Among The Living - German Blu-ray (Bustillo & Maury)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by CPT HOOK, Aug 5, 2017.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Was wondering if anyone here has this blu-ray and could give me the specs?

Mostly curious if the disc is region free or B-locked, and if it has English subtitles.

[​IMG]

For those unfamiliar, this is from the makers of Inside, Livid, and the upcoming Leatherface.

Plot: Three kids who decide to skip school in order to explore an abandoned amusement park catch site of a woman being dragged through a field by a masked man.

2. foller

foller Active Member

It's Region B, only has German and French audio and only German subtitles.

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Amazon lists the disc as region B but for some reason doesn't list the language/subtitles which is odd.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I finally got around to watching Among The Living on SHUDDER. I'm glad I watched it, but I don't feel compelled to own it, so I guess it worked out that the German blu-ray isn't American friendly.

Starts out very Jeepers Creepers, with three boys ditching detention to explore an abandoned movie set, where they stumble upon a creepy guy with a female victim in his trunk. The boys get away, and the cops don't believe them, so they just go about their lives.

The second half of the movie is where the killer pays a visit to each of the boy's homes. One is at home with his babysitter, one is plotting to murder his abusive father, and the third is at home with his parents and younger siblings. The gangly naked killer was incredibly creepy, and these stalking sequences late in the movie certainly pack some intensity.

The biggest problem with the movie is the three kids are incredibly unlikable. I had read they were going for a Stand By Me / The Goonies vibe with the kids, but that's an insult to those movies. These kids are on par with the heinous brats from Attack The Block, only this movie at least does us the favor of picking a few of them off.

That aside, the movie certainly delivers some of the gore and intensity that will satisfy fans of Inside and such (although personally, I found Inside to be silly). If you liked that movie, give this a look on SHUDDER. Maybe sometime we'll finally be able to see Livid here in the States, but I believe it is tied up in Weinstein hell.