for the SF Blu-ray then. That just makes little sense, even the HDRip I have is 2.35:1 ratio throughout the full movie.

Zombie Dude, Steel76 and Matt89 like this.
  18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah same. It’s a 720p rip but at least it’s in the correct ratio unlike this garbage release.

~Matt

Steel76 and Katatonia like this.
  19. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Yeah it’s looking like a pass from me

20. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Thats pretty shit though, who crops films now adays?