Anyone watch Svengoolie on Saturday nights?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by booper71, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Oh yeah, if I had kids and I wanted to introduce them to classic horror, this would certainly be the way to do it. The "intrusions" would be perfect for the noted short attention spans of young children, and maybe tone down the scare factor (I remember as a kid, watching the 4:30 Movie, The Blob (original), and not wanting to admit that I was scared shitless, even with all the commercial breaks)

That said, I DON'T have kids, and the break ups of the movies' momentum is a little jarring for me. Especially since I have dozens of movie channels and hundreds of Blu-Rays at the ready. As for comparing him to other horror hosts, the only other one I watch is Joe Bob Briggs on The Last Drive-In. And yes, he's intrusive too. It's fine on movies I'm familiar with, but I've watched a few Last Drive-In movies that I had never seen before, and the constant interruptions really disturbed the flow of the movie.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I can really get that, and I've seen the majority of these movies many times so it's not big deal. I'm watching a horror host to see a horror host. So they should interject themselves when practical and make the most out of it. Most of the time it's not THAT funny but I'll get a good laugh occasionally and the clever way Sven cuts himself into scenes most times is reason enough anticipate seeing it. I even get a little miffed when I miss these transitions when I step out for a moment. I've considered mounting a TV in my bathroom so I don't miss them. :D

As I recall you're an MST3k fan, do you find the skits intrusive? If you do there's a guy who edits out the skits, uses HD footage of the movie and even returns the movie to the full cut and just lets those times run without riffing. Eegah is one of the latest:

Obviously I can't recommend because I'm too busy being a crazy person that not only watches the skits but I've gotten into broadcast tapes that even include commercials BUT it's become popular.

Also, also, as someone who doesn't watch much Sven but likes MST3k you may enjoy the Sven-surround segments where he adds sounds and dubbing to comedic effect: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEHffl_ip2zh3Pgj8MFCU9wbHEOQMINNy (Note: this is not a standard thing he does. When a movie is short he will replay scenes at the end of the show in this way OR he has also done a few Flash Gordon/Commander Cody serials too that he'll put at the end.)

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, the obvious difference is that MST3K movies are BAD, and often only watchable with the riffing. I know some people were excited about a Manos The Hands of Fate Blu-Ray, but I contend there's NO WAY that movie would enjoy any popularity were it not for the classic MST episode.

Svengoolie does show some good-to-excellent movies (the one I recently watched, Horror of Dracula, is a downright horror CLASSIC). I'll have to watch more, if I can remind myself that he's on. I missed last week's The Bloodening because I was watching An American Crime over on HDNET.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Full schedule:

April
    4/04 The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
    4/11 This Island Earth (1955)
    4/18 Dracula's Daughter (1936)
    4/25 Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958)

The mailbag for Mummy's Tomb was just old Kerwyn footage looped with Rich Koz doing a voice over and confirmed they will not be doing new episodes or current mailbags for the foreseeable future.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

May
    5/02 Frankenstein (1931)
    5/09 Munster, Go Home! (1966)
    5/16 The Deadly Mantis (1957)
    5/23 Gargoyles (1972)
    5/30 Dinosaurus! (1960)

Wow TWO movies with exclamation marks in the titles! That's a Hell of a month!