All six Star Wars films finally headed to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by MorallySound, Aug 14, 2010.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

cool hopefully the holiday special will be included but i doubt it

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Considering that the STAR WARS series is the most popular and profitable film franchise of all time, and considering how beloved parts 4-6 are not just to sci-fi fans but to several whole generations of Americans, I'm pretty certain that Lucas and Fox could have coughed up the money to make it happen. This is just doublespeak from Lucas to weasel around the fact that he doesn't want the original versions released.

4. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Once I get a Blu-Ray player, my first order is to get the Star Wars saga! :)

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, no kidding. :rolleyes:

"very, very expensive process" -- Gimme a break George, these will sell like hotcakes anyway. If you would just release the restored untampered with films, it'd be even more attractive to buyers. Hell, I'd settle for 1080i if that would make you happy.

But, I am excited about this and sure the films will look exceptional on the format. I just hope he doesn't tamper with them even more than he already has over the years.

6. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I am so tired of complaining about this. Lucas is a jerk. If it really was about the cost, I am sure a pre-order system could be set up to cover the expenses. But, I really have a hard time believing that it's too expensive for Lucas when a company like Shout can turn a profit off of Humanoids of the Deep.

7. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Greedo shoots first in HD, Booooo.

Original versions please George :bs:

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

This is a day one purchase, but with any luck Fox ensures this sees the same treatment that the Alien Anthology is receiving. Too expensive my ass, restore the movies George.

9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I'll stick with my standard rips of the Japanese laserdics until the day ever comes...

10. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

Lucas can included scenes never intended for release that were deleted from even the original showings but the core theatrical elements themselves are cost prohibitive and/or not worth including? These are just variants on the already remastered matter from the new editions so how much differing original footage are we talking about? :eek:

No thanks, I think I'll just stick to my Clone Wars in HD! :bs:

...but I'm still holding out hope the last 3 films of the scripted 9 movie series will end up getting made one way or another.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  11. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I'll purchase the Blu-Rays on day one... guaranteed.
    However, my Definitive Collection laserdiscs won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

12. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster Member

Hey, at least it didn't take 7 years for the original trilogy (in any form) to make it to this format. ;)

13. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Someone needs to beat Lucas over the head with the Blade Runner Blu-ray briefcase set. That set is, in my opinion, the standard by which all Blu-ray sets should be judged. Ridley Scott's version is the Final Cut but he still preserved the theatrical cut, international cut, director's cut and workprint editions on the set, in remastered 1080P. They may not have looked as immaculate as the Final Cut but they all look the best they've ever looked. He, and Warner Bros., understood that different fans have different preferences and they let them choose which version they liked. I think all Blu-rays should include all cuts, even if I'll never watch any other cut besides my preferred cut. Lucas just doesn't care about the fans.

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Don't forget Paramount remastered the entire Star Trek original series with the original special effects and newly created CGI. But Fox doesn't have the money to remaster both cuts of Star Wars? :rolleyes:

I won't be getting these, simply because I'm pretty sick of Star Wars in any version. If he put out the remastered theatrical cuts with the holiday special I'd still have to tell him it's too little too late. I've got the LD masters on SD-DVD, I'm done.

15. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

George Lucas has ruined Star Wars for me. I haven't seen Star Wars since the last round of disappointing box sets and may never watch it again.

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

According to Gary Kurtz (who co-created Star Wars with Lucas and quit while Return of the Jedi was in pre-production), there was never a master plan to make 9 movies and something Lucas pulled out of his butt well after the fact. The addition of the "Part IV" at the beginning of Star Wars was merely supposed to be an homage to the serials of the 40s like Flash Gordon, and nothing else. If Lucas ever does produce another 3 (and I don't think he will) they will no doubt be as poorly conceived as Episodes 1-3 were.

17. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

My thoughts exactly. I have the Laserdiscs and maybe that's the last version I will own.

18. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I bought the trilogy on VHS in 1993, the DVD trilogy and currently have bootlegs of the laserdiscs (in anamorphic widescreen, no less) and HDTV rips of the current trilogy (which look absolutely gorgeous, new SE effects aside). I'm done with supporting the whole thing, it's at the point where I feel like I'm paying for somebody to continually disappoint me.

19. RJ Fielder

RJ Fielder Member

The amount of grandstanding in this thread amuses me.

Anyway, the ROTJ deleted scene shown at Celebration V is pretty interesting and hopefully we'll get to see alot more where that came from. Looking forward to this set. Now how about Indy on BD, Mr. Lucas?

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I fucking hate George Lucas. Like Mattapooh, I too have the HD rips of the Special Editions and they look great. Unless the original theatrical versions are included, I'm not buying this (and I certainly don't give a rat's ass about the newer trilogy), as I have no reason to upgrade because the HD rips suit me just fine. But why the fuck does he absolutely refuse to release the original versisons? He's such a fucking shmuck-ass douchebag prick who doesn't give a rats ass about his fans - i.e. THE PEOPLE WHO MADE HIM AS DIRTY STINKING RICH AS HE IS TODAY. Costs too much? Is it because they're no longer YOUR preferred versions???....fuck you George Lucas, fuck you. Ridley Scott had every version of Blade Runner released (even though he only preferred ONE of the FIVE versions included), Spielberg had every version of Close Encounters included on the blu-ray, Friedkin had both versions of The Exorcist included, Fox has 2 versions of every Alien film included in the upcoming boxset, Coppola has both versions of Apocalypse Now included in the upcoming blu-ray....what the fuck is Lucas' issue? He's such a fuck it's UNBELIEVABLE. It's like he does it on purpose, just to piss people off.

This whole announcement reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8LZgH5-x_U

But when is American Graffiti getting released? I'd love to see that. IMO Lucas' best film.

~Matt