Adding your movie collection to Media Centers?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spitfire, Apr 16, 2011.

?

Do you use or would use XBMC or Windows Media Center?

1. Yes

23.5%
  2. No

76.5%
  1. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

Hello everyone,

I've been playing a bunch with a program called XBMC, and I know many of you might have heard of it, but what I didn't know was just how cool it can be to rewatch movies and to organize your movies. It also is so presentable and so much easier than looking for a movie, opening the disc, taking it out, putting in another, etc...

So my question is, how many of you have gone this route in storing your movies? I mean, I think the need to store thousands of movies will only get harder and harder to categorize it all.

So how many of you are using XBMC or other Media Centers?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Never heard of XBMC, don't even know how this works. I looked up wikki and I still have no clue :eek:
    So much for living under a rock ...

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Looks Apple oriented, and I am PC man myself. I use DVD Profiler. Used the trial version for a while, and got tired of the restrictions so I broke down and paid the $30 - well worth it.

4. dmeister

dmeister New Member

I considered storing all of my DVDs on a media server, but with around 1,800 DVDs, the storage capacity required is massive. Not to mention the work involved.

dmeister

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

http://xbmc.org/

This is there web site, it's basically an enhanced version of media center, very customizable!

6. adric

adric New Member

xbmc is microsoft program (xbox media center). i turned my old computer into an HTPC and added all my dvd rips to it and tv shows. its only function is to play movies so it runs fast. i really enjoy it. i actually dont use it to back up my dvd collection, i just use it to download torrents and add those to the media center. i recommed XBMC over all. its pretty awesome and had apps on it to connect to youtube and a bunch of others.

7. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I might be tempted to do something like this if there were less work involved. I imagine it would eliminate overscan when playing movies, but I don't always like to sit at my desk to watch movies/TV.

I have a suspicion though that one way or another something like this will be the future of home entertainment.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'd rather just throw in the DVD/Blu-ray to be honest. Opening a disc, burning it, storing it for that one day when I'll watch it seems like a wasted effort to me.

For anything streaming from my PC I use to use TVersity which was good but also comes out of the box with everything switched on. I found this out the hard way when I figured out it stored 20 gigs worth of every streaming video I've ever encountered (web spam and all). It did a lot of other little things like web tracking and sometimes this stuff blinked back on even when I turned it off!

So I switched to PS3 Media Server ( http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ ) and while sometimes it has trouble with the handshake to my PS3 it only does as advertised so I'll stick with that for awhile.

9. Mutilated Prey

Ah, I didn't realize this thing was actually playing/storing movies - thought it was just for inventory/list purposes. I'm all set with something like that for now.

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Basically what MP said.

This sounds neat but it would be too much work to make rips from all my DVDs.

11. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I actually use Media Center and TVersity a lot. I have both an Xbox and Playstation and I have all my media stored on an old computer that converted to a media server. And I absolutely love it.

However, I have yet to go the extra step of converting my DVD/BD discs. I've been meaning to experiment with all these digital copies that I have, but I also know that I am going to be setting up a new computer, so I've been holding off until then.

Excuses aside, I definitely love having all my media networked. It's so convenient for audio files and videos that I have gotten through torrents. And while it has resulted in my entire CD collection getting boxed, I am hesitant to say that I would got that way completely for my BD/DVD collection. I bought those discs because I wanted the best possible quality and to drop that down for the sake of storage space and convenience seems like too much of a sacrifice.

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I prefer to have physical copies of my films. Maybe someday I'll do a set-up like this, but I doubt it. I enjoy the ritual of taking a disc out of it's case and into the player too much now.

Does this help any with deciding what to watch? You know, when you're not sure just what you're in the mood for, and then stare at the racks for an hour trying to decide what to watch. DVD profiler is supposed to help this with it's random pick trick, but it never chooses anything I want at the time.

13. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah I have no interest in this and doubt I will any time soon. I am all about physical media and I love having a library of discs when friends come over. Half the fun is pulling out the case, checking out the art work, reading the back, ect. when deciding what to watch. Or getting a handful of discs to choose from and watching the one with the most votes.

14. Mutilated Prey

Yeah, I never wanna see the random pick they suggest either.

15. Fumi

Fumi Member

I'm not using anything like that yet, but I'm getting to the point where the family room is overrun with DVD's. I've been seriously thinking of getting a dedicated PC for my HDTV, putting all my movies on it, and clearing out all those sagging bookshelves.

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I've sold most of my DVD's and the ones I haven't upgraded to blu-ray yet are ripped to my hard drive. I have a 500gb hard drive in my PS3 so there's no need for streaming or anything like that as I store all of my favorites directly on the console.

17. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I actually played with a Media Center on my PS3. The PS3 doesn't handle subs very well, but I got an app that handled that. I set the thing up to stream all over the house wirelessly. It was cool.

Then - seriously - the F-ing PS3 burned out. And they wanted 150 to fix it. I was living on 100 a week..... so that was never going to happen.

Thank God I had the silver platters to go back to!

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i noticed that about subtitles when streaming from my laptop to the ps3. what kind of app are you talking about? i didn't know there was anything that could be done about it. will it work for avi's that have separate subtitle files?

oh, and, uh, by the way, welcome back, i guess. i've been here for almost 3 years, and every now and then somebody wonders "what happened to dwatts?" so its nice to finally meet you, as it were.

19. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I believe this is what I used:

http://www.calcitapp.com/AVIAddXSubs.php

It embeds the subs into the file, and you can simply choose the subs through the PS3. However, never ever delete that external subs file! Since the PS3 is such a pain, just because you embed them for the PS3 doesn't mean it'll work on the likes of VLC... so silly!

And hey - welcome to the site newbie. :D