Anyone get Carrie, Suspiria, Dressed to Kill.....

Discussion in 'General' started by indiephantom, Aug 26, 2001.

1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

.....Killer Klowns, Blow Out, The Howling, The Beast Within, Opera...and the list goes on. It seems where I live nothing comes out in advance anymore. The last DVD I got before street date was CLOSE ENCOUNTERS.

Anyway, I'm looking for opinions on any of thes discs from those who got them early. 4 of those are on my all-time horror ten best list, so you know I'm excited. Juicy details accepted.

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

I think it's a bit too early for Suspiria and Opera.

I picked up The Howling today at Best Buy for $10. Damn good deal too. I already have the story outline written for my LD review, so I just need to critique the image and sound. I should have a review up tonight or tomorrow. There's one other ahead of it right now, though.

3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Opera???

Yeah, it is too soon for Suspiria and Opera, but if you see them that's pretty cool.

I have the Dressed to Kill SE and it's pretty good. Above average flick, decent picture and sound, and some cool extras. Plus the Unrated version. Pick it up.

Killer Klowns is very good too. The picture quality is EXCELLENT, and I still can't find the place where the sound goes out of sync, but I guess that's a good thing. I've only watched half of the featurettes as far as extras go, and to tell the truth I was somewhat bored with The Making Of, Komposing, and the SFX one. Hope the commentary is good.

Also saw The Howling and Scanners, but didn't pick them up. Waiting to hear if the Howling disc is worth an upgrade from the MGM VHS.

4. ACTUALLY...

I saw SUSPIRIA in a store yesterday. I did not buy it because it was the single disc edition and I have the LTD. ED. on pre-order.
    Though tempting as it was.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2001
  5. Vincent Pina

Vincent Pina New Member

Goddammit! I'm gonna shit my pants as soon as I see the Ltd Ed. of Suspiria in any store. I alreadly looked all over Austin and some of Houston. I plan on buy two or three copies just because I'm so psyched! I'll bet you can get a pretty penny off them on epay after they sell out.

6. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

The Score II

With visions of DVDs dancing in my head, I ran over to Best Buy. Managed to find Killer Klowns, The Howling, and Planet of the Vampires! The first two titles were on the upper shelves, mainly used for overstock.

Maniac, Vamp, and Invaders from Mars are excellent discs, no complaints here. Haven't went through Dressed to Kill or Scanners yet. (I need a damn day off!)

7. efisher

efisher New Member

Hey Dave, I was wondering if you got a insert slip with your Howling DVD? The one I received yesterday didn't have one inside.

Ed

8. Vincent Pina

Vincent Pina New Member

I don't think any of them do (the MGM ones, I mean).

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

The Carrie DVD had a little booklet included, but the KKFOS disc had nothing, but at 10 bucks how can you complain? Just finished going through the Carrie disc, and like Paff said, it is amazing. The documentaries are some of the best ever released on DVD and are just full with interesting anecdotes and insight on the making of the film. Definitely one of MGM's best efforts!

10. cwjliu

cwjliu Guest

They don't have English subtitle neither .... :( , or do they? They only indicate subtitles for French and Spanish for most of dvds.
    I don't mean the Closed Captioned since I don't have a caption decoder on tv or dvd player.
    I'd appreciate if anyone can inform me whether there is an English subtitle on Dressed To Kill, Carrie, Howling etc ...
    Many thanx in advance.

11. Vincent Pina

Vincent Pina New Member

MGM almost never has english subtitles on their discs. Some of the big name new releases might contain them, but your pretty much shit out of luck on the catalog titles. I enjoy english subs when I can't catch the sometimes quick or under the breath dialog, and my wife likes them since english is her second language. I can't imagine how the hard of hearing must feel about no english subs (mutleyhyde, was it you who expressed disdain in the past?).

Anyway, if I remember, I'll check on them for you.

Also, true enough, the Carrie and Dressed to Kill SE's have inserts. It would make you think that KKFOS would have an insert since it pretty much is a SE all it's own.