Another remake question

Discussion in 'General' started by Paff, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Tye

Tye Member

I really couldn't have put it any better :)
    What I have a problem with is the amount of films being remade today. I really don't have issues with films like The Fly, The Blob and The Thing being remade since they were made before my time - hence, I like what Paff pointed out in his thread.
    What I've always wondered is why remake an already good/original film? If it's not broken - then don't fix it. Wouldn't it be better to remake a not-so-great-film-to-begin-with instead?
    It's pretty obvious that Hollywood has run out of original ideas and that's a shame. :(

2. onebyone

onebyone Guest

But seriously, what did Eli Roth say about The Bad Seed? :mad:

That remake does not seem to be getting off the ground. Maybe it is for the best.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2006
  3. mkayers

mkayers Member

It's funny this came up. My 22 year old brother-in-law was just telling me about The Omen coming out & "this chick hangs herself with the kid watching". I said "Good fucking thing they could come up with their own ideas". He didn't even know it was a remake. Then he said the original probably sucked as bad as the original Dawn of the Dead that I let him borrow. According to him it was boring & had cheesy FX.

4. badnewsbrown

badnewsbrown Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

This made me cry.

6. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

People keep saying that Hollywood has run out of original ideas. I think they have plenty of original ideas, they're just afraid to try them out for fear of losing money. The American moviegoing public wants a certain kind of movie, and Hollywood is afraid to deviate from it to deliver something entirely new. Most of the good stuff coming out lately is from independents or smaller companies who aren't reluctant to experiment.

That said, I don't really mind the recent remakes. Some are really good (Assault on Precinct 13), some are really bad (The Stepford Wives), and some are just blah (The Amityville Horror). At the very least, sometimes they get people interested in seeing the originals. And to me that is the most important thing.

7. MrVess

MrVess Guest

I do not remember the exact quotes from Roth, but I do remember my disgust upon reading it (at some point last year, I think); essentially, he dismissed the original altogether, describing it as too long, boring, stiff, difficult to take seriously... He promised to "improve" it by taking only the concept of a little killer girl and "developing" it. He stated that his remake will be (to probably paraphrase his words) "extreeeeeeme!" - with blood, gore, loudness, all murders visible in detail, blah, blah, blah... I think he also mentioned that his great idea for the remake is to add "lots of dark humor" to it, essentially turning his Rhoda (if he even keeps the name...) into a combination of Christina Ricci's Wednesday Adams and Macaulay Culkin's kid from "The Good Son" (I'd use "Mikey" instead of "The Good Son" for comparison, but I do not remember enough from "Mikey"...:)).

All that even though there isn't even a one page treatment for the remake anywhere in sight, and nobody said yet whether or not Roth would also be writing in addition to directing.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I hope that John Waters and Patty McCormick band together and hatch an assassination plot against Eli Roth. I'd want it to fail, of course. The man is allowed his opinions, regardless of how near-sighted they may be. But I want him to hurt a little...and I want Them to do it! :evil:
    Once again, we have a newie filmmaker pissing on a classic and saying he'll make it "better" with all of the modern stylings that horror fans over the age of 13 tend to despise.

True, the original isn't scary (although McCormick's "Rhoda" does come across as very effective and creepy--rare for a child actor) but it's a product of its time. Go ahead and remake it if you want, but you don't have to slam the original. Coming from the person who has only made two quasi-decent films, he sure has a lot of bravado.

CABIN FEVER just slipped a few notches in my book. :(

9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Reading that was a bit of a dagger in the heart, I admit it. I love that movie and Rhoda is my favorite all-time evil kid, no contest.

Still, this remake shows no signs of moving forward with Roth, so maybe it will not happen or, if it does, it will be done by someone who at least gets why it is a classic.

10. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

i think the age thing may play a part. a film that i saw as a kid brings back so many great memories of the time and place not just of the movie. Those emotions cant be recaptured with a remake so those movies have too much to live up to. being a horror fan i love to show my old favorites off and a remake almost makes it impossible to do. people may just say "oh yeah i saw that movie in the theater" and they are talking of the remake. I do think hollywood is running dry. it seems like a lot of original ideas are just remakes of foreign originality. But, i dont mind the remakes so much if it keeps horror going. if one great original gets a chance because the remakes can rake in the money thein wont it all be worth it?

11. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Blasphemy! The original is a great film, a classic. I thought the movie was almost perfect. In fact, I read the book before I saw it and, as I remember, thought the movie was a pretty faithful interpretation.

Eli Roth just needs to get that cock out of his mouth. :lol:

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Ummmmm. No, let's not get carried away. Suck on, Eli!!! :lol:

13. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Oh yeah, that's right. He IS pretty hot, even though he's an asshole. :eek:

14. dcrw6

dcrw6 New Member

Age isn't such a big factor to me, overkill is. When I was little, I knew what movies were remakes and was always interested in watching the originals. In fact, I actually watched the original The Thing before I saw Carpenter's and I still love the shit out of it. There weren't that many remakes, but the ones that were out there was worth watching just to see what they changed. I also agree with MrVess where the good ones did their own thing while respecting the originals.
    The problem today is every fucking movie announced is a remake, not just horror movies anymore, either. In the last 24 hours alone, I read about remakes of IT, Wolfen, The Stepfather, and another Seven Samurai flick. I groaned as much as anyone else when Dawn of the Dead '04 was announced, but I give any movie a chance and I'm glad it was a decent movie. But it's at the point where there's too much saturation with mediocre crap. Something's gotta give soon.
    For the record, I stopped giving any money to the remakes. Even with as much as I wanted to see Hills Have Eyes, I'll wait until I can pick it up used. It's the only way, an admittedly small way I know, that I can think of to help slow down the remakes and force some originality.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  15. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I wasn't alive when 95% of these remakes original counterparts were released and I still find the originals to be superior in almost every case. I'm willing to give almost any of them a chance, but when you stack it up against the original source material it just doesn't hold up. Like the TCM remake. Sure it was fun but as soon as you go back and watch the original it loses any charm it had. Just my opinion...