American Mary (2012)

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

[​IMG]

Really enjoyed American Mary and thought it was a definite step up from the Soska Sisters first film Dead Hooker in a Trunk. Katharine Isabelle was very good as usually. It thought it was original and bazaar which is a plus for me. I would recommend it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Heard good things, it's available to buy now on UK Blu (region free for all you guys living outside the UK who may be interested), so will be picking it up soon.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I've been hearing good things too, but I'm really weary to check it out because Dead Hooker in a Trunk was absolutely atrocious on every level...

4. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

it's pretty good. katharine isabelle is the best thing about it. i don't think it's quite as amazing as people are hailing it to be. i'd give it a 7/10. the first half is better than the second half of the movie for sure.

5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

6. Vincent Pina

Vincent Pina New Member

Don't worry, it's nothing like Dead Hooker. I agree that was a total waste of time, but Mary is very well done.

7. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Agreed, well done. Isabelle is really good in this too!

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Great movie, really enjoyed it.
    Beatress must be the creepiest character since I don't know what :eek1:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  9. sinister

sinister Active Member

Maybe I'm just getting old or something but I thought this sucked all manner of ass. OK it has a few nice visuals here and there, but the actiing... I was seriously wondering if it was dubbed it was so bad in places. It was mildly entertaining in a "so bad it's good" kinda way I guess.

First time ever on here that I've been disappointed in an Ash28M recommended movie too!

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

This one was great, and Katharine Isabelle really nailed the part. The Blu-ray looks really superb too.

And this is perhaps the first time I've actually enjoyed a movie that Ash28M recommended! :lol:

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Played here for a weekend at the "Digital Gym", which is a small theater run by the Media Arts Center. It's brand new, but it only seats 49 people, and only has the capability to screen DVD and Blu-Ray. Both nights sold out, so I missed it.

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched it last night and thought it was fantastic.

I wish it had come together better at the end, but it was definitely an entertaining ride getting there.

13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

14. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

I was pretty underwhelmed. It has some cool ideas and a fairly original concept, but just about everything was executed poorly.

15. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I'm really confused why this movie is getting so much praise because it was OK at best. The concept of the film was interesting, but it was executed so poorly I don't know where to begin, I felt like I was watching some sort of body modification fetish movie. At the 40 minute mark I literally said, out loud to myself, "Where the fuck is this movie going?" and that's the biggest problem, it takes why to long for the Soaska's to figure out what it is they are trying to accomplish. There is no "real" story arc to be found, just a mesh of different scenario's thrown together. On the up side, the visual style is cool, the special effects are well done considering the budget, and, I think this goes without saying, Katherine Isabelle is finer than a mother fucker as usual (even in a surgeons clothes she is sexy!). I really wanted to like this movie a lot, but I was really underwhelmed. I think the Soaska's have some sort of untapped potential, but I'm not sure what it will take for them to show it.

Rating: 6/10

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I liked this a lot, even though I agree with the statement that the movie had no idea where it was going. Really, there's not a lot of movies about body modification, so the Soskas were kind of blazing a trail here. And that's a good thing. But yes, their inexperience shows.

Even without the issues of where the film goes, it's worth watching for Katharine Isabelle alone. And not just for her looks (although she is damn good looking, even with those hideous bangs), but it's her performance that really stands out. I loved the wry humor of her character, as she seems pretty ok with the new direction of her medical career.

I'll give the audio commentary a listen before it goes back to Netflix, but I thought the DVD was kind of murky. How does the Blu Ray look? I don't know why Neflix only carries the SD DVD and not the Blu on this particular title.

17. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I dug it. Went it somewhat blind actually - I think I just happened to come across the DVD artwork while looking for something else and decided to give it a try. It'd different, raunchy, sexy, creepy and violent - me likey :D

Oh yeah, and Beatrice is indeed whack.

18. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

This just became available on Netflix Streaming for any of those interested. This will give me a chance to see if I want to purchase the blu.

19. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I generally liked it, but it kind of seemed like a movie from 15-20 years ago.

20. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I just found out Katherine Isabel is in this movie.

Will be watching it. (That's all it takes.)