American Horror Story: 1984

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Apr 10, 2019.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

https://tvweb.com/american-horror-s...MGfMm8T-l1a9VZnBSZ8LTMQVV9ow0YVoJXn_iejyxjhOw

It looks like the ninth season of FX and Ryan Murphy's hit horror anthology series American Horror Story has just snagged its official title and theme for the upcoming season. Murphy himself dropped the news over on Instagram letting the world know that the new season will be called AHS: 1984 and even unveiled a quick teaser trailer for the season which seems to scream out the fact that this new season will be taking on slasher movies. And this here horror fan says it's about time!

The quick teaser, which you can check out below embedded in Ryan Murphy's Instagram post, features a girl looking 80s fabulous running through the dark woods at night followed close behind by a hulking slasher wearing a black leather butcher's apron and brandishing one hell of a knife. Again, this looks to be Ryan Murphy and crew taking on slashers (hopefully in a summer camp setting), and I couldn't be happier. That said, Murphy dropped the ball the last time he took a swing at slasher flicks with his short-lived FOX horror-comedy series Scream Queens. That series starred Emma Roberts, Lea Michele, and Jaime Lee Curtis and was given the ax by the powers that be over at FOX following two seasons.

American Horror Story was created by Murphy and Brad Falchuk, and the first season was called Murder House. It starred Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott, and Taissa Farmiga, and the second season, Asylum featured Zachary Quinto, Joseph Fiennes, and Sarah Paulson, while the third season was called Coven and featured Emma Roberts, Evan Peters, and Kathy Bates. From there we were hit with a fourth season called Freak Show starring Michael Chiklis, Finn Wittrock, and Angela Bassett, a fifth season called Hotel, with Wes Bentley, Chloë Sevigny, and Lady Gaga, and a sixth season called Roanoke with Cuba Gooding Jr, André Holland, and Denis O'Hare. More recently we were hit with a seventh season called Cult with Cheyenne Jackson, Billie Lourd, and Alison Pill.

The most recent season was called AHS: Apocalypse and was a crossover between the first season, Murder House, and third season, Coven. It took place in California during the years 2018-2021 and featured the witches from Coven returning to battle Michael Langdon, the Antichrist from Murder House to prevent the apocalypse. Returning cast members from previous seasons include Sarah Paulson, Kathy Bates, Evan Peters, Adina Porter, Emma Roberts, Cheyenne Jackson, Billy Eichner, Leslie Grossman, Billie Lourd, Jessica Lange, Taissa Farmiga, Gabourey Sidibe, Lily Rabe, Frances Conroy, Stevie Nicks, Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott, Erika Ervin, Wayne Pére, Naomi Grossman, Mena Suvari, Sam Kinsey, Celia Finkelstein, Lance Reddick, Jamie Brewer, and Angela Bassett, along with new cast member Cody Fern.

This past August American Horror Story was greenlit for a tenth season. Evan Peters will be sitting this upcoming ninth season out, but we do know that Emma Roberts will be back along with pro skier Gus Kenworthy who will be playing her boyfriend. The next ninth season, AHS:1984 will premiere in the fall. This update comes to us via the series' creator and showrunner himself, Ryan Murphy over on Instagram.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

If the show is as poorly written as that article, we're in for a pretty bad season.

Colin likes this.
  3. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I gave up on this show after "Hotel". I haven't heard enough good about the rest of the series so I don't see myself jumping back in even with an 80's slasher theme for this season.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Oddly enough (and I think we've had this discussion before), it was Hotel that's kept me coming back. The last couple of seasons before Hotel were horrible and had me considering dropping it, but Hotel fired on all cylinders from beginning to end. Then we got three pretty crappy outings that have me wondering if I should give this season a go or not.

I wish I'd given up after Hotel like you did, 'cause then it would have ended on a high note for me. But I don't think that's what you meant, is it?

5. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I never got around to watching anything past the second season. One of these days maybe I'll check out 'Coven'.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'd check out Hotel and Roanoke, then call it a day.

New season looks fun!

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Same here. I didn’t quite care for the “everything including the kitchen sink” approach to horror. But to the slap in the face the article does to Scream Queens, I loved that show. It didn’t need a second season, but I wish to hell that more shows entertained on the level the first one did.

8. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I feel like this is an attempt to jump on the recent "80's resurgence" bandwagon. After seeing the success of Stranger Things, it's like everyone is trying to capture the same bolt of lightning. I don't see any originality in this idea, but I'll reserve judgment.

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

^ Probably, but I'll at least give them credit for never making a zombie season (not yet, at least) despite that being a popular genre for a while.

10. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I'd put money on them doing that eventually.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah. They said they'd never do a vampire season, and Lady Gaga in Hotel is clearly a vampire.

The Joker likes this.
  12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Season 9 cast teasers:

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

New teaser trailer:

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

15. CPT HOOK

Reminder: American Horror Story 1984 premieres tonight on FX!

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

This new season looks pretty interesting concept wise (I've not seen any trailers). I'm still 2 seasons behind though so I should probably catch up before this new one.
    How were Cult and Apocalypse anyway? I feel like most of these seasons fall apart a bit at the end.

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I haven't liked a season since Hotel, but I'll be watching tonight. Apocalypse was the only season that tied into past seasons (Murder House and Coven especially). Not sure if 1984 will, so you can probably jump right in. Evan Peters won't be in it, for the first time ever.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I watched the second teaser that was posted. It looks good. But I'm behind too. And feel the same that the shows start off well but kind of lose something at the end.

I checked wiki and the last full season I watched was Coven. I think I watched a bit of the first episode of Freak Show and stopped. And I know I watched the first episode of Hotel which I thought was good. But wanted to be up to date and go back to Freak Show. I might catch up a bit if these are free On Demand in October.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. CPT HOOK

Loved the premiere, but I'm a sucker for a fun slasher so this was already way up my alley.

Curious if there is going to be a twist like Roanoke, as I'm not sure they'll be able to draw this out for 10 episodes. They already covered quite a bit of ground with the formula in this episode alone.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The new full season is also up on Amazon Prime Video to purchase right now for just $5.99 (HD). That's unlikely to last long however. Edit: that price is dead already as expected.

Hopefully the UK will release another Blu-ray for this season, but I wouldn't exactly count on it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019