Amityville II & III region 2 DVD reviews

Discussion in 'General' started by Doombear, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Doombear

Doombear Member

I first picked up the UK region 2 release of Amityville II & III.
    - They are pan & scan
    - No trailers
    - Violence is edited out of Amityville II!! (The killing of the family members is noticeably trimmed)
    - Poor transfers, muddy sound
    - Requires Region 2 and PAL capable player
    AVOID

I did a search and saw that there were German and French region 2 discs available too. I picked up the German ones, and was quite pleased:
    - Widescreen 1.85 ratios
    -Trailers
    -German 5.1, German 2.0, and English 2.0 audio tracks
    -Violence is intact in Amityville II
    -Sharp picture, clearer sound - very nice transfer
    -Amityville III's Widescreen transfer is as eye-openingly beautiful to look at as the Friday the 13th part III DVD transfer was
    - The same print was likely used, because I saw dust-bunnies and scratches on the exact same shots
    - Requires Region-2 and PAL capable players
    - Sucky coverart; I shall be designing custom matching covers for Amityville I-III DVDs soon
    RECOMMENDED

I'm not sure how the Region 2 France DVDs compare, but they're listed as Pan-and-Scan, so that cannot be a good thing.

Here's hoping for a region 1 release of these films, OAR.
    Amityville III in 3-D would be difficult, because it used the polarized 3-D effect which requires a special projector and screen.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2002
  2. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I'd love seeing both of these on R1, mainly because they're the only decent sequels in the series. If MGM released the original in R1, do they also have the rights to the sequels? I'd love to see someone give these a good release.

3. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

Amityville 2 is a guilty pleasure of mine. It one of those 'exorcist' rip offs, but still. For some reason the film just trips me out. I love devil/demon/possesion films. I can't believe they'd 'cut' stuff from this film. Hell, even when i caught it on SCI-FI channel they showed a lot of stuff, but trimmed obvious moments. Like when the dude bangs his sister! ahahahah!!!

sux to hear that version is trash, at least from the description.

4. stone88

stone88 Guest

Amityville 3-d could be converted to field sequential 3-d which would work with the 3-d kits that are available at Best Buy.

Alot of the old 80's 3-d movies have already been converted to field sequential but Amityville 3-d is one of a few that have never been available. I've been searching for Amityville and The Man Who Wasn't There in FS 3-d for over a year with no luck.

5. Steve Crotte

Steve Crotte Guest

the possession

I heard the Italian dvd release of Amityville 2 is longer than any other release.

Only downer is you can't remove the italian subs.

6. Joni Backman

Joni Backman New Member

I own the Italian DVD and it is uncut. In Europe it has always been very rare in uncut form on VHS format. Always the same scene is missing (Burt Young gets shot against the wall - and yes, this is not a spoiler when everybody knows the son kills everybody in the family).

That scene is missing in Greece, UK, Finland etc. Greece doesn't have censorship at all, so it must be deleted by some ditributor or something.

I haven't seen any NTSC-version of that film. Is US-VHS or LD uncut?

Italian DVD is anamorphic. The image quality is OK, but far from perfect. It's very possible that German DVD is also fully uncut if it's longer than UK-DVD.

7. I've seen two versions of Amityville 2.
    The TV version in the UK - is actually a little bit longer then the 18 rated cut, because it contains a momentary reaction shot where Burt Young hits the wall with blood on his clothes.

The video / DVD doesn't contain this shot - but I have an Ed French interview in an old Fangoria - where it shows a super-cool fake Burt Young head - which states that the head gets blasted apart!

Is this in the uncut version, or did the blasted head not actually make it into the movie at all?

I love Amityville 2 - good old fashioned sleazy horror, and totally tasteless bladder effects! Awesome.

8. evileye

evileye Member

You mentioned the aspect ratio of 1.85:1 for these DVDs, but Amityville 3 is 2.35:1. Was the DVD transfered at the 1.85:1 and cropped or did u skip that? I was debating on picking the imports up too.

9. Doombear

Doombear Member

The back of the box says 1.85:1. I could post screenshots of these lovely DVDs so we can measure the aspect.

The German disc shows a bloodied Burt Young flying against the wall.

10. evileye

evileye Member

Any luck with screenshots of the Amityville DVDs? :p
    Both are anamorphic, right?

While we're on the subject of German DVDs, has anyone picked up the german HALLOWEEN 3: SEASON OF THE WITCH which is supposed to be in the correct anamorphic 2.35:1?

11. Errmm I've got the UK Halloween 3 (with the commentary)... That isn't the correct aspect ratio?

12. evileye

evileye Member

Sadly, the UK dvds are a "so close" shot, but not quite there.

HALLOWEEN 2, while anamorphic with a commentary which is said to be quite fun, is a bad print in comparison to Universal's region 1 disc.

HALLOWEEN 3 also has the cool commentary, but is transferred at 1.85:1 (cropped a bit on the sides like the Amityville 3 DVD). The german dvd, which has an english track, is the only one reviewed with a anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer (but no commentary). The Goodtimes US disc is 2.35:1 also, but not 16X9 and looks lousy on my widescreen unit.

Confusing, isn't it!:(

13. Ohhh... That does kinda blow. Still, the UK disc looks nice enough for me. With the commentary - I think I'll keep it. :)

14. evileye

evileye Member

Actually, I ran across the article on THE DEAD ZONE in VIDEO WATCHDOG No. 88 and the quote was

"Newman and Jones have been booked to repeat their double-act on upcoming discs of HALLOWEEN II and HALLOWEEN III, which will come out in the UK as seperate releases and in the US as part of a HALLOWEEN series box set."

Figures! Hope they use better transfers. I smell Anchor Bay behind this one.

15. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Damn, it's been ages since I saw Amityville 2. I totally forgot how much fun (and campy) this flick was! :D

I just bought the German PAL R2 DVDs of Amityville 2 and 3.
    Quality wise, part 2 looks absolutely stunning and I'm not bullshitting when I say that the transfer is one of the best I've seen on any 80's horror film that's out on DVD so far.
    The crystal clear image is a real jaw dropper!
    On the downside, I just read that AH2 was always missing a few minutes of footage when released in Germany. They didn't cut any gore but a few dialogue scenes and such. Ah well, I guess I can live with that.

Amityville 3's transfer ain't bad either but I've seen better. Some scenes are slightly out of focus, sports some grain and print damage plus the discs 1.85:1 aspect ratio definitely ain't correct at all, screaming 2.35:1 all over.

But hey, I ain't really bitching here. I'm glad I got those two on DVD with English audio and, most importantly, enhanced 16:9 transfers! :banana:

16. Beastus

Beastus New Member

As for now, the best discs are the Italian for part 2, and the German one for the third one. But the picture quality isn't that great on either one, but at least they're anamorphic