Anyone got any info on this "Birthday to me" new blu-ray??

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, Nov 24, 2016.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    It'd be so wonderful if it's the original 1981 Theatrical USA version with the effects intact (compared to the 1982 cable, VHS and every release since!) Hey, a fan can dream, right?

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Intesting notes on the UK censorship history on this movie, from melonfarmers:

Censorship History

Uncut in the UK on cinema and VHS. The video was seized by police during the video nasties panic. Cut in the US for an MPAA R rating and this cut version was released on 2004 UK DVD.

Hopefully the 2016 Powerhouse release will be uncut but this is not yet confirmed.

I was not aware original releases in the UK were uncut, can't imagine the blu will be, interesting!!!

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I remember a poster on DVD Talk who had a copy of that very first, original UK VHS and confirmed the effects just as I remembered them. I saw the film theatrically only once on May 29, 1981 - it was my first "adult"/"new era" horror film (after watching only Hammer, Universal, ect on late night TV). I was so excited because relatives were raving about movies called "Humanoids from the Deep" and "Friday the 13th" so I couldn't wait to see one of these new horror shows at the movies.
    I raved about the movie at school the following Monday. Fast forward a year or more later and some of those kids I described the movie to came over to my house to watch it on Showtime. They ended up a little disappointed that my descriptions of the murders were far more gruesome than they saw. I first noticed no blood running from Bernadette's neck when her throat was slashed. I remembered blood on her scarf. The most noticeable ones was I remembered Etienne's face being mangled by the spokes of his tire. That was a great effect and DID NOT cut off so soon as it does now. Another one was when Dr. David gets bashed with the fire place poker. It was a great scene but makes NO sense now since it's cut way too fast and too short. Even my mother noticed the difference telling my dad, "...they showed more at the movies".
    The lack of any official confirmation of this footage ever seeing the light of day just bugs me. It's often mistaken on the internet that the movie was cut "prior" to release to get an R which is not true. It was released with it's original "hard" R rating and then edited to a softer version for VHS, cable, Betamax...and that's what we've seen ever since.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I never actually realised this was released uncut during its theatrical run. I always thought the cuts were made before then. That makes it even more annoying that they've never release the full version on disc. Would be an instant buy for me.

5. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

wow, so if you seen this in the uk it was totally uncut. surprised none of the footage ever surfaced anywhere.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. ronnie21

anyway, someone confirmed on amazon uk that the transfer is super..

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

But is it better than the US double feature?

8. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

I believe it's the same transfer as the US release but with a superior encode. It's also housed in a Scanavo case with original artwork, audio commentary, trailer, TV spots, photo gallery, and a nice booklet. It's certainly worth the $18 I paid to import it. Indicator has quickly become one of my favorite labels.

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

It has to be. Indicator has put out really high quality releases so far and the US blu-ray of HBTM was doubled with When a Stranger Calls so having the film on its own disc instead of being squeezed onto one with another film should make a noticeable difference.

An interesting read on the uncut version of the film: http://www.hysteria-lives.co.uk/Happy_Birthday_to_Me/censorship.htm

^ Justin Kerswell, who runs that site is one of the guys featured on the blu-ray commentary. It should make for an interesting listen.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Mine just shipped from Amazon UK. I only paid for standard shipping (no tracking) but I looked at my order and it shipped this morning via DHL with a tracking number and should be here in less than a week, which is amazing. I guess because Christmas is around the corner they're not taking any chances.

My Donnie Darko limited edition from Arrow also shipped this morning, via UPS and should also be here within a week. I'm not complaining. :)

~Matt

satans-sadists and Katatonia like this.
  11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Mine shipped yesterday too, also by DHL and should be here on Friday. I had a couple of orders on Amazon DE that just shipped the same way, so I guess they're trying to get everybody's orders to arrive before Christmas.

Matt89 and satans-sadists like this.
  12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Katatonia and SilentScreams like this.
  13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I just got mine delivered a few minutes ago from Amazon UK, but haven't yet had time to check out the disc. The cover artwork sure destroys that crappy Mill Creek Blu-ray, that's for sure.

14. ronnie21

great review now I can diss the double blu-ray .

15. ronnie21

so, anyone hear commentary yet

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I thought the commentary was great. If you like their podcasts then you're going to enjoy the commentary. They did great commentaries on Madman, Graduation Day and The Initiation and this one is no different.

The film actually looks fantastic. It's definitely an older scan but there seems to be no digital manipulation to it whatsoever. There's plenty of detail and a nice layer of grain throughout. The booklet has some interesting wrting on the film too that I'm sure fans will enjoy.

Really happy with this release and I love the reversible artwork. Finally someone did this film right.

~Matt

17. ronnie21

Hey, matt, is the quality better than the last double blu-ray they put out?? thanks..

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yes of course it is.

~Matt

19. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I little of topic, but amazon have listing for the next batch of indicator/powerhouse releases:

Vampires & Ghost from Mars

They do seems to only be releasing Sony's back catalogue

20. ronnie21

it says it cludes 2 tv spots. I only know of one.. wow