Anyone watch Svengoolie on Saturday nights?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by booper71, Apr 25, 2013.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

December
    12/05 The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
    12/12 The Return of the Vampire (1943)
    12/19 The Invisible Woman (1940)
    12/26 Valley of the Dragons (1961)

No Santa Claus Conquers the Martians this year, but all I want for Christmas is Joan Staley!
    [​IMG]

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Aw man, I got this backwards. I thought Revenge of Frankenstein (a decent Hammer outing) was THIS week.

Oh well, I do like the Svengoolie/Fright Night thing he's doing.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Bummer you missed out on Frank.

Return of the Vampire is pretty good too and rarely screened. I'm flipping between it and Columbo presently.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Svengoolie promised some movies he's never shown before during Valley of the Dragons so that'll be a treat. 2021 is shaping up to be better already!

January 2021
    1/02 The Leech Woman (1960)
    1/09 The Beast with Five Fingers (1946)
    1/16 Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
    1/23 Man Made Monster (1941)
    1/30 Earth vs the Spider (1958)

I haven't seen The Beast with Five Fingers so I'll be looking forward to that one. That and Earth vs the Spider are new for Sven I believe so we're already getting some fresh stuff from Sven for January.

5. Do you see

Do you see Member

Watching The Leech Woman right now!

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

February 2021
    2/06 The Black Scorpion (1957)
    2/13 The Invisible Man (1933)
    2/20 The Invisible Man Returns (1940)
    2/27 Devil Doll (1964)

Some good stuff there, three of which I've watched on my own volition over the past few months! Well, except Devil Doll that is. Which is surprisingly bleak. It's also an interesting pickup for Sven as it's independently owned.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Really dug Devil Doll, and like you mentioned, very bleak for a Svengoolie outing. It's no surprise he made multiple warnings throughout the broadcast that it might not be suitable for all viewers. If I was a kid, that probably would have scared the crap out of me.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah I've watched Devil Doll a dozen or so times through MST3k and I've even got an uncut DVD so I've seen that a few times too. It's probably the most cynical anthropomorphic puppet/toy film ever devised. It's the British saying, as only they can, "well we can't show blood and gore so we're going to make you realized the horror of your futile existence instead." Officially there's not much a censor can complain about but... I'm still kinda surprised Sven showed it because, as you said with his warnings, it's not really family friendly. Which he's more or less become since switching to classical fair on MeTV.

March
    3/06 The Thing That Couldn't Die (1958)
    3/13 Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)
    3/20 The Shadow of the Cat (1961)
    3/27 The Beast Must Die (1974)

Wow, quite the line up of fun movies. They're all guilty pleasures of mine on some level although Wax Museum is pretty well regarded. That'll certainly be the WB restoration as that's been out in the wild for long enough now WB has no reason to keep it off broadcasts.

I get a real kick outta Thing That Couldn't Die. It's another MST3k film that's a hoot but the film itself has an oddly satisfying build I'll still watch on TCM or whenever (I think Sven's shown it before too). The finale is lol deus ex machina but that only adds to its charm. Another rather cynical film.

In fact they all are to some extent. Maybe Sven's been in isolation too long and someone should do a mental welfare check on him!

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I actually didn't know MST3K did Devil Doll! But looking through the episode guide, I see it was a SciFi Channel episode, with Bill Corbett as Crow and no Trace Beaulieu or Frank Conniff, so I wasn't as regular a viewer at that point.