Any Code Red release updates?

Discussion in 'General' started by gore, Oct 18, 2007.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

If anyone is willing to pay $30 + $4 shipping for a blu-ray of Zombie Nightmare... well, go to Screen Archives.

Code Red has priced themselves out of the market for me.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I ordered it along with the Joysticks Blu-ray, which is also now on the site to order. At least Zombie Nightmare will have a new Interview included.

If we want physical media to still exist for some of these titles, unfortunately we have to pay these days. I'm certainly not overjoyed with paying high prices like this...just stating that it's becoming reality now for releases from some genre labels.

Dobby, gobad2003 and Angelman like this.
  3. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I cannot resist the siren call of the deep cut on Blu Ray. I ordered it, Monster Club, The Vanishing.

I don't drink, smoke, I go to most movies for free, I have no vices. If $30 gets me Zombie Nightmare on Blu, so be it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    baggio and Katatonia like this.
  4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That's crazy expensive. That'd cost me more than $50 to get it to Australia.

5. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

I agree with Kat, If we want physical media to continue we have to support the indie labels. Besides that's the way physical media is going right now with low press numbers and higher prices. I will eventually get this but I've already spent alot this month ;)

Angelman and Katatonia like this.
  6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Darga and Angelman like this.
  7. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I just bought 8 of Arrow's 2015 BDs for less than $17 (each) shipped. I've been buying tons of Kino BD's for around $12 each. Not all indie labels have ridiculous prices. I thought I desperately wanted a BD of THE CHEERLEADERS until I saw it for $30 (plus $4 shipping). Now I'm not so sure. Code Red is pricing me out.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  8. Katatonia

Those are bigger labels mainly dealing in the retail market also.

It's simple then, don't buy it if you hate the price. They're not forcing you to.

Dobby likes this.
  9. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

No reason to be so snarky. Just saying that this notion that we "have to spend more" if we want to get smaller films released on disc is false. Look at NIGHTMARE. I paid $13 to import the 88 Films' release from the UK but from Bill it's $30+. Kino, Olive, 88 Films, Shout Factory, Synapse Films, Arrow, Vinegar Syndrome release the same films for half the price.

This notion that if Cod Red didn't release X than no one would is just as false. I think the recent Nightmare and Blood Rage releases (and many more) prove that.

So I will be taking your advice and not buying some of Cod Red's releases. It's not because I can't afford it. I spend $300 to $500 on discs every month. But I can't help but feel like the Big Cartel and Screen Archives prices are a ripoff. And if I'm feeling the pinch than I'm certain many more genre fans are too. There is just too much product on the market and at more attractive prices.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Ha ha! You beat me to it..

11. Katatonia

Like I said, don't buy 'em then. Maybe if enough people don't bite at those prices these labels will reconsider the prices. But I personally care more about the movies than what else is on the market at attractive prices. I'd rather pay more for something I really want than less for something I could do just as well do without.

I don't have any special love for Code Red though. They are overpriced, and I no longer buy a lot of their releases because they are way overpriced. If many were cheaper, I'd still buy more of them... and the shipping prices just kill the deal also.

Dobby likes this.
  12. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

It sounds like we are in the same boat. So why do I detect that you are annoyed that I'm discussing Code Red's prices. I care about the movies as well. That's why I'm discussing them on a discussion forum. If enough of us discuss them being overpriced, and sales suffer, perhaps the prices will start to fall back in line with the market.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. Katatonia

I'm as annoyed by the prices as anyone, but if I want a movie badly I will pay the price. I'm not going to balk at something like $10 more for a limited release and decline ordering it if I want the movie... I'll just eat ramen noodles for a night or two and forget about it.

I have no problem with discussing them being overpriced, because they are. You can get Criterion releases cheaper. But people buy them because they want them, and I doubt that's going to change anytime soon, for Code Red or with people buying expensive specialty imports from Diabolik, etc.

Dobby likes this.
  14. Zombie Dude

Isn't one of crikan points that you can by the a lot of the same titles from other labels for a much cheaper price?

15. Katatonia

Maybe so, but that's a very small percentage of Code Red's or Scorpion releases.

Dobby likes this.
  16. Zombie Dude

Yeah but pretty much all the titles released by other labels are some of the most popular of what Code Red has to offer. So they really are pricing themselves out of the market in that regard.

17. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Stop kissing Code Red's butt Kat.

18. Katatonia

With the odd release like Nightmare, yes, they'll do good to lower the price. People can import it cheaper, and region free. The Code Red release has better colors, but many people will probably prefer it uncut with slightly worse colors, and if they can grab it more than half cheaper in price.

With other releases though, Code Red or Scorpion are pretty much the only way to get those titles... until perhaps later on with foreign releases.

Dobby and MisterTwister like this.
  19. Katatonia

You should know as well as anyone here that I have no love for Code Red. I wouldn't be caught dead being an ass kisser for the label or its practices.

Dobby, MisterTwister and Zombie Dude like this.
  20. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'm with Kat. I buy all of Code Red's horror Blus. I look for deals on others. Is what it is right now, but if I want something, I'll pay for it.

Katatonia likes this.