Anyone watch Svengoolie on Saturday nights?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by booper71, Apr 25, 2013.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I can really get that, and I've seen the majority of these movies many times so it's not big deal. I'm watching a horror host to see a horror host. So they should interject themselves when practical and make the most out of it. Most of the time it's not THAT funny but I'll get a good laugh occasionally and the clever way Sven cuts himself into scenes most times is reason enough anticipate seeing it. I even get a little miffed when I miss these transitions when I step out for a moment. I've considered mounting a TV in my bathroom so I don't miss them. :D

As I recall you're an MST3k fan, do you find the skits intrusive? If you do there's a guy who edits out the skits, uses HD footage of the movie and even returns the movie to the full cut and just lets those times run without riffing. Eegah is one of the latest:

Obviously I can't recommend because I'm too busy being a crazy person that not only watches the skits but I've gotten into broadcast tapes that even include commercials BUT it's become popular.

Also, also, as someone who doesn't watch much Sven but likes MST3k you may enjoy the Sven-surround segments where he adds sounds and dubbing to comedic effect: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEHffl_ip2zh3Pgj8MFCU9wbHEOQMINNy (Note: this is not a standard thing he does. When a movie is short he will replay scenes at the end of the show in this way OR he has also done a few Flash Gordon/Commander Cody serials too that he'll put at the end.)

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, the obvious difference is that MST3K movies are BAD, and often only watchable with the riffing. I know some people were excited about a Manos The Hands of Fate Blu-Ray, but I contend there's NO WAY that movie would enjoy any popularity were it not for the classic MST episode.

Svengoolie does show some good-to-excellent movies (the one I recently watched, Horror of Dracula, is a downright horror CLASSIC). I'll have to watch more, if I can remind myself that he's on. I missed last week's The Bloodening because I was watching An American Crime over on HDNET.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Full schedule:

April
    4/04 The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
    4/11 This Island Earth (1955)
    4/18 Dracula's Daughter (1936)
    4/25 Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958)

The mailbag for Mummy's Tomb was just old Kerwyn footage looped with Rich Koz doing a voice over and confirmed they will not be doing new episodes or current mailbags for the foreseeable future.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

May
    5/02 Frankenstein (1931)
    5/09 Munster, Go Home! (1966)
    5/16 The Deadly Mantis (1957)
    5/23 Gargoyles (1972)
    5/30 Dinosaurus! (1960)

Wow TWO movies with exclamation marks in the titles! That's a Hell of a month!

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

June
    6/06 Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
    6/13 The Curse of the Werewolf (1961)
    6/20 The Man with Nine Lives (1940)
    6/27 The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958)

Love Karloff but haven't seen Man with Nine Lives in years and have a soft sport for 7th Voyage of Sinbad so this is a great slate. I'm not crazy about Curse of the Werewolf but it's hard to quantify my dislike for it.

And if a movie due for a HD upgrade pops up on Sven, like Man with Nine Lives here does, that pretty much guarantees a Blu-ray in our future so that's good news too.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'll have to make a note to catch The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, my favorite Harryhausen/Sinbad movie. Yes, better than Jason and the Argonauts, and even Golden Voyage (with Caroline Munro, whose appearance immediately rates a movie with 2 stars before the credits are even over)

X-human likes this.
  7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

July
    7/04 Billy the Kid Versus Dracula (1966)
    7/11 The Brides of Dracula (1960)
    7/18 The Wolf Man (1941)
    7/25 The Land Unknown (1957)

Last couple of episodes had Sven working from home with a green screened background that was a mock up of the Batcave. These episodes all appear to be re-runs so I don't anticipate any new footage besides the mailbag.

Brides of Dracula is an absolute favorite of mind and the rest of the month is pretty fun too. Even Billy the Kid Versus Dracula is entertaining in my book. Wolf Man was last shown in December so that's pretty recent. It feels like they play Wolf Man at least once a year. Probably very popular.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I watched part of Curse of the Werewolf and rather enjoyed it, and all of Sinbad. I didn't realize they added a few "riffs" to the movie itself. So when the Genie in Sinbad does the cartwheel down the beach and the "woob woob woob woob" sound is played, my first thought was "So THAT'S where Futurama got that from!". After some more overdubs though, I realized it was the other way around.

Still, it's an enjoyable way to watch a movie. I'll try to catch any of July's entries if I'm home, but I'll definitely watch Brides of Dracula. I like that movie a lot too, and I always make fun of the title as their are neither brides nor Dracula in it.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

...Paff did you not have a childhood?

There's a two hour block of Three Stooges before Svengoolie. Educate yourself. o_O

TCM showed a bunch of Harryhausen for his 100th birthday Sunday including 7th Voyage of Sinbad so I watched it twice in one week. I'll have to go back and revisit them but I recall Golden Voyage as my favorite.

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I never got into the Three Stooges, man

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Brides of Dracula was a little bit of a disappointment. The one segment I really like is where he talks about the cast, and for Brides (one of my top 5 favorite Hammer films) he only mentioned Peter Cushing and David Peale.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah that was a pretty paltry look at the cast. Usually he does much better. This film is a bit of a show piece for Freda Jackson and she's in Hammer's The Shadow of the Cat, a couple of Harryhausen movies and some more horror so I don't know why he doesn't go more into her repertoire at the very least. It's a very Dwight Frye-esque performance and one of the many reasons why this is my favorite Hammer vampire film; yes even better than Horror of Dracula. Her graveside performance encouraging the newly minted vamp to find her way out of her grave is one of my favorite horror moments.

I do enjoy the rapid re-cap he does before the first break and I think I missed it but he does a good dig on how stupid Marianne is that I always laugh at, "He killed his mother and tried to kill me!!! We're to be married this June; isn't that wonderful?!?"

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, I was expecting more on Yvonne Monlaur. I've only seen her in Brides and Circus of Horrors. Damn she was gorgeous in her day.

I did like where Van Helsing entered the junk-filled room and Svengoolie played the Sanford and Son theme. THAT is something from my childhood...

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Better late than never:
    August
    8/01 Werewolf of London (1935)
    8/08 Creature with the Atom Brain (1955)
    8/15 Night Monster (1942)
    8/22 The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
    8/29 The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1964)

The Curse of Frankenstein was originally scheduled for March but was rescheduled. Good chance it'll be WB's new remastering! I doubt after March they'd mistakenly schedule it again so it's hopefully the real deal. I just hope they don't short change us with an old transfer. If it's the new master then I'm sure we'll see Curse of Frankenstein from WB this fall/winter.

And not to get lost in the shuffle; Creature with the Atomic Brain is a lot of fun. Hopefully we'll get Zombies of Mora Tau soon after; another fun one.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Unfortunately Frankenstein did not appear to be from a restored transfer.

September
    9/05 The Blob (1958)
    9/12 Night of the Lepus (1972)
    9/19 Dr. Cyclops (1940)
    9/26 Son of Dracula (1943)

Wow, Night of the Lepus... I might use my Rifftrax app during that one.

16. Christy

Christy Member

Is me-tv the only place to catch
    Svengoolie?

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I totally forgot about Frankenstein that day, and missed about the first 90 minutes of it. Would have liked to seen more of it, but to be honest, I think it's among the lesser of the Hammer Frankenstein series. It starts out great but slows to a glacial pace for most of its running time.

I saw a lot of The Blob on Saturday, but I was flipping back-and-forth between that and TCM's airing of The Kids are Alright. Which is stupid because I own Kids on DVD and could watch it anytime I want. But some of the performances in that movie (specifically A Quick One While He's Away) just keep you glued to the screen no matter how many times you've seen it before.

I think I want to get the Criterion Blob though. I forgot how good a film it really is.

loutoad23 likes this.
  18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys