AKIRA - The Movie

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Deaddevilman, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Maybe this is old news for some but I just discovered that Warner Bros is making a live action version of AKIRA. Stephen Norrington (Director); James Robinson, Stephen Norrington (Screenwriters); Jon Peters (Producer). Hmmm.....

I've also heard that Astro Boy is being developed into a film as well. Henson Pictures is behind it and there is a rumor that the may approach Tim Buton to direct.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2003
  2. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I never had any problems with remakes, but I fear the transition from animation to live action will harm these projects, especially in the case of Akira. who knows, maybe SFX and technology will be able to pull off what happens in Akira (Tetsuo's transformation.....CGI? oh boy), I'm not going to scream 'oh my god no! it sucks already' like remake haters, but I'm not sure it will be a successful transition. Seems like they are just going off the popularity of anime really, I heard a DBZ movie is going to be made as well

3. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

It was only a matter of time before Hollywood jumped on board. The Japanese have been turning Anime into live action, not very successfully, except in horror for years.

4. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Heard about these a while ago... I guess it can't be much worse than the live-action Fist of the North Star :)

5. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

The only anime to live action movie I think I have seen was Guyver, and I guess it wasnt bad since its all just fighting and gore in the first place.
    I heard a Devilman live action is being produced as well, which I'm excited about

6. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

The Crying Freeman live action was good IMO. I don't know about Akira though, I can see it being mindnumbingly dumbed down to be more "accessable" for American audiences.

7. mafianinja

mafianinja Guest

I don't know if this counts but...

The Street Fighter film starring Scott Wolf and that suck ass from T2 is a fine film indeed. :evil:

8. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

That's Double Dragon... which was based on a video game, so not quite the same :) hehe.. Street Fighter was with Jean Claude Van Damme and Kiley Minogue :D

9. mafianinja

mafianinja Guest

I'm an idot

you're right...I'm dumb

10. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Haha... I think I should say I'm the dumb one for even caring to remember the difference :)