Annabelle (2014) - Spin-off of The Conjuring

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Franco

Franco Weekender

4/10 for this one. The Conjuring and Insidious (even the second one) are superior to Annabelle. It had potential and having a low budget for this one isn't a reason to have "just one more horror movie".

2. foller

foller Active Member

That is the best advertising campaign a horror film can get. And it was for free :)

3. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

I actually preferred it to Insidious 2 at least it had 1 or 2 jump moments unlike I2.

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I actually enjoyed this quite a bit, much more than I did The Conjuring which after a couple of viewings I still see and cliche and dull. Not nearly as good as Insidious though.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I just saw this with my daughter. I liked it as well. The main actress is breathtakingly gorgeous, so I struggled to watch her act when her presence alone dominates her overall screen time. Her husband on the other hand was so bad that we were entering Hayden Christensen territory.

6. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

LOL, wasn't he awful? I noticed he wasn't in any of the trailers very much and assumed he would be one of Annabelle's first victims. No such luck... :evil:

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

If he doesn't get a Razzie, those "awards" shouldn't exist. Speaking of trailers, all of the best scares were in the trailer.

8. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I didn't have any real intentions on watching this one, knowing damn well that it was going to be nothing more than a cheap cash grab to leech off the success of The Conjuring, but I caved in to my curiosity. After watching Annabelle I have to say that I think a lot of the scathing reviews I have read about this film, calling it one of the worst films of 2014, are fallacious and hyperbolic. I by no means think this is a good movie, because it is not, but I can give credit where credit is do. I think the production design and costume design teams should really be getting more applause for their work because they really did a great job pulling off the time period, it makes the film more authentic. The cinematography is pretty good as well, although there is not anything truly unique about the visual style that blew me away.
    What really hurts this film is the acting, which is mediocre, the directing, which is completely devoid of tension or atmosphere, and the story. Now the story is not necessarily incompetent, but it is paper thin. The lack of depth to the characters and mythology behind the Annabelle doll really kept me from becoming emotionally invested into the well being of the characters.

Overall, Annabelle is a bland, uninspired film that, at the very least, could have used a more seasoned and competent horror director behind the lens.

Rating: 5/10

9. Christine88

Christine88 Guest

I need to see this film.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I watched this a few nights ago and wasn't too impressed. There was a couple of creepy scenes
    like the demon scene
    and the little girl running towards the camera which they spoiled in the trailer. The issue was they were more interested in jump scares than actually building suspense.
    I felt like the demon scene could have been done better. I was expecting to see it appear closer each time the elevator doors opened but I felt like it was a really good concept that was wasted. Same with when it was on the stairs. I felt like seeing it slowly move forward would have been quite frightening but instead they went with a lame jump scare where it stupidly appears upside down in from of the camera.
    My other big issue is the film really had little of the doll in it. It's called Annabelle for fucks sake, how about making the film about the doll rather than a boring couple I could care less about. I felt like the movie should have followed the doll through the few families and people in ended up with, all the way to how it got where it is today in its case. they could have even done it as an anthology but it was all wasted on one boring couple/family.

The ending was very lame as well. It was a bit of a cop-out having that random character show up and made it feel like they ran out of the little ideas they had. I felt like the film was just a lot of wasted opportunities. Not unwatchable or even terrible but definitely lacking and disappointing.

11. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

I thought Annabelle was AWFUL. Not in the slightest creepy, or scary. Very silly (especially the Manson esque cult lol). The movie didn't even feel like a period piece to me. The fact hat they used the music box theme used in the Conjuring for the mobile was just unimaginative.

To think that so many people involved in the Conjuring and Insidious were involved I felt really cheated. Even Joseph Bishara's score was full of jolts and pales in comparison to his usual work.

Inevitably there will be more Conjuring spin offs, but I guarantee they won't make half as much as this movie.

12. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

Annabelle needs a proper corn holing from Chucky, to give this franchise legs.

13. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

This is the best in James Wan's supernatural realm. It has all the elements of previous instalments without ending up going over the top with spinning houses, silly gas masks, or guitars wailing while wizards shoot lightning from mountain tops. It kept it subtle and maintained an consistent tonal integrity over the other films.

There is some clunky establishing dialogue right at the beginning that I think might start some off on the wrong foot, but if you stick with it, things get rolling in a great way.

14. thrashard76

thrashard76 Thrash or be Thrashed

I saw this in the theaters and liked it. I'll be picking this up for sure on blu-ray along with Lucy.

15. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

did anyone else who saw Aquaman catch the Annabelle doll cameo? :D