American Horror Story: Hotel on FX

Discussion in 'General' started by Paff, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Let's talk about this season of American Horror Story here.

Just watched the premiere, and they had some pretty creative kill scenes. A lot of very obvious nods to The Shining, and the most explicit sex scene I've ever seen on basic cable. That was practically Skinemax stuff right there.

I just hope they manage to maintain the pace for 13 episodes, and don't run out of steam like the last two years.

2. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

Great crazy over the top stuff so far ! Like you said I hope it doesn't run out of steam too soon. Some references to The Hunger as well, and the police detective's storyline is interesting as hell.

3. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

Yeah...the carpet in the hotel right away reminded me of The Shining...the gore scenes were twisted and very well done...I'm hooked.:D

Shannafey likes this.
  4. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

This is the second year in a row I said I would wait until the middle of the season before checking out AHS but, once again, I caved in and watched the premiere. Pretty good episode, even if the plot is all over the goddamn place. I can't say this is one of the stronger season premieres they've had, but it was respectable enough and I'm interested to see where this goes. Although, like the previous three seasons, I have a big feeling this one will most likely run out of steam by the 9th or 10th episode and end with an underwhelming season finale.

Shannafey likes this.
  5. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    What a messed up episode!! Loved it!

6. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    My daughter noticed the carpet too!

7. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

The carpent and the kids and they are also playing around with some of The Shining spatial theories. Like Paff has said, I hope they can sustain it. They often end the season with some disappointing episodes.

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Loved the first season of American Horror Story (even visited the house while in LA), but after the last 3 incredibly inconsistent seasons I decided I was pretty much done with it. However, the new series Scream Queens has rejuvenated my interest a bit, so I'll be checking it out. I've already set the DVR, but I'll probably be waiting until a little closer to Halloween so that I'll have a few episodes to binge watch.

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Might be the smart play. They've never had any bad openers of AHS (Hell, even Coven had an amazing first episode), but boy does the quality fall off after that. You might hear us bitching about the show in a few weeks, and choose to just not bother. But I did keep the ep on my DVR for a re-watch this weekend. They really pushed the envelope of sex and violence for a basic cable show.

10. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Gaga.....another classic example of butterface.

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

No way dude, she's smokin' hawt all over!

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm not a fan of her (musically or physically), but I'm betting you enjoyed this week's entry, huh?

Really good stuff this week, very bloody and violent.

Mok likes this.
  13. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Her nose is bigger than my dick!

And no, my dick isn't small.:cool:

14. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying this so far, but this weeks episode was so long. I'm hoping they cut it down to closer to an hour each week.

15. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I gotta watch it a week in delay because its on at thr same time as Paranormal Witness and Im too lame to own a pvr :oops:(maybe being a Paranormal Witness fan also qualifies me as being lame:D)

Ow man I'd totally suck her nose!

16. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

So this entire topic is about sucking noses and bragging about your dicks?

[​IMG]

17. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I'm behind on this series. I only watched the first episode of Freakshow and forgot about it. I'm going to go back and watch that before watching all of Hotel. But I did watch Hotel's first episode and couldn't believe that this is I think normal TV. I don't know if FX is a normal channel but I know it isn't like HBO. I remember posting about how I didn't think the Friday the 13th remake went far enough. But Hotel is pushing probably as close as possible if not over what should be an R rating. I can't believe it was on TV. Drug use, sex scenes, nudity probably as close as you can get on TV, dark dialog, harsh gore scenes and photographs. And the topper is what happens to a man. I guess we have a similar rating system like in Japan where penetration is ok as long as it isn't a human that's seen doing the act. Or the person is the other persuasion. I was shocked.

Also I've heard of Lady Gaga before but never listened to her music or anything else. But in this she's really odd, out there, strange, and scary. I don't know where this show is going and all the repeat characters from the previous Horror Stories haven't even shown up yet. But it's something I can't wait to watch after I get back to Freakshow.

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Uh, they don't have repeat characters from other seasons. Each season is a completely new story, with the actors playing totally different roles. The only time they've really tried tying two stories together was last year when they revealed that
    Pepper goes from the freak show in season 4 to the asylum in season 2

19. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Watched the first 2 episodes tonight and while I have seen the ugly side of Gaga, I have to admit she looks damn good in this! It's all about makeup and angles with her, and they got both right.
    Digging it so far.

20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Watched episode 2 last night. The black and white segment was amazing. I wish they would have stayed there longer. Evan Peters is great this season. Maybe the best he's been so far.

As much as I dig Gaga, I'm a little worried that the show will pander to her schtick too much. A little is okay, but they have to remember, they are doing Gaga the favour by including her, not the other way around. Episode 2 was solid, but they've acknowledged that aspect of Lady Gaga now. It's time to move forward. In Coven, they laid on the Stevie Nicks thing a little too thick. I hope they keep things relevant to plot and horror first and foremost.