Annabelle Comes Home (2019)

Discussion in 'General' started by buck135, Mar 31, 2019.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

First trailer. Looks good.

othervoice1, Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'm getting bored of these movies, but I might see it for Patrick and Vera, as they're really the only thing I care about in The Conjuring universe.

Also, this is being released the week after Toy Story 4 and the Child's Play remake. Too much!

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I agree to some extent. I love the first two Conjuring movies and though Annabelle Creation was pretty damn good but the others have been trash. This new one looks like it could go either way (really good, really bad). I really just want Wan to return and do a Conjuring 3.

Also, just checked and this is going to be from a first time director so maybe he'll bring his A game.

4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Typical entry in the series. Here is yet another film I've seen that seems to be R rated for no reason. The sugar coated ending annoyed me but the film was about what I expected. Like the earlier films I watched them in the theater but will pass on home video.

5. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I actually really liked the characters in this one but the movie as a whole was just decent. I thought the scare setups were way too long. I don't need a scare a minute but you knew where the scene was heading and it would take like 5 minutes of wandering in the dark before anything would actually happen. Also, the very end was straight out of a
    Ghost Whisperer episode. "He wants you to know that he misses you and doesn't blame you for what happened". That's how pretty much every Ghost Whisperer episode ends.

Still liked it enough overall to probably rate it around a 6/10, but more because of the three girls than the scary bits, which I'm honestly struggling to remember apart from the coin/flashlight bit. Oh, and the bit with the shadow changing as the light color changed, that was pretty cool.

Also really baffled by the R rating, I don't recall a word stronger than "ass" and I don't remember anything particularly gruesome.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I saw it at the theater last night and thought it was pretty solid. I liked the previous "prequel" more than the original Annabelle, and this "sequel" didn't really disappoint.

Patrick and Vera appearing (more than just tidbit cameos) also certainly raised the film up. They really nailed the 70's vibe in the film, and it did remind me somewhat of the original Halloween as far as the babysitter angle went.

While hardly any classic, Annabelle Comes Home was at least more entertaining than the last film I bothered with at the theater, Us. Now there was an overrated piece of shit movie that disappointed all three of us. :rolleyes:

buck135, m@ggot and russweiss like this.
  7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see someone else had the same opinion about Us. The worst thing to me is that the film made money which means most likely another non entertaining film from Peele. I also enjoyed Annabelle more than Us.

m@ggot and Katatonia like this.
  8. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'll third the opinion on Us. The home invasion part wasn't bad, but I thought it completely fell apart big time the second they tried to explain anything. I'd definitely watch this again, probably several times before I would watch Us again.

9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Us would have worked better as a Twilight Zone episode.

10. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

Totally agree with all of you about 'Us'. It seems as though when it comes to explaining the science behind what is going on in his movies, Peele's films seem to fall apart. Although not as egregious, I had a similar issue with 'Get Out'. I'm totally down with horror movies containing a healthy dose of social commentary (Night of the Living Dead) but please leave out plot holes that a jack-knifed semi could fit through. I think he might do way better with a supernatural horror film where he's allowed to play fast and loose with logic...maybe his version of 'Candyman' will be his magnum opus?

To get back on topic, I saw the new Annabelle movie last night and totally enjoyed it...a thoroughly entertaining time waster/popcorn muncher. Playing "who's the next evil entity to get their own spin-off" was kinda fun...

Katatonia likes this.
  11. Zombie Dude

Shame to hear lot of people hating on US. I thought it was a great concept with lots of stuff to dig into with multiple viewing. Plus I loved the sound track.

dave13 and CPT HOOK like this.
  12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I agree. I think a lot of horror fans tend to flock to and praise the cookie-cutter franchise movies (like Annabelle, for example) and remakes due to the familiarity, but whenever something a little different comes along audiences are WAY harder on it for some strange reason. For example, movies like Us, The Perfection, Hereditary, etc are very love-it or hate-it when you'd think they'd be like-it or love-it. I think they get angry when movies do things they aren't expecting or isn't exactly what they want it to be. Horror fans think they want things that are new or different, but they really don't.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'm all for new and different, I just thought Us wasn't a very good movie.

m@ggot, russweiss, Steel76 and 2 others like this.
  14. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I wholeheartedly agree.

m@ggot likes this.
  15. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Wife and I saw Annabelle 3 and greatly enjoyed it. I think it's kind of funny that Annabelle is up to 3 yet we still don't have a third Conjuring movie... ?!

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It is reportedly filming now and will be released September 2020.

17. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

18. Zombie Dude

I saw this on Friday and hated it. I thought it had terrible suspense and like Cooperkill mentioned, it feels like a kids movie, but in a bad way.
    There's of girl who is just beyond stupid and goes above and beyond to fuck things up for everyone. The Warren's are guest stars that had even less screen time than I thought they would. The only memorable ghost was the ferryman and the best character was the Warren's little girl who thankful wasn't an idiot.

I pretty much have no faith in Conjuring 3 at this point. Very disappointing.

19. Zombie Dude

I'll also add that the haunted tv was an interesting element that was kind of creepy.