Actor Corey Haim dies at age 38

Discussion in 'General' started by Rockmjd, Mar 10, 2010.

1. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

thanks for the info....there was no joke, I just remember that I had a CD of the group back during the earlier 80's (before this movie came out) and I had thought that was them. I'd never seen the group members before...Guess I'll see if I can find a video of them online somewhere.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It was pneumonia.

3. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Coroner report of "natural causes - pneumonia". Because drugs were ruled out as a "significant contributing factor" from a *toxicology* standpoint.

Basically by declaring it wasn't the presence of drugs that killed him they're conveniently ommiting that a history of drug abuse probably so weakened his system as to allow an opportunisitic infection to progress to fatal pneumonia. Sort of like saying a hit and run driver wasn't responsible for someone's death because they managed to stagger over to the curb, trip, and get a fatal concussion after the car drove off.

By "natural causes", I read it as "party like Corey Haim and it is natural to end up dying by age 38".

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Brent Chalem (The Monster Squad) also died quite young (22) from pneumonia. I also had a high school friend who died from pneumonia when he was just 19 years old.

His past drug use may have contributed, or it may not have. It's pure speculation otherwise. The human immune system is sometimes a fragile thing and can be influenced by any number of factors.

5. maybrick

Or it could've just been pneumonia. Plenty of otherwise healthy folks die from it, not just addicts. Jim Henson did, and he wasn't all that old either. By the same coin, there have been plenty of people who abused drugs just as long as Corey Haim did or even longer and are either still going strong or eventually died of old age. As Katatonia says, saying drugs contributed is pure speculation done by laypeople who know next to nothing about forensics. What you're in essence saying is that drug abusers can't die in any fashion without it being drug related. It's a patently ridiculous notion to have. Sometimes, random shit just plain happens to the best (and worst) of us.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  6. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

Maybrick, the fact that you argue emotionally instead of logically is one of those quirky things that make you so damn lovable. You do have a point and if we eradicated drug abuse, people would still die of unnatural causes.

That being said this dude was not only a drug addict but was also heavily medicated. All drugs are poisons and overextended use can take their toll on the system leaving you predisposed to any old bug that comes your way. Not to get all "butterfly wings" and "chaos theory" on ya but while the drug use didn't kill him it definitely helped put him on death's doorstep. In this particular instance you just can't omit that factor from the equation.

7. Katatonia

The Los Angeles coroner has stated that drugs found in his system played no contribution to his death. Was his immune system weakened by his past drug use? Probably so, but we'll never know whether they actually contributed to him catching pneumonia.

Corey Haim Died of Natural Causes, Not From Drugs

He had an abnormally large heart, damaged lungs and blocked coronary arteries. All of those could have been caused by a congenital defect which was never discovered before his death. It was the Pneumonia that ultimately killed him. His cigarette smoking over the years probably did more bodily damage than his drug use. Normal people who have never touched any drugs in their lives die from Pneumonia on a daily basis. Pneumonia can usually be found in the top 10 leading causes of death stats per year, and there are many different forms of Pneumonia. We still don't know what kind of Pneumonia he died from.

8. maybrick

Most of my arguments come from a point of logic, actually. You might have a case for me arguing emotionally if I happened to be a fan of Corey Haim, but I'm not. I've always thought he was a putz. But the autopsy report speaks for itself. Saying that his drug use contributed to his death when the report says otherwise is the standpoint that's "emotional", not mine. People were positive he died of a drug overdose, but now that it's been disproven they still refuse to change their beliefs despite the facts. That's just stubbornness in my book. It reminds me a little of when people realized Saddam didn't have weapons of mass destruction. Or how people refuse to believe that Obama was born an American. You'll believe whatever you have to in order to continue justifying your position, no matter how many solid facts run contrary to your argument.

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

The right drugs and doses can stregthen your system, just like swimming in muck and shit in the river when I was a kid gave me the strong immune system I have today.

Sorry I was quick to jump to conclusions on this, but the signs really were there and I don't think any medical benefit has been found in herion or even cocaine.

10. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

The coroner's report did not make a conclusion on drug *use*, it made a conclusion on drug *presence*. Saying the report "says otherwise" about one when it was making a statement strictly focussed on the other is patently false.

We can toss conjecture and emperical evidence around all day. I stand by my point - that the report deliberately sidestepped addressing the potential effects of long term drug use, and focussed on just immediate drug presence effects. And frankly concluding it probably was a contributing factor is a more logical stance than assuming it was not an issue merely because the report says drugs weren't in his system *at the time*.

11. maybrick

Everything we do from the moment of our birth until the our ultimate demise is a potential "contributing factor" in our death. It isn't a coroner's job to make suppositions about a person's lifestyle, only to report the findings based upon the cadaver they have to dissect. The only way he'd really know about Haim's drug abuse would be to either read the gossip rags or maybe check his prior medical records (if they'd even be available. I'm sure they're often not.) His enlarged heart could've been due to a number of factors: drug use, congenital birth defect, for all we know it could've been a lifelong love affair with Wendy's Bacon Cheeseburgers. It may feel logical to assume it was drug use, but aren't feelings and logic a bit contradictory? What would Mr. Spock say about this?

12. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

Yeah, sorry guys but you are patently wrong on this one. You are just gonna have to eat it. There is no research the proves that extended drug abuse boosts you immune system and enable you to live longer. Even if Corey had been clean and sober for months the damage was done and played a contributing factor to his death. Death statistics prove this. Research proves this. I don't know if you are just defending your own personal drug abuse or if just like arguing with your eyes closed and your fingers in your ears.

If you guys like believing in fairytales, well I don't want to spoil your fun.

13. maybrick

I'm sorry, but those are nothing but assumptions on your part. Neither Death statistics nor "research" prove what specific damage (if any) was done to Corey due to the drugs he took. Every case is different. The only thing that could prove that kind of thing would be his own personal medical records, and of course the autopsy which has clearly stated that drugs were not the cause of or contribute to his death. Besides, it's entirely possible to abuse drugs for years and only damage your liver, and the liver is the one organ with the ability to repair itself over time.

14. Katatonia

Exactly. I mean seriously...is there a doctor on this board? Have we seen the DETAILS of Corey Haim's autopsy report? Do we even know the type of Pneumonia he had? No. My best friend is a doctor in a major St. Louis hospital and deals with drug users and overdose cases all the time. Should I ask his opinion? :lol: I think he'd know a bit more than the expert witnesses in this thread. All I'm seeing otherwise are wild assumptions in this thread and no "evidence" to back it up.

15. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

[​IMG]

This gal was a meth user and she died a young age at 38. But according to your fuzzy logic, it would be absolutely ridiculous to assume that one had anything to do with the other. What if she died from a bee sting? Then the fact that she was a meth user would be inapplicable? It could only be considered relevant if she died from an overdose?

The truth is... the idea that both of these factors are mutually exclusive is actually your opinion. Its a wild assumption pulled out of your ass, not mine.

You need to back up your claim and provide evidence that conclusively proves that drug abuse doesn't increase mortality rates.

Try running that argument with a substance abuse counselor. He'll laugh in your face because he knows through experience that hardcore drug users live fast and die young.

16. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

^^^man, 32 to 34 were brutal years. Anyone who thinks about trying meth should take a good look at that. No way it'd ever be worth it.

17. Katatonia

Why the fuck are we even talking about Meth? :lol: :rolleyes: I know perfectly well what Meth does to people professor dirkwu. Now you're just getting way off topic, and I don't think you even understood what I was trying to say.

I NEVER said drugs don't affect a person and their health. I simply said we don't know how much (if at all) they affected Corey Haim's death from Pneumonia. The undeniable fact is that you don't know, and haven't seen the autopsy details. All you can do is make a wild assumption.

As I said before people die from Pneumonia all the time who have never touched a drug in their entire life. I knew one such person.

18. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

It's really hard to argue with you when you are proving my point.

19. Katatonia

:lol: Blah, blah, blah. ;)

20. maybrick

It could be TOTALLY inapplicable. :lol: Tons of young, HEALTHY people die of anaphylactic shock from bee stings all of the time. Why don't you know that?

Drug abuse increases mortality rates, that much is true, Dirkwu. But the assumption that every single death suffered by a drug user is therefore causally related to drug abuse is a prime example of what is known as "false logic". Drug abuse only raises probabilities of early death, but it isn't an automatic death sentence. The two things don't have to be connected.