Anyone watch Svengoolie on Saturday nights?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by booper71, Apr 25, 2013.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

July
    7/06 Mr. Sardonicus (1961)
    7/13 The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1964)
    7/20 Village of the Giants (1965)
    7/27 Forbidden Planet (1956)

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

August
    8/3 The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
    8/10 House of Wax (1953)
    8/17 Village of the Damned (1960)
    8/24 Strait-Jacket (1964)
    8/31 The Giant Claw (1957)

I never did get to see Village of the Damned so that'll be a treat.

chancetx likes this.
  3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

September
    9/07 The Werewolf (1956)
    9/14 4D Man (1959)
    9/21 13 Ghosts (1960)
    9/28 Dracula 1931 [w/ added stock score]

This would seem to be the first month of repeats all year.

4D Man is really enjoyable so I'd recommend that. And for those of you who consider Dracula a little slow check out this version which has a score through out which can help the pacing for some.

loutoad23, chancetx and Erick H. like this.
  4. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

The Werewolf is a lost classic

X-human likes this.
  5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

A couple of Svengoolie news pieces:

This fall Svengoolie Meets the DC Universe in the pages of DC Comics! Svengoolie meets the Justice League and the Joker in the pages of DC Comics starting in October.
    Full Interview: https://metv.com/stories/interview-...c-book-event-svengoolie-meets-the-dc-universe

More information will be available at New York Comic Con during Svengoolie’s 40th anniversary panel on Friday, October 4 from 2:45 - 3:45pm ET in Room 1A24.

The City of Chicago officially honors Svengoolie for his 40th anniversary: Svengoolie is now, by government decree, a "symbol of esteem!"
    https://metv.com/stories/the-city-of-chicago-officially-honors-svengoolie-for-his-40th-anniversary

Erick H. likes this.
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow talk about dereliction of duties, I didn't post October's schedule of all months!

November
    11/02 Invisible Man, The (1933)
    11/09 It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955)
    11/16 Gorgon, The (1964)
    11/23 Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954)
    11/30 Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman (1958)

Well I just watched Invisible Man and Creature From the Black Lagoon in October but what the hell they're both favorites of mine.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Must have been a last minute decision because Sven just posted it today, but...
    https://svengoolie.com/blog/why-isnt-sven-on-the-u-this-morning-heres-the-scoop

This November has been crazy for the morning schedule . First It Came from Beneath the Sea was scheduled to run an hour earlier at 10AM but they mixed up the tapes and showed The Gorgon instead; which made the "replay" air before the "broadcast debut"! But to make up for it they played It Came during Gorgon's replay slot. And now they're moving the Saturday morning replay to Sunday evening!

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

December
    12/07 Valley of the Dragons (1961)
    12/14 The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960)
    12/21 The Wolf Man (1941)
    12/28 The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953)

[​IMG]
    It looks like they swapped out Wolf Man to show Valley of the Dragons which stars Joan Staley who recently passed away. She was also in The Ghost and Mr. Chicken and did a LOT of TV including an episode of The Munsters.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Erick H., othervoice1 and chancetx like this.
  9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

January 2020
    1/04 It Came from Outer Space (1953)
    1/11 Revenge of the Creature (1955)
    1/18 The Old Dark House (1963)
    1/25 Berserk! (1967)

I never did see Castle's Old Dark House so that'll be fun to see. It's been awhile since I've seen Berserk! but I recall enjoying it so that'll be a good one to see again too.

Erick H. and Nailwraps like this.
  10. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Want to give a shout to this because my mom and uncle LOVE tuning into Svengoolie every Saturday!

My only gripe is that the film cuts back to Svengoolie at some random point in the film (I.E. not finishing up a certain scene in the movie and having it continue after the commercial break, I find that annoying).

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I get that. In the last broadcast of The Wolf Man he cuts in at one point when Chaney said, "What big eyes you have grandma," which did kinda bug me because him and Evelyn play off each other so well in that scene you get wound up in it and so it's a bit of a jolt for him to cut out right then. But then in other parts he cuts in a clip of Larry Fine from The Three Stooges when someone calls out "Larry" and I think those are hysterical. It's rare though that he cuts in other footage like that. The vast majority of his lead-ins I enjoy and to make the most of it he does tend to drop you in at a line.

Yet it's something of a horror host tradition. In the early days it could be seen as an unwarranted interruption because TV was often the only way to see these movies after their initial theatrical runs. So for some the horror host was someone you may have to grin and bare. But now you can so easily watch any of these movies in any variety of delivery systems that really all there is to uniquely offer is the host cutting in.

Nailwraps likes this.
  12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Looks like this month thee "the" 's have it. ;)

February
    2/01 The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966)
    2/08 The Son of Kong (1933)
    2/15 The Mole People (1956)
    2/22 The Mummy's Curse (1944)
    2/29 The Monolith Monsters (1957)

More WB titles with Son of Kong which is again promising. Oh, and Joan Staley is back in The Ghost and Mr. Chicken...
    [​IMG]

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Heads up, Svengoolie had an advert during the Mole People's Saturday morning broadcast saying that through March the weekly re-run will be airing earlier. I'd been looking a bit for an official statement but none is forthcoming. But WCIU's schedule is showing 9AM starts to both 2/29 The Mummy's Curse (1944) and 3/07 The Monolith Monsters (1957). Guess I can't sleep in anymore. :(

Also Svengoolie reached a million views!
    https://svengoolie.com/blog/terror-lies-below-the-earths-surface-at-the-claws-of-the-mole-people
    [​IMG]
    With Joan Staley's help ;)

Erick H. likes this.
  15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

March
    3/07 Cry of the Werewolf (1944)
    3/14 4D Man (1959)
    3/21 Horror of Dracula (1958)
    3/28 The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)

Wow, Warner lent out their prized possessions Dracula and Frankenstein sooner than I anticipated; although it has been a year since the first WB title Revenge of Frankenstein aired in March 2019. The restoration of Dracula will undoubtedly be shown but I'm betting Frankenstein will be their unreleased restoration!

Erick H. likes this.
  16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Looks like The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) has been swapped out with Village of the Damned (1960). Either they were unwilling to debut the new 4k transfer of Frankenstein on Svengoolie and/or didn't want to put forward an old transfer with the newer transfer coming soon.

Disapointing. The same thing happened with Revenge of the Creature when that had a new transfer imminent. Maybe a year before we see it (on Sven). But hopefully soon on Blu-ray.

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm not usually home on Saturdays, but obviously I was this past week, and noticed Horror of Dracula on the guide. Tuned in, about 30 minutes in, so this was probably my first prolonged viewing of a Svengoolie outing.

OK, he's not my favorite host. For one thing, he gets more than a little too goofy with the skits and songs. But there was more than enough backstory to the film and actors to make it enjoyable and worth the time. I don't know if I'll regularly watch it, or DVR it, but hey, while I'm stuck at home on Saturdays, I'll give it a go.

KGBRadioMoskow likes this.
  18. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Basically my take on him. The combination of strictly classic, relatively "tame" horror films and at times intrusive riffing limits the appeal to me. Its clearly not the shows style, but I'd prefer more range in the horror offerings - some that push the taste/gore boundaries a bit more. And keep the humor strictly on the side, if I want to watch someone goof while the movie is playing, I'll spin up some MST3K.

I like the show overall, and they have segments where they show respect for the material by giving background info. But its more the modern absence of hosted horror shows that has me watching Svengoolie than a particular affinity for the show itself.

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Looks like they were planning some new episodes late in the month and are still working on the rest of the schedule so I'll post what we know now:
    April
    04/04 The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
    04/11 This Island Earth (1955)

Yeah he's pretty corny but considering he follows The Three Stooges, also airs Saturday mornings and his mailbag is full of child art it's safe to say it's a family show and he's hitting the marks he aims at. Which I think is great as it's introducing kids to classic horror at a young and impressionable age. :D While I know humor is subjective I find the "intrusive riffing" comments amusing because he only does one or two jokes going in or out of commercial breaks. Is there a horror host who does less?

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Oh yeah, if I had kids and I wanted to introduce them to classic horror, this would certainly be the way to do it. The "intrusions" would be perfect for the noted short attention spans of young children, and maybe tone down the scare factor (I remember as a kid, watching the 4:30 Movie, The Blob (original), and not wanting to admit that I was scared shitless, even with all the commercial breaks)

That said, I DON'T have kids, and the break ups of the movies' momentum is a little jarring for me. Especially since I have dozens of movie channels and hundreds of Blu-Rays at the ready. As for comparing him to other horror hosts, the only other one I watch is Joe Bob Briggs on The Last Drive-In. And yes, he's intrusive too. It's fine on movies I'm familiar with, but I've watched a few Last Drive-In movies that I had never seen before, and the constant interruptions really disturbed the flow of the movie.